Lt. Commander
# 221
02-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevedis View Post
so your admiting to trolling the forums with all those i quit threads you made, when you in fact havent quit

gotacha
not to mention freeloading off the people he mentioned there by having his attention on the forums...
Lt. Commander
# 222
02-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
As near as I can tell, a $15 a month subscription in 2004 SHOULD COST $17 in 2009. The problem is, you'd need to do it without losing subscribers.

MTs allow games like this to keep the monthly fee at $15 while trying to get the average amount spent per player closer to the adjusted for inflation average.

I don't see any evidence that Cryptic is adding much more to the CStore than what it would take to get average subscriber revenue up to $17, which is reasonable for an MMO comparable to the MMOs five years ago. However, they're giving you the option not to take the price hike adjusted for inflation by letting optional purchases raise the price.

They could theoretically raise the price of box sales to cover for inflation but, honestly, they'd lose more players at the entry level that way. They could raise monthly fees but they'd scare away players.

How do you propose MMOs raise prices at the rate of inflation without microtransactions?

I am glad someone else understands this issue. So many people turn a blind eye to it and rage about it, but the truth of the matter is that these companies have been running off of an antiquated pricing scheme. MMO companies NEED to find a way to bring in extra money to make their games profitable.

A lot of people seem to think that the only cost of running a business is the time invested and that any money made is pretty much pure profit. That is just so incredibly wrong in the vast majority of cases.

I won't go off on a rant though. Suffice it to say that Cryptic needs a little extra money than subscriptions will provide and the C-Store helps with that. You don't have to participate in the C-Store, but I probably will and I won't mind it one bit.
Lt. Commander
# 223
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevedis View Post
so your admiting to trolling the forums with all those i quit threads you made, when you in fact havent quit

gotacha
I bought the lifetime sub so I can talk to you.
Lt. Commander
# 224
02-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrishmal View Post
I am glad someone else understands this issue. So many people turn a blind eye to it and rage about it, but the truth of the matter is that these companies have been running off of an antiquated pricing scheme. MMO companies NEED to find a way to bring in extra money to make their games profitable.

A lot of people seem to think that the only cost of running a business is the time invested and that any money made is pretty much pure profit. That is just so incredibly wrong in the vast majority of cases.

I won't go off on a rant though. Suffice it to say that Cryptic needs a little extra money than subscriptions will provide and the C-Store helps with that. You don't have to participate in the C-Store, but I probably will and I won't mind it one bit.
Personally, the only solution I can see to ease MT concerns is to offer buffet-style content and roll out new MT content monthly.

Y'Know, pay an extra $5 a month to get unlimited access to all past and current items on the store. Take away items after a six month turn on the store.

That way, you can have a guarantee that you'll never go broke buying MTs because there's an effective price cap.

For those who choose not to pay for the "buffet" service, roughly $7.50-10 worth of MTs could be added every month for you to choose from.

Obviously, you'd have some people who'd only do the buffet once every few months but by cycling content on and off the store and always having a new incentive next month, I think you'd have a chance with a model like that.

Realistically, Cryptic needs to average over $15 per sub. The worst fears of the community seem to be rooted in the idea that you might have to regularly pay high sums to get everything or even a few needed quality of life updates and fixes. I think you could get around that with a buffet-style package or a "Book of the Month" program where $5 a month guarantees you access to one of everything from the store.

(Ie. For Champions, you could buy stuff ala carte or $5 a month for a year and get every new item on the store each month plus one rename, plus one respec and one of any other service they add. Effectively a MT subscription plan.)
Lt. Commander
# 225
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Pardon if this has already been asked, there's no search feature. Is there any word why the two races in the C-Store are different prices?
Lt. Commander
# 226
02-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjalo311 View Post
I don't understand this concept....what did you call it, "stuff"? What is stuff?
Aww you think you're being clever. It's cute really.
Lt. Commander
# 227
02-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrishmal View Post

This argument might hold water if that 15 a month left them struggling to cover the costs. Thing is when they switched to that price way back when, companies were making a killing off it. Even now it should still be a good profit, but both of us would be making assumptions in that regard. Considering you're essentially buying the game every 4 months, or every 4 subscriptions is equal to a full new game price a month.

It's almost fascinating, but more frustrating how some of you are so eager to just toss your money away AND BEG TO DO SO. If the MMO community at large simply came out and said No, we will not pay for content via MT when we pay a full monthly sub, then this crap would stop and you would get the EXACT SAME CONTENT you would otherwise based off the monthly sub that is supposed to get it for you in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 228
02-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSpeck View Post
Pardon if this has already been asked, there's no search feature. Is there any word why the two races in the C-Store are different prices?
I would imagine because Ferengi are neutral and thereby would be uncommon in the Federation, while Klingons should be almost non-existent.
Lt. Commander
# 229
02-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
No, it is a reactionary "What if" scenario that forces the worst case scenario as actual fact. It presupposes one possible scenario as the only probable outcome, and all others are therefore moot.

As a Journalist, I was taught NOT to use phrases such as this, especially this one, because it is an illogical conclusion.

But Politicians and watchdogs, as you mention, use it all the time to sway emotional issues towards their own opinion without allowing facts and logic get in the way. They argue one batsquat crazy option, like for example in Gay Marriage where they say suddenly people will marry their pets, and use that to get people emotionally outraged over complete fallacy.

"Slippery Slope" is only used when you have no logical argument and want the debate ruled by emotion and nonsense.
Where were you a "journalist"?

I worked for Gannett for almost seven years, and the Associated Press for another three. And I don't see how the phrase is a "contradictory what if scenario" when the person using the phrase is pointing to something concrete.

Creating a microtransaction system IS a slippery slope if the initial offerings are cosmetic, but the possibility remains for game-changing items down the road. And given Cryptic's history, that's not a wild assumption.

I'd love to know where you worked. I've seen quite a few people brag online about being "journalists" only to find out they worked for their college newspaper, or some craptastic weekly where the reporters can't even handle covering city council meetings. Sorry, that doesn't count.