Lt. Commander
# 21
02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Not a single MMORPG ever produced has ever received anything above a personal C+ grade. This is because I am a burgeoning MMORPG designer myself. No game I have ever played has had the depth and scope of my personal designs.
eh...not to flame, but do you think they haven't heard from hundreds of other amateur "burgeoning" whatevers before? Honestly there is a difference between the thought of "personal designs", and actually making said designs a reality.

Plus, look at your suggestions - they are just the same old rehashed stuff from other games. e.g. Player Housing, more Classes, better Crafting. No "new paradigms" there.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Epic post.

I honestly expected bel air, but it was well thought out and made very good points that any rational person can agree with.

Good show.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracane
i think the OP has a well written and constructed post. a lot of it is just opinion, but not bad nonetheless.

i just find it REALLY FUNNY, that you berate everyone else who doesnt see your viewpoint and you gush over this. too funny.

just a statement.

otherwise, best of luck tot he OP on his wanting to develop an MMO. i know the requirements and throughout my own expectations, i know its no easy task. let us know what it is when you finish
Don't you do the same? when was the last time you agreed with someone who had something overly positive to say about STO? also i would give more value to your word if you pay for the game and experience it for yourself? thats the best way to give feedback like OP did. You stick to negativity and i will stick to positive ones, its like yin and yang, have to keep the balance or world will explode.

Any ways not to go off topic because i don't want to turn this topic into whine fest but i guess some people just can't resist.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho
eh...not to flame, but do you think they haven't heard from hundreds of other amateur "burgeoning" whatevers before? Honestly there is a difference between the thought of "personal designs", and actually making said designs a reality.
Yeah, I realize there are others like me. There always will be. I'm not even saying that I'm better than they are or that my ideas, which have not actually have been truly related here, are any different.

BTW, it is not a fame, it is a valid line of inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho
Plus, look at your suggestions - they are just the same old rehashed stuff from other games. e.g. Player Housing, more Classes, better Crafting. No "new paradigms" there.
The new paradigm I was speaking of was not in the features I suggested. It is actually in the development process.

Also, rehash is the essence of progress. Nothing ever made or invented by anyone throughout history was truly "new". All things made that seem to progress forward are always a reassembly or reconfiguration of past iterations of a concept or a technology. Everything we have can be traced back through history to the point of no record and even then it can be traced back via found artifact. there is no difference between a rock knife and a modern metal knife other than millennium of refinement but a modern knife is still "new". The idea of New is just that, and idea, not a reality.

So, are my suggestions new? No, not really. Are they invalid because they are not new? No, not at all.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyx
Don't you do the same? when was the last time you agreed with someone who had something overly positive to say about STO? also i would give more value to your word if you pay for the game and experience it for yourself? thats the best way to give feedback like OP did.
i have multiple times. most of it is in the beta forums though.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
A well written post containing a lot of thruth.

There is hope that if the game receives enough support in terms of subscription count Cryptic might go for this direction. One of the key success factors of the popular MMO(RPG)s out there is that they managed to keep (over) the "critical mass" in terms of customers, supplying the development company with enough funds to sustain continuous development with a large enough team.

While I do see a certain chance that this mightl happen, I am sticking with one particular part of the OP's statement: not thinking (too much) about what could be, but take the game as it actually is now. This part is fun as it is and will keep me entertained for a good while.
Waiting for "could be at some point"s however is a dangerous path and if I did that I would still be in SWG now, 6 years after launch, waiting for those guild-based capital ships etc.

On the bottom line, the first step for STO towards seeing a development style implemented as suggested by the OP, will be to appeal to enough players. Our combined subscription count has to reach that critical mass and we will have come a long way towards that special content upgrade already.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn

I say to Cryptic: Donít fall into industry patterns of the past. Donít fall back and dig the trench every other MMORPG studio has. Charge forward and really make STO what it could be rather than what it is.
Well written post. But just like to correct or maybe expand on this. When say and dig the trench every other MMORPG studio has that must also include Cryptic. So it would be more correct to tell Cryptic not to fall back into their own past and to change their management of a MMO so that STO can be a great game. If don't know Cryptic made Champions Online and have IMO have given up on the game and all the CO subscribers.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
In an effort to get cream to rise to the top, I too approve of this thread. It would be a travesty to have the STO universe evolve by complaining rather than constructive criticism.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-03-2010, 04:02 PM
The bright side about even good topics getting burried within minutes on this forum is that the game does seem to have attracted a whole lot of active people. Even though way too many topics are unconstructive, it suggests that there is a rather large interested playerbase, especially considering that there are a whole lot more people actively playing and enjoying the game compared to what is usually just vocal minority, numbers wise, that is seen on forums.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Great post.