Lt. Commander
May I suggest that the devs add some kind of training simulator where we can play out certain gameplay scenarios? We can always pretend that these are training scenarios which Starfleet officers have to play out in order to prepare themselves for the "real world"

Why am I suggesting this? Basically, there are many gameplay aspects of STO that I love a lot, except that with the given current missions, I feel that I am just not getting enough satisfaction(gratification) with the missions/content at the moment.

For example, space combat, I love space combat. However, I feel that the current content gives ships which may be not difficult or challenging enough to some players. Also, most missions seem to not want to hinder players from progressing and has this element of attempting to guarantee success to players.

So, I would like to suggest the following scenarios which we can dress up as training simulators(or holodecks?)

1. The Gauntlet
The current space combat is sort of tailored towards 3 1-pip ships per player. To some, this is easy. How about a gauntlet challenge where a player, or team or players are put up against increasing numbers of enemy ships till they finally fold. Once you lose your ship, you do not respawn till everyone loses their ship.

As a given benefit, developers can use this as a datamining exercise to better gauge or balance the game's difficulty.

2. Evacuate the starbase
So far, I find that most of the rescue or evacuate the civilian missions involve an invulnerable target basically. All you do is defeat the enemies and you will evacuate or rescue the civilians. Again, I do understand why this is. Some might just find it impossible to rescue the civilians. The AI is relentless, whereas we might have reasons to go AFK at times.

However, again, why can't we have scenarios where you can actually have casualties? Take for example a planetary blockade. You can have 25 civilian ships evacuating a planet from a Klingon blockade. The Klingons can actually destroy the civilian ships and you have to try and keep as many alive as possible. Make it such that you can even fail!

3. Kobayashi Maru
Do I need to say more? Don't ALL captains have to go through this?
(I'm not a trekkie. I don't know what this is, I would love to see it though.)

4. Ground combat scenarios
I don't think I need to give too many ideas on this. A lot of ground conflict happens. At least I think so since I just had a look at the plot for Nemesis.

There are enough Quake, Unreal, Doom games to give enough of an inspiration for this, isn't it? No capture the flag please! That is so unrealistic.

5. Multi objective cooperative missions
Most missions would involve mobbing an objective. Defeat 20 Birds of Prey. 100 Fed ships fly to same spot and bully 1 Bird of Prey at a time. Finish objective. Defeat 10 battlecuisers. 100 Fed ships fly to same spot and bully 1 battlecruiser at a time.

Why not create missions where you have 2 events going on at once? You can have Klingon ships attacking a starbase, so you need 1 fleet defeating Klingon ships as best as they can, while another fleet within the same map has to go destroy a strike fleet that is destroying some shield generator.

Some of you might argue that Fleet Actions fulfill these. Do they? I would say Fleet Actions are unfulfilling in these aspects. Fleet Actions are basically a mob fest. Also, they are just multistaged missions where against it's impossible to fail.

Also, I am not asking for rewards. Feel free to add rewards although I suspect if you add rewards, they will get farmed. All I want are these training simulators(or holodecks) to be added, where we can start this anytime, have a few minutes of quick fun gameplay. Sometimes, we don't have a lot of time to play a full mission. We can log in, start one of these missions, log off. Smile. No rewards, no matter. Just a few quick minutes of gratification.

Devs, please?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
yes yes!! ... I totally agree with this! and would love to see training scenarios. You can rename them as Starfleet Academy or something on that type of theme.

Just please don't make it like the CoX Mission Architect... *facepalm
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
+1 this is a GREAT idea
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Something like the Skirmish System in LOTRO
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Koayashi Maru is, of course, a great idea...

...but, you do realize, it's a "no win scenario"

But still, even to get an accolade having tried it is cool!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by socom242 View Post
Koayashi Maru is, of course, a great idea...

...but, you do realize, it's a "no win scenario"

But still, even to get an accolade having tried it is cool!
It's part of the point for this suggestion. Some of the scenarios are plain no-wins. Like the Gauntlet, waves keep coming till eventually a wave is so big it just overwhelms you.

Sometimes, we just want to have fun pitting ourselves against overwhelming odds. The Kobayashi Maru should be one such canonical challenge.