Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilsandwich View Post
or perhaps "he" is a casual gamer that only has a few hours at most per day to play, and when those few hours are of the same game play over and over again, it becomes tedius and not fun at all. hmmmm. not 1 other mmo comes to mind that has 60 levels and 3 quests that just scale with level. "he" could also argue the lack of "mm" in "mmorpg". This game was rushed to release on time because cryptic got a 20 million bonus for releasing on time. It's true. Look it up. Can you honestly say that this game can hold your attention for more than a few months? Please explain to me what you will be doing once your done leveling. Explore? craft? instances? hmmmm....
...and phasers that shoot cotton candy on a beam of happy rainbows would also be awesome...

You're own flaw in thinking is present in the words you choose to describe the game ...."leveling"... You see the game as leveling, hence, you find the most routine and inattentive (perhaps some would say "efficient") method of doing so... You allude to "what are you supposed to do when you're done leveling?" ....So completing levels is your idea of the whole game experience as it is...

Well, you can be an admiral in a day or two if you sit in front of your computer drooling through the easiest possible way of leveling... and then you are bored... which is perhaps what brings you here today...

Also note: the allusion to the 20 million dollar bonus kind of implies that you have a bias beneath all of your other motivations as well...

I played all through beta... I took *vacation days* for head-start... and I've played solidly through go-live to now...and I am seeing new things every single time I'm in the game... Missions that are new and cool, stories that are fun... Content I didn't know was there...

and yet I *still* am not even *close* to finished with all the stuff they designed into the game...

I simply don't believe you are...

I'm with you on the crafting, I'm with you on a lot of what you want...*and more*... but prematurely judging something that I am pretty confident you didn't really even pay attention to except for PewPew + Energy Drink + PewPew discredits *any* and *every* lucid, credible argument anyone is making about this game being boring....
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
WoW can't hold my attention for more then the few months it takes me to burn through all the content in an Xpac. Longest I have ever played an MMO straight was a year and a half of EvE.
i admit i quit wow and will likely never go back, simply because i found that i simply dont have the time to keep up with the unemployed. So basically there was *too* much content (for me).

I played Starwars galaxies from beta up until recently, although new content isnt added regularly, the game is so big that you can use the existing content and keep goin for years.

Now STO.. there really isnt anything different to try.. say in WoW i was a rogue and now i want to be a mage - totally different. Or in SWG Jedi/Bh, same thing. here? lets see.. kill **** slowly in a big ship, or kill **** quickly in a fast ship.. gameplay unaltered. Nothing new to learn, just like running with shoes on, or running barefoot, essentially the same ****.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someGit View Post
...and phasers that shoot cotton candy on a beam of happy rainbows would also be awesome...

You're own flaw in thinking is present in the words you choose to describe the game ...."leveling"... You see the game as leveling, hence, you find the most routine and inattentive (perhaps some would say "efficient") method of doing so... You allude to "what are you supposed to do when you're done leveling?" ....So completing levels is your idea of the whole game experience as it is...

Well, you can be an admiral in a day or two if you sit in front of your computer drooling through the easiest possible way of leveling... and then you are bored... which is perhaps what brings you here today...

Also note: the allusion to the 20 million dollar bonus kind of implies that you have a bias beneath all of your other motivations as well...

I played all through beta... I took *vacation days* for head-start... and I've played solidly through go-live to now...and I am seeing new things every single time I'm in the game... Missions that are new and cool, stories that are fun... Content I didn't know was there...

and yet I *still* am not even *close* to finished with all the stuff they designed into the game...

I'm with you on the crafting, I'm with you on a lot of what you want...*and more*... but prematurely judging something that I am pretty confident you didn't really even pay attention to except for PewPew + Energy Drink + PewPew discredits *any* and *every* lucid, credible argument anyone is making about this game being boring....

I'm level 18atm. I have completed just about every quest given to me - none of them I found "enjoyable". This game is a grind. What else is there to do other than "leveling" ? If there was a way to explore, that's what I would be doing. Your opinion of me if flawed, I am not a power leveler, I am not some kid who spends 20 hours repeating the same thing. I like to explore, craft, find new things, especially in a game that is brand new and you might be finding content that no one else has ever seen before.

My point is that exploring is non existant. The only thing to do is level. "away team" missions are the same ****, you are on an empty planet, if you have to kill 5 enemies, then there are only 5 enemies. Player interaction is nearly non existant. ****, even if you're in a group, then you all go to a planet or sector, you get split up onto different servers. It's like this game was designed for 20 levels, but they copy/pasted and magically became 60 levels.

I'm more than eager for you to tell me the name of a quest that is more than "scan x objects" or "kill x enemies"
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Can you honestly say that this game can hold your attention for more than a few months? Please explain to me what you will be doing once your done leveling. Explore? craft? instances? hmmmm....
I know the question was not directed at me, but I am a "bite sized player" so getting to the end is not a race and would take a while, I intend to journey through the missions rather than rinse, repeat, or in other words I'd intend to play the game. I'd imagine other professions should pose strongly enough to make me question if their roles would challenge me. I know people like to do other roles and repeat the game just to see how those other roles should be done, to their mind, competently.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Quote:
I'm more than eager for you to tell me the name of a quest that is more than "scan x objects" or "kill x enemies"
I prefer the ground missions to the space fighting but in the two I see possibilities, ie more complicated realistic ground fighting which will excite me and test my level of skill and in space, dogfighting that will really test my level of skill.

Lets look at the rewards a second, ideally when you look at a selection of 4 shields for your ship, you may wake up to the idea, that mathematically they're all the same. On paper. In reality, each of those 4 types of shields would be beneficial to 4 different types of players. The question is, for me, which one am I? What am I doing? What suits my playstyle? The endgame should be all about skill. When I PvP within a tight lvl range and get beat, I should be pretty much be beat partly to mostly around skill.

I think the mission rewards might already go someway to suit 4 types of players when there are 4 types of the same thing in name. You can get 3 types of players that are nearer 3 extremes, damage, debuffs/support and defense and 1 type of player that switches between. It won't be exact but near enough to say that players would have to pick the right reward to suit how they play thus making things about skill and knowledge. If it does that, then finally I am all into PvP. Kind of a holy grail thing but for me that would be cool. Way this game is looking so far I am prolly seriously looking into PvP.

Not only do I like to play a game but eventually I like to get amongst the cogs of it and understand its workings minus the programming OFC!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lani
I prefer the ground missions to the space fighting but in the two I see possibilities, ie more complicated realistic ground fighting which will excite me and test my level of skill and in space, dogfighting that will really test my level of skill.

Lets look at the rewards a second, ideally when you look at a selection of 4 shields for your ship, you may wake up to the idea, that mathematically they're all the same. On paper. In reality, each of those 4 types of shields would be beneficial to 4 different types of players. The question is, for me, which one am I? What am I doing? What suits my playstyle? The endgame should be all about skill. When I PvP within a tight lvl range and get beat, I should be pretty much be beat partly to mostly around skill.

I think the mission rewards might already go someway to suit 4 types of players when there are 4 types of the same thing in name. You can get 3 types of players that are nearer 3 extremes, damage, debuffs/support and defense and 1 type of player that switches between. It won't be exact but near enough to say that players would have to pick the right reward to suit how they play thus making things about skill and knowledge. If it does that, then finally I am all into PvP. Kind of a holy grail thing but for me that would be cool. Way this game is looking so far I am prolly seriously looking into PvP.

Not only do I like to play a game but eventually I like to get amongst the cogs of it and understand its workings minus the programming OFC!

i havent trained any of my bridge officers for any ground combat skills, i have never bought any item, i use what i loot. right now i'm using a mark II rifle at level 18. I have never died on the ground. Sorry but I think challenging = fun. I'm not doing anything special, i'm not cheating, I'm not some sort of amazing player; I am average joe gamer and am not challenged in the least bit when it comes to ground combat. There basically is only 1 playstyle in this game, run to the enemy, kill it, repeat. The 3 "classes" in this game are essentially the same, I have yet to find a quest where i need to heal or tank or even sit backand try to pick off the enemies 1 at a time (if thats even possible). This is why I am already bored. Space is at least somewhat fun/challenging. Although it seems that its A- WAY too easy, or B-WAY too hard (ie fleet action missions that you try to solo). There is little customization in space, as the end result is the same - kill **** before it kills you - sometimes you tank and kill it slow, sometimes you dps and kill it fast, either way is the same result.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someGit View Post

I shouldn't need to use my imagination to enhance core elements of the game that are not there. There is nothing to do except mission mission mission level, of course he sees it as leveling, that's the entire point. This game feels 10 years old at least, it's a minor distraction like minesweeper, not challenging, not massive, barely multiplayer, it's for people who want to pretend that they're Bill Shatner, Patrick Stewart, etc. At best it's a game that's played when the game you actually want to play is down for a server patch. It's oversimplified and can be played drunk with a blindfold on. Apologies for the general negativity, I expected so much more out of an "MMO" associated with the Star Trek franchise. Pitfall, for the _real_ Atari, was more challenging. STO is the perfect game for baby boomers... I'm sorry I wasted my money... good luck.