Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 147
# 21
02-05-2014, 06:47 AM
I solo gates in ESTFs (Infected, Khitomer) in my Scimitar @point-blank range. Try that in a Fed/KDF-ship....
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,459
# 22
02-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpig74 View Post
I solo gates in ESTFs (Infected, Khitomer) in my Scimitar @point-blank range. Try that in a Fed/KDF-ship....
Easily done by my Fed toon.
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,739
# 23
02-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
No they're not, unless those ships are Battle Cloak-capable, which to my knowledge, none are. Some may get trick-sy access to Battle Cloaks, but they are not inherent to the ship..
it's rather expensive, but any voth ship with all 3 voth consoles can get battle cloak, it's still battle cloak, even if it is "tricksy" as you put it, so long as al three are equipped, you get battle cloak.


personally, my rom sci is loving the dyson science destroyer, even if it is free. I'll admit i use it a bit more aggresively than i should and end up blowing up a bit, but considering unless im 10+KM away from the dreadnought in Breach, im usually the only thing it fires at. meaning those DPS Escorts arent doing their job if they cant pull aggro off a 4k DPS ship (not counting sci skill damage).
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.

Last edited by tenkari; 02-06-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 35
# 24
02-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Romulan Captains and Bridge Officers are almost certainly at their strongest in any ship with a cloak, preferably one with a Battle Cloak; the traits on the Bridge Officers might as well be called YOU SHOULD BE USING AMBUSH MORE OFTEN.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,459
# 25
02-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
it's rather expensive, but any voth ship with all 3 voth consoles can get battle cloak, it's still battle cloak, even if it is "tricksy" as you put it, so long as al three are equipped, you get battle cloak.


personally, my rom sci is loving the dyson science destroyer, even if it is free. I'll admit i use it a bit more aggresively than i should and end up blowing up a bit, but considering unless im 10+KM away from the dreadnought in Breach, im usually the only thing it fires at. meaning those DPS Escorts arent doing their job if they cant pull aggro off a 4k DPS ship (not counting sci skill damage).
Agro doesn't always come in the form of dps, if you can potentially disable or render vessels virtually useless they will find you to be just as big of threat.
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,278
# 26
02-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by no09dysonsphere View Post
Of course not. There's only 2 things I look for in a sci ship - 1) commander sci seating and 2) maneuverability. As far as I'm concerned, the main draw of a sci ship is gravity well 3, anything else and you're playing an escort with support abilities, not an actual sci ship. Looking at the Romulan warbird lineup, only the Hanom has the first criteria and having flied it I can say it absolutely sucks on the second (not just because it has a mediocre turn rate but also because it's just so big it even appears clunkier to fly), and these are all observations I've made never having even owned the Vesta. From a tactical/escort captain point of view, warbirds are hands down the best ships a Romulan captain can fly, but only the Hanom offers a sci experience and flying it is like driving a dump truck.
Not sure how you consider a ship, the Hanom, with a turn rate of 10 a "Dump Truck" which is the same turn rate that the nimble KDF Vor'Cha / Fleet Torkhat has. You guys are ridiculously spoiled in maneuverability.

Cryptic's Development Philosophy for the KDF & PVP
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 369
# 27
02-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpig74 View Post
I solo gates in ESTFs (Infected, Khitomer) in my Scimitar @point-blank range. Try that in a Fed/KDF-ship....
I solo gates on both my tac reman and tac fed characters in both fleet and lockbox ships, Without even breaking combat once. Its no biggie, especially with all the power creep recently.

The fact is, if setup correctly, a Reman/Romulan captain can have very good damage potential in a warbird provided they cloak a lot. However, people can whine about cloak + dagger all they like, but i see most Romulan players very rarely cloak. They just get engrossed in shooting everything and dont want to break from it for 5 seconds to get a 23 second 25% damage buff. If you are taking fire then its not always the best idea due to the fact your shields drop but if you use evasive at the same time or something else that increases defense then its more viable.

Or you could get a scimitar with the 2 piece console set bonus, and wipe everything out every 23 seconds just recloak and get back that 23 second decloak damage and turn rate buff with your 5 forward firing weapons and 5 tac console slots.....lol.

One of the best thing about Romulan faction captains is their boffs. These transfer well over to either lockbox or warbirds equally. It all boils down to if you use cloaking a lot. Its not that much of a difference, but they do enhance cloaking by a great deal. More than any KDF or Fed captain could come close to.

EDIT: To get back to the OP, i would say it makes far less difference what ship you fly if you are a sci Reman/Romulan.
Rake Morgrave - Federation Human
Fade Akira - Federation Reman
Reza Malin - KDF Nausicaan
" Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first and the lessons after..."
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 28
02-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiwan View Post
It depends, truly.
PVP? Yes.
PVE? Not so much. No matter how one sets up a warbird, plasmonic leech inclusive(engineer exclusive though - they have a mad power-boost ability), you will never see AMP singularity core bonus from all 4 subsystems consistently. Best you can get is guaranteed 3 with Aux to battery. Slip into any matter-antimatter core ship, especially those with native (non-combat) cloak, and your damage goes up by quite a bit due to full AMP nigh-instantly upon entering combat.
(Said with experience - having flown both the Fleet Dhelan and the Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer. The latter does more DPS just due to that base power level setup, even with 1 less tactical console.)
No. Just no.

You can get full AMP easily with a romulan ship. With the amount of power-creep in-game and the amount of ludicrous consoles and other things you can get, in all honesty you don't even NEED the full AMP bonus. That's what, another 3% damage (since it's safe to assume you can easily get at least 3 power levels to above 75) you're losing? Woo hoo.

Warbirds are freakin MONSTERS in all aspects of the game. They have few weaknesses (if any at all) and there is one for every role. There is NO reason whatsoever to use anything BUT warbirds as a Romulan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revandarklighter View Post
I think Romulans are most powerful is lockbox ships....
I think you need to stop drinking the cool-aid.

The only lockbox ship that Romulans don't have an equivalent (if not better) warbird for is the Recluse.

(fleet level is assumed for the following comparisons)

Lock Box Ships (the most commonly used ones anyways):
Galor: Haapex, Haakona, Scimitar
JHAS: Dhelan, Ha'feh, Mogai, Scimitar, Ar'kif
D'kora: Why bother?
Orb Weaver: Ha'nom, Dhelan, Aves (going on an assumption here, but I think it's a pretty safe one)
TAD: See JHAS
Wells (or the Romulan equivalent anyways): See Orb Weaver
Bulwark: See Galor
Hunter Escort: See JHAS

Lobi Store Ships:
Recluse: ONLY EXCEPTION
Mobius: Dhelan, Mogai, Scimitar
Apex: See Galor
JHDC: Ar'kif, Scimitar (another POSSIBLE exception)

Special Ships:
Chel Gret: Mogai, Dhelan
Risian Corvette: See JHAS
Plesh Brekh: See JHAS

Long story short, there is a warbird for every role you can imagine. There is NO reason whatsoever for a Romulan to use anything else. They even have ships that can do things NO OTHER SHIPS IN THE GAME CAN. Ex. D'deridex, Scimitar.

So to OP, yes, please, get your friend into a warbird. He has NO reason to spend millions of EC/tons of lobi/zen for a lockbox ship.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,619
# 29
02-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Long story short, there is a warbird for every role you can imagine. There is NO reason whatsoever for a Romulan to use anything else.
OK I cannot pass this.

You already said the Recluse is a exception because its a full carrier that doesnt exist in the Romulan shipyards, even the Scimitar is about a half carrier and is not very suitable to work as a carrier.

I would put the JHDC on the same list because its also a full carrier, one weapon short of the Scimitar maybe but still on capable hands a machine of destruction.

So here is one, now the second.

The Temporal Science ship is one of the best, if not the best scince ships and the Romulans get the half-warbird/half-science ship that I dont like or found particularly good and they have their only science ship, the Ha'nom that isnt as science as the Federation counterparts.

So thats TWO ships, plus Romulans only tanks is the D'deridex and the Haakona.

There is about one thing the Romans can do, decloaking alpha because thats what warbirds do, anything else they can "kinda" do but not as effective as a actual true ships of that line and science ships DO have a lot of power requirements because none are Vestas that can just run full Aux all the time.

What you said was about this ... the only thing that matters in the game is DPS and since Warbirds are kinda borked but favor Decloaking Alpha and problems with stealth detection (serious, you only get problems with stealth with singularity changes that would be none at opening decloaking Alpha, I can understand why they did it but on the other hand I dont understand why they did it because its just something that works on paper but not in the reality the game is played) they simply are better at it but beyond that? No, they arent ... -40 power is a heavy price that since everyone on a Warbird just Decloak Alpha dont have to worry about anyway, just load on buffs and let it rip, recloak ... but what happens after that when their precious cloak is negated?
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 30
02-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
OK I cannot pass this.

You already said the Recluse is a exception because its a full carrier that doesnt exist in the Romulan shipyards, even the Scimitar is about a half carrier and is not very suitable to work as a carrier.

I would put the JHDC on the same list because its also a full carrier, one weapon short of the Scimitar maybe but still on capable hands a machine of destruction.
Hence why I stated in my post that they are exceptions. I am fully aware of both ships capabilities and weaknesses. Hence why they are the exceptions that I very specifically stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
So here is one, now the second.

The Temporal Science ship is one of the best, if not the best scince ships and the Romulans get the half-warbird/half-science ship that I dont like or found particularly good and they have their only science ship, the Ha'nom that isnt as science as the Federation counterparts.
How is the Ha'nom not as sciency as the fed counterpart? It's EXACTLY like the Reconnaissance Science Vessel. It has an identical console and BOff layout to said ship. You don't believe me? Here's a reference: Ha'nom, Recon Science Vessel. The two ships are identical in every way except for turn rate (easily dealt with by skills and a good engine), inertia (which is a null point due to the fact it's high enough that the ships are easy to control), and crew size (which is a null point due to crew mechanics being borked beyond belief).

I am not denying that the Wells is a great ship, quite the opposite, I think it's an outstanding science vessel, but with the new Dyson Destroyer coming out, the Romulans will get a ship that can stand up to it in ability (again, like I said, this is an assumption based on the fact that they will have a 10 console C-store version, and I am not referring to it's cheese consoles). The Dyson Destroyer is possibly even equal to the VESTA in it's ability (and I have heard and read in many places that it's called the Besta, not Vesta XD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
So thats TWO ships, plus Romulans only tanks is the D'deridex and the Haakona.
Um... Don't forget the Ha'apex. She is most definitely a tank. Also the Mogai is incredibly tanky due to it's BOff layout, as is the Scimitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
There is about one thing the Romans can do, decloaking alpha because thats what warbirds do, anything else they can "kinda" do but not as effective as a actual true ships of that line and science ships DO have a lot of power requirements because none are Vestas that can just run full Aux all the time.
Actually... Romulan ships can do far more than just decloaking alphas. I have Romulan ships that can sustain more damage than their fed counterparts, can tank longer and harder, and can do sciency magic just as well as their fed counterparts.

There are also lots that Warbirds can do that there is NO counterpart to. IE all their hybrid ships. Take the Dhelan for example. The closest that the feds have is the MVAE. The Mogai? The feds don't have a counterpart to that. The D'deridex? The only thing the feds have that comes close is the Atrox, and that's an entirely different ship.

And the Scimitar. Do the feds have ANYTHING that comes even close to it's raw destructive power? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
What you said was about this ... the only thing that matters in the game is DPS and since Warbirds are kinda borked but favor Decloaking Alpha and problems with stealth detection (serious, you only get problems with stealth with singularity changes that would be none at opening decloaking Alpha, I can understand why they did it but on the other hand I dont understand why they did it because its just something that works on paper but not in the reality the game is played) they simply are better at it but beyond that? No, they arent ... -40 power is a heavy price that since everyone on a Warbird just Decloak Alpha dont have to worry about anyway, just load on buffs and let it rip, recloak ... but what happens after that when their precious cloak is negated?
Wow. Sometimes I wonder. I really do.

I see Romulan ships in ESTFs all the time. How much of that do they spend cloaked? A very VERY small fraction of the time. Oh wait no, all we Romulans do is decloaking alphas. Let's just completely ignore the probe guard Romulans, or the the Romulans that destroy transformers, cubes, etc in KASE, ISE, and CSE. Let's just ignore all the Romulans that duke it out with Voth Citadel Dreadnoughts and tank TONS of damage and dish it all back just as hard. Let's ignore the Romulans in NWS using GWs to snare their targets, Romulans who fight boss class NPCs with drainboats and disables. Let's just ignore all the Romulan ships that do EVERYTHING that Fed and KDF ships can do. And in many cases, they can do it just as good, if not better, and they don't do it cloaked.

-40 total power is a non-issue. You WILL get at least 12 points back in each SS courtesy of skills. Elite Singularity Cores provide MORE base power than Elite Anti-matter Warp Cores when your singularity charge is high (which it will get in sustained combat, which MANY Romulan Warbirds engage in). Romulans can also use Plasmonic Leech and Energy Siphon which will completely negate the sing cores power loss.

And as a final point, look at the consoles that Romulan Warbirds gain access to. A perfect example is the Valdore console. It's insanely powerful. They gain the ability to use incredibly powerful and useful universal consoles that none of the other factions can even dream about, much less use. And they also gain access to 80% of the KDF consoles AND ~50% of the fed consoles.

So sorry. I still stand by it. There is NO reason outside of very explicit exceptions that a Romulan should not be in a Warbird.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.