Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
A bug? It sure does on my Federation characters...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-03-2010, 02:04 PM
We don't have that content yet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
We don't have that content yet.
Uhm, WHAT? That's f-ed up! And we can't customize our ships either. Man, what a rush-job this game feels like...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Well, star trek online was being developed by a different developer a year and a half ago. That developer was fired, and cryptic took the title and basically reused their work on champs online to make a quick and dirty startrek game.

The rumor is that publisher pressure made the release date what it is.

This is probably the least complete MMO I've seen that was touted as a serious title. I wonder seriously what the production value here is. How many man hours of content it has. That really is the bottom dollar.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Some of that content was working, but a few armor pieces made the klingons naked, so they disabled them until they got models and textures for everything.

The sky is not falling.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-03-2010, 02:26 PM
I didn't say the sky was falling, I was just remarking on the facts of the matter.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Well, star trek online was being developed by a different developer a year and a half ago. That developer was fired, and cryptic took the title and basically reused their work on champs online to make a quick and dirty startrek game.

The rumor is that publisher pressure made the release date what it is.

This is probably the least complete MMO I've seen that was touted as a serious title. I wonder seriously what the production value here is. How many man hours of content it has. That really is the bottom dollar.
Wrong, here's kind of what is going on based on what I've read.

Perpetual had like a 4-5 year license to make a Star Trek MMO, 2-3 years into it they went bankrupt and basically had nothing but some crappy concept art. It was vaporware. CBS was trying to get someone to take over the license, but wouldn't expand it past the original date of 4-5 years. Cryptic bought the license and agreed to make the STO game in the time left, so even if they wanted to delay, the first call would be CBS, then Atari, then Cryptic Execs in that order for who'd get to say yes/no. Cryptic has at least 2 layers of bean counters on top of their bean counters. So figure that one out. I'm pretty sure no one at Cryptic wanted to release an unfinished Klingon side, they just didn't really have a choice.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster
Wrong, here's kind of what is going on based on what I've read.

Perpetual had like a 4-5 year license to make a Star Trek MMO, 2-3 years into it they went bankrupt and basically had nothing but some crappy concept art. It was vaporware. CBS was trying to get someone to take over the license, but wouldn't expand it past the original date of 4-5 years. Cryptic bought the license and agreed to make the STO game in the time left, so even if they wanted to delay, the first call would be CBS, then Atari, then Cryptic Execs in that order for who'd get to say yes/no. Cryptic has at least 2 layers of bean counters on top of their bean counters. So figure that one out. I'm pretty sure no one at Cryptic wanted to release an unfinished Klingon side, they just didn't really have a choice.
Now how is that not what I just said?

1) Previous developer fired
2) Publisher pressured release date
3) Game released unfinished due to circumstances

I bought a lifetime subscription btw, knowing all of this.

IMO a star trek license is basically a license to print money. I expect this thing to be a huge success, even though I'll be annoyed to hell at the nerfs that will make it playable for casuals.

I also expect it to be a lot of fun, and I expect to play a bunch of different captains and careers.

Am I being clear yet? I think people are so used to the tragic emo hateful whining they see it where it's not.

I was also one of the players that when asked, said "yes, put kdf in even if it's just the avatars, the station and their ships. We'll pvp until the first content release". I accept it as is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Now how is that not what I just said?

I bought a lifetime subscription btw, knowing all of this.

IMO a star trek license is basically a license to print money. I expect this thing to be a huge success, even though I'll be annoyed to hell at the nerfs that will make it playable for casuals.

I also expect it to be a lot of fun, and I expect to play a bunch of different captains and careers.

Am I being clear yet? I think people are so used to the tragic emo hateful whining they see it where it's not.

I was also one of the players that when asked, said "yes, put kdf in even if it's just the avatars, the station and their ships. We'll pvp until the first content release". I accept it as is.
Woah man I wasn't trying to rag on you or make you look bad, I was just trying to expand on/correct your story. CBS wanted the game done in 2 years, Cryptic said they could. That's all I was saying man.

I agree with everything else you said I don't know why we're arguing :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster
Woah man I wasn't trying to rag on you or make you look bad, I was just trying to expand on/correct your story. CBS wanted the game done in 2 years, Cryptic said they could. That's all I was saying man.

I agree with everything else you said I don't know why we're arguing :p
Insert trolling flame here.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.