Lt. Commander
"Do you remember when we used to be explorers?" -Picard

"Saddle up, lock and load!" -Data

I admit, I'm having fun so far. But the above issue kinda bothers me. I'd like to have exploration style missions that also managed to be engaging without having to fire weapons once. The only way I can currently think of doing it is to introduce a set of non-combat abilities that you level alongside your combat abilities for you to use.

I think what we need is a set of exploration skills with abilities and trees to go with that. Otherwise no matter what, exploration non-combat missions will just consist of scan, scan, scan, completed mission.

I would be interested in what thoughts others here have about exploration missions and what can be done to capture the spirit of "seeing what's out there."
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosMk1
"Do you remember when we used to be explorers?" -Picard

"Saddle up, lock and load!" -Data

I admit, I'm having fun so far. But the above issue kinda bothers me. I'd like to have exploration style missions that also managed to be engaging without having to fire weapons once. The only way I can currently think of doing it is to introduce a set of non-combat abilities that you level alongside your combat abilities for you to use.

I think what we need is a set of exploration skills with abilities and trees to go with that. Otherwise no matter what, exploration non-combat missions will just consist of scan, scan, scan, completed mission.

I would be interested in what thoughts others here have about exploration missions and what can be done to capture the spirit of "seeing what's out there."
Make the missions somewhat in the form of a murder mystery novel(but not that long)... or something exciting randomly happens while exploring.

There are plenty of things that could be done. Also diplomacy missions could be implemented... scripted of course but implemented.. and certain missions could have the chance of failure... ie you didn't convince the people in the biodome to allow you to beam down and they get pwned by the incoming asteroid or some such.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 06:15 AM
there are both explore missions that are non combat and diplomacy missions which are non combat.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
there are both explore missions that are non combat and diplomacy missions which are non combat.
scan, scan, scan, mission done is not exploration. Nor are impertinent multiple choice quizzes where I can't make an effect. (Yes dammit, the workers SHOULD be replaced by holograms!)
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Quote:
and they are boring, not even speaking of the "aid the planet" missions you just skip.

there should be something rewarding around that, fame points, influence points... whatever.. a kind of currency you only get from non combat missions. next to that there should be decisions... dialogues where you actually have to think and decide.. with an actual impact on your character progression not meaning +xy exp
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosoul View Post
and they are boring, not even speaking of the "aid the planet" missions you just skip.

there should be something rewarding around that, fame points, influence points... whatever.. a kind of currency you only get from non combat missions. next to that there should be decisions... dialogues where you actually have to think and decide.. with an actual impact on your character progression not meaning +xy exp
you get special badges from exploration missions. these can be turned in for blue gear.

as for dialogue choices you'll have to wait for SWTOR to see these in an mmo.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Quote:
you get special badges from exploration missions. these can be turned in for blue gear.

as for dialogue choices you'll have to wait for SWTOR to see these in an mmo.
i know that, fully decked out with the MK X already though. but why should i wait for another mmo if they can easily put it in here as well, i mean... its star trek we are talking about ... STAR TREK... and i should wait for star WARS to get some dialogue influence on my gameplay ? lol
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 06:30 AM
One small improvement I think can be immediately made is to enlarge the mission areas when beaming down to planets for the scanx5 mission over scenarios and fill them with a random number of MOBs. Some MOBs can merely be eye-candy while others hostile. In that environment, place a few random goodies that can be discovered to improve ship/personnel performance so that you have a bit of a "carrot" to go out looking for. Also, grant exp for fighting off the hostile MOBs (traditional MMO-type stuff).

To improve the atmosphere of these away missions they could also just populate these areas with NPCs wandering about doing their day-to-day activities. I don't mind going down to a planet to rescue colonists from some maurading Klingons but WHERE ARE THE COLONISTS? I just see packs of a half-dozen Klingon gang-bangers wandering around in a tight circle. Can they at least be harrassing someone? Can colonists be found cowering in corners or something?

I think those two improvements would be very minor as far as immediate implementation. And then, I wholeheartely agree that more complex, rewarding exploration and diplomacy missions need to be added to the mix of pew-pew. I love the pew-pew, dont' get me wrong. But this IS Star Trek and I'd like a chance to use my brain and not just my spacebar or numberkeys. I'd like missions where I have a CHOICE on how to respond. I'd like my CHOICE to affect an outcome.

OH....and while we're at it: GET RID OF THE GRID!! Please, take away the grid in Sector Space. And the dumb poles holding up systems and the hollow orbital rings. Are these things really necessary? They're such a buzz-kill.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosoul View Post
i know that, fully decked out with the MK X already though. but why should i wait for another mmo if they can easily put it in here as well, i mean... its star trek we are talking about ... STAR TREK... and i should wait for star WARS to get some dialogue influence on my gameplay ? lol
sounds like you rushed to admiral,,,,

and deep dialogue wasn't and advertised feature of this game. to my knowledge it doesn't exist in any mmo on the market.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 06:37 AM
The answer is simple:

Skip.

SKIP EVERYWHERE.

It opens your heart, makes you feel good, and brings joy to all those around you. Exploration festivities tend to soar, and every just basically has a great time.

Unless they get shot in the face for skipping by a Klingon.

Because they HATE that.