Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathurus View Post
Color to know what type of weapon is being used is helpful, since some shields protect better against some weapons.

Maybe they could add some textures to different beams, like spirals or fuzzyness that adds to distinction of type, then that would open up color for player purchased, or earned customizations.
It should be noted that beam weapons are already textured by weapon type.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
As has been stated elsewhere, the Connie phasers are unique and can't be replicated with a /powerhue color...it loses it's effect.
that is why I am saying take the slash command out and give a vendor, this way it is a form of weapon upgrade and not just a simple hue swap. it should even put a new name or description on the weapon

(basic weapon before color upgrade)
Basic weapon MK??

Statline- DPS

(Basic weapon after color upgrade)
Pink Basic weapon MK??

Bound
Statline- DPS
Weapon has been upgraded with pink emitters
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Another option is different views for different clients, although that could be bad.

A person could buy a colored phasor color only to find that every client viewing his shots, has an option, use original colors for weapons.

Different clients doing different things for different users is not a new idea, and can add to player customization, although it can also be abused if not in the open.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
It is as I said in another thread about this. They should not take the functionality out, but rather, add an option to toggle "see other players' custom weapon/explosion colors" on or off. That way, those who don't want to see weapons colors that are outside of canon don't have to, but those who want that extra bit of personalization for their character/ship can have it, even though they may be the only one who sees it.

Problem solved. Everyone goes home happy.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Look, here is what it breaks down to.

Some of the community are able to derive more enjoyment from the customization of weapon colors than the non adherence to canon detracts; a net positive result.

However, for some of the community, the detraction from canon takes away more enjoyment than the inclusion of customization adds back; a net negative result.

This trade of between giving additional enjoyment to some and removing it from others is at the heart of all "wishlists" on the "it's a game and should be fun" category.
It would be the same for Federation cloaks, federation carriers, Joined Trill for the Klingon faction, and any number of similar aspects which might be fun, but would detract from what is reasonable in the Star Trek Universe.

When you add up the positive from those who want it and the negative from those who don't... there's either balance or not. When there is balance you err on the side of canon, when it's not you look for solutions to add that enjoyment without blatantly ignoring canon.

Ensigns don't command ships. But cryptic felt the community as a whole was at a net negative in terms of working your way up to commanding a ship... so in favor of making the game "fun" they invented a story to get around canon without blatantly ignoring it: ie all senior officers dead, you step up to the plate and impress an Admiral so you get a field promotion.

Those who don't like the idea of picking the color of your weapon REALLY don't like it... and those who do like the idea would certainly not walk away from the game if it went away. Being humble, I'd say that the net positive is equivalent to the net negative; the community is at the very least split on this.

Canon is the tie breaker. I'm sorry, but in the 25th Century, phasers are orange and disruptors are green and when I see someone firing at me and I see green I want to know what type of weapon is being used.

Cryptic goal was not JUST to make a good space game, it was to make a good Star Trek game. If the "Star Trek" part wasn't important they could have ignored the IP and had all kinds of unique customization options as a result; that's not an invalid approach. They however, chose to make a Star Trek game, which means that Ferengi have big ears, the Klingons like to stab you with bat'leths and phasers are orange.

They gave up the option to have infinite customization options as a means of enjoyment, but they gained the option to immerse the player in the atmosphere of Trek instead. Might as well have Federation flying in Birds of Prey... cause it's fun... if that's how you all feel.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
1) There is already a thread about this, and its even on the 1st page right now. Creating another is just spamming.

2) It has already been stated that this bug will be squashed, and that powerhue is going away. Please move on to the acceptance stage.

3) No amount of whining is likely to change this. I suspect that it has been mandated by the owners of the intellectual property.

4) No, you really don't need purple phasers.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Here's the problem with changing colors. If it were up to Cryptic, I'm sure they'd allow it, they are famous for their customization options. But I'm willing to bet it's not up to them, that weapon colors are mandated by CBS as a part of the Star Trek IP. Phasers are Red / Orange, Disruptors are Green, yadda yadda yadda, and since that is how they are portrayed in the series (excluding TOS) then that is how CBS wants them portrayed in the game, no customization allowed.

Again, I don't know this for a fact, or have any evidence at all to support this, but it makes sense. It's only a theory, which happens to fit the facts.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Isn't a nerf if it doesn't affect gameplay. Cosmetic is cosmetic.
Lt. Commander
# 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Leaving Powerhue in makes special items, such as the Connie phasers, pointless. Part of the fun of getting to use the Connie is the blue phasers. I'd imagine there's going to be other hued weapons (not inclusing the normal Disruptors, Plasma, etc) in the game eventually that Powerhue would also mess up. I'm content to shoot my normal-colored weapons.
getting part starter equipment makes the Connie phasers pointless.
Lt. Commander
# 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexiom
1) There is already a thread about this, and its even on the 1st page right now. Creating another is just spamming.

2) It has already been stated that this bug will be squashed, and that powerhue is going away. Please move on to the acceptance stage.

3) No amount of whining is likely to change this. I suspect that it has been mandated by the owners of the intellectual property.

4) No, you really don't need purple phasers.

Agreed. Lets leave something intact and appropriate to the IP... the folks that wanted to play Star Trek Super Heroes already won their color war for unforms (thankfully controlled to a degree), please leave the weapon colors to canon standards.