Lt. Commander
# 41
02-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipion
I agree, I had the same thought about teaming and setting beam weapons so all members could assist on the same enemy. This should be feature that you could change easily at a starbase or something. For all the purist out there, I should think it would be possible in the 25th century to change the color of beams rather easily.
could also add a roleplaying element, for those so inclined.

My engineer was able to create a tighter focus on our phaser array by running it through a modified lens. An interesting side effect, there is a noteable hue change to the beam.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-05-2010, 06:07 AM
This is from the OP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel_Martog
(re-posted for the masses from http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=101091 )

Then add a vendor on Memory Alpha and on Qo'noS. This vendor for a slight fee and some resources would color a single weapon a single color based on the Hue scale. Since the powers are tied to the Weapons and the BO’s this could be done rather easy and it would keep the customization ability and keep it with in lore.
I'm sorry but, how does this keep it within lore?

And yes, the original Enterprise had multi-coloured phasers. However, every single series after that (and lets be fair, there is a hell of a lot more Trek after TOS) Phaseers were Orange.

Also, you solution doesn't work for the people, like me, who simply don't want to see Pink/Purple/Whatever colour Phasers. You will still have the ability to fly around shooting your pink pew pewers, only different would be that you had to pay (using fictional money!) to have them.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joda1984
This is from the OP....

I'm sorry but, how does this keep it within lore?

And yes, the original Enterprise had multi-coloured phasers. However, every single series after that (and lets be fair, there is a hell of a lot more Trek after TOS) Phaseers were Orange.

Also, you solution doesn't work for the people, like me, who simply don't want to see Pink/Purple/Whatever colour Phasers. You will still have the ability to fly around shooting your pink pew pewers, only different would be that you had to pay (using fictional money!) to have them.

there is more then One Orange hue, More then One Green Hue, in fact there are many, there is room in lore to allow hue changes based on technological upgrades.

I quote myself
Quote:
example:

Federation Phasers in canon have been Red, Blue, Purple, yellow, and Orange
with the Vendor they could set the Hue options to several distinct versions of these colors your Phasers would be individual and still the right color.
ie. 5 different yellows, 5 different reds, ect.

same with Disruptors
ie. 10 different greens
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel_Martog
there is more then One Orange hue, More then One Green Hue, in fact there are many, there is room in lore to allow hue changes based on technological upgrades.

I quote myself
To be fair... I didn't read you're later posts in this thread and only skim-read the OP.

I assumed, wrongly, that you were a troll; ranting about the powerhue command being removed.

You do make some good points and I think the 10-or-so variant Orange colours for Phasers system certainly has merit.

However, as another poster in this thread as already said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Sinner
No, I read your entire post. That is my well thought out response.

I have already stated for the record that I don't care if people wish to change their own colors as long as when I see them, it is the default colors. I care less what happens on your screen, but I care much more about what I'm subjected to on mine.
The problem is, people are selfish. I, for one, included.

I simply don't care how useful it was for other people when PVP'ing or in Fleets. I don't care if some people were using it as a plus or a con during space fights.

What I do care about, is Star Trek. I am playing this MMO because it is a Star Trek MMO (I lasted no longer than a week in WOW as I couldn't care less about my characters nor the Fantasy-world it was set in). And to me, IMO, customisable colours for weapons is a deal-breaker. In all the shows (post TOS) and in all the alternate futures etc etc. Phasers were Orange.Removing this from the game, to me, would make the game more like a geric Sci-Fi space based MMO and less like a Star Trek MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joda1984
The problem is, people are selfish. I, for one, included.

I simply don't care how useful it was for other people when PVP'ing or in Fleets. I don't care if some people were using it as a plus or a con during space fights.

What I do care about, is Star Trek. I am playing this MMO because it is a Star Trek MMO (I lasted no longer than a week in WOW as I couldn't care less about my characters nor the Fantasy-world it was set in). And to me, IMO, customisable colours for weapons is a deal-breaker. In all the shows (post TOS) and in all the alternate futures etc etc. Phasers were Orange.Removing this from the game, to me, would make the game more like a geric Sci-Fi space based MMO and less like a Star Trek MMO.
And my issue with that is best summed up with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JswhkwvtMV4

in the history of Trek the producers and writers have often made it up as they go with no basies in anything, the colors they used where intended to be distinct and give perspective as to who was firing what.

enter STO, and I can't figure out who I am Shooting at because I am using the Same beams as the 20 others playing in the same zone battling each other.

And since I base my weapons choice from the stat line this will always be the case unless I can make a change to it, how much of a change, Green can have over 40 possible hues based on the 360 hue chart
Lt. Commander
# 46 Skittels
02-05-2010, 06:36 AM
With the latest patch i feel some of the individuality of the game has been taken away. Yes i do feel that there needs to be some originality to the game, yes i know some people will cry either way you place it, but at the end of the day (as an art major) i feel just as someone can change the color of their house lights or simply have christmas lights up all year round it is their choice and it should be ours to have a color hue change if we want it.

And to all you (well there will be weapons out there with different colors) i dont feel i should have to pay honkin wads of energy to some ***** who wants to charge 20 times the real value of the items just cause its deep purple.

This change has made me irritated because that cheer has been taken away from the game for me to be an indi vidual and forced me to conform to a sad minority. Yes there will be people on either sides that say they just wanna play the game, have fun, and not care. I would simply like to have the option to be me. Now thats not saying there is gonna be that one person flying around in the USS Skittles shouting taste the rainbow as he pelts your ship with a plethera of colors from different beams and colors. But hey, if we all where the same wouldnt that make things boring?

To any art devs out there who have their individuality left intact i ask you this! If your pallet was was a canvas of nothing more than Yellow, Red, Blue, and black and you where never allowed to mix your paint and forced to stay in the lines all the time ... would art be as rich and wonderus as it is today?

I was /powerhue 0 240 ... what color would you be?
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-05-2010, 07:11 AM
OP, this is a great idea. Initially I was opposed to the feature being left in game because every post I had read "for" keeping it in was nothing but a flaming insult brought to the forums straight from a PvP whine fest.

I wish I could find the post that changed my view to one that I am of an opinion that this IS canonical and SHOULD be part of the STO universe. Essentially it spoke of how lasers work in reality and that if a color exists in the spectrum, a laser can pretty much be adjusted to it. Star Trek has always been about exploration, science and the human condition.

This discussion is canonical because it explores new ideas and offers a different point of view.

By the way, I like your idea of making it so you have to accomplish something in game to enable this feature on your character. It has the element of adding content (one of the biggest complaints) and could be presented in such a way to involve research missions as you mentioned. I'll even go so far as to suggest that this could be added as of the new raid-i-sodes so it isn't easy. Imagine if you will, a very canonical research and exploration mission where you would have to gather information and resources and possibly fight those dastardly Romulans or even the dreaded Borg to get this critical new technology! In the end, I think that there would be little to no grounds for any complaints if the people who got this had to work their butts off for it.

Let us not forget that real life science backs up the notion of varying the hues of your pew pews.

Humanity could benefit in the end if we could put this dispute behind us.