Lt. Commander
# 21
02-03-2010, 04:49 PM
You will not get a Dev saying that everyone must set the FPS in the command chat,they may offer you tips if YOUR system is having a problem but as much as I feel sorry for you guys this is NOT a game problem.

If it was a game issue then everyone would have it.

I do not have a 5k rig or anything near to it.

My specs are a dual core 2.66,4gb RAM,Vista 32 and GTX275 card.

Now I have read a lot better system's than mine having this problem and having read alot of them I have to say you best look at your system and maybe the cooling or indeed the power.

Like I said if this was a game problem not only would everyone have it but you can be damn sure Cryptic would have it sorted.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelKatz View Post
The game will, by default, put out the maximum frame rate our rig is capable of, unless you enable VSync. If your hardware can't run at full tilt 24/7, you should limit your frame rate.

Personally, I hope the devs tweak this a bit. Running the system at full tilt all the time means that your video card and even CPU in some cases will thermally throttle, leaving no reserve for load bursts. It causes people to have to set their graphics settings lower than they would otherwise, just to have enough reserve for the rare cases where it's needed.
Tey probrably won't, and STO is not the only game to suffer this issue.

EvE Online also has a history of doing the same thing - simply turn vsync ON (by setting "interval one" in EvE's options) and the problem is fixed.

In STO, go into Video Options and turn on VSync - end of problem.Since Directx8, the built-in frame limiter has been disabled - and people run into this issue. You can turn it on in DXDiag and save the hassle in anything that uses DirectX - doing so is a little hard to find.

You can also do it in most vide card drivers as well - you're limited to your monitor's refresh rate, which is a small price to pay compared to a new video card, IMHO
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-03-2010, 04:54 PM
When I play on my laptop I had to turn everything down otherwise after about 45 minutes of gameplay the laptop would just turn off and be blazing hot.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestalker1
When I play on my laptop I had to turn everything down otherwise after about 45 minutes of gameplay the laptop would just turn off and be blazing hot.
When posting this it is always best to post your specs,laptops are for the most part not for gaming so unless you have a top of the range laptop it would not surprise me,although like I said post your specs.