Lt. Commander
# 1 any reason to not be tactical?
02-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I played a little with the Klingon side during beta and like the challenge over the Fed side. I have unlocked Klingons now live and am looking to get started on my career in the KDF.

in beta, II only had time to play with the beginning BoP and went tactical to see how it was damage-wise. on the Fed side, I have played Engineer and Science and those seem to do great with the ships they have. however, it appears that Klingon ships and more importantly, the focus on doing damage to score points in pvp to level, really seems to push one to a tactical career.

I play at odd times and usually in limited amounts of time, so will be doing a lot of soloing. while I can see a pre-set group of friends dividing up into the 3 classes to help support each other, how feasible is it to go engineering or science instead of tactical

thoughts, suggestions, sharing of your experiences with the different class types would be greatly appreciated
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo33
I played a little with the Klingon side during beta and like the challenge over the Fed side. I have unlocked Klingons now live and am looking to get started on my career in the KDF.

in beta, II only had time to play with the beginning BoP and went tactical to see how it was damage-wise. on the Fed side, I have played Engineer and Science and those seem to do great with the ships they have. however, it appears that Klingon ships and more importantly, the focus on doing damage to score points in pvp to level, really seems to push one to a tactical career.

I play at odd times and usually in limited amounts of time, so will be doing a lot of soloing. while I can see a pre-set group of friends dividing up into the 3 classes to help support each other, how feasible is it to go engineering or science instead of tactical

thoughts, suggestions, sharing of your experiences with the different class types would be greatly appreciated
Very feasible. Just make it known at the start of the match that you are someones pocket healer/pocket engi.

Even if you go tac you can be support. One of the best groups I had was 2 engi 1 science 2 tactical. I was DPS tactical using debuffs and such and stealth. The used overwatch. That buff if definitely nice to have, if you have a tac officer willing to sacrifice some DPS for the benefit of the team.

That was a pug. We ended up keeping that group for 4 hours and didn't lose once. The biggest success to our winning was the science/engineers supporting the tacticals. We were free to dps and knew we'd be kept safe. If anyone came close to them, we took them out immediately.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 02:21 PM
The biggest downside to being a support class right now is that the game seems to reward based mostly (entirely?) off of damage dealt.

In looking at it with a science officer guildmate who does a lot of healing, we think healing counts towards your rewards (XP, medals) but definitely not 1 to 1 with damage. And utility abilities like tractor beams, holds, deployable shields, etc, don't give you any points.

In fact, one ground match he was with me the whole time, throwing heals, holds, exposes, etc, and ended up with much less reward than me and even less kills. It seemed like he could throw a hold on someone, trigger an expose, I'd vaporize the guy in one shot and I'd get all of the credit -- he wouldn't even get kill credit since he didn't do any actual damage.

That problem is in my signature roundup of Klingon issues. Be ready to dish out all the DPS you can, even as a support class, or you'll end up shafted on XP and medals.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
The biggest downside to being a support class right now is that the game seems to reward based mostly (entirely?) off of damage dealt.

In looking at it with a science officer guildmate who does a lot of healing, we think healing counts towards your rewards (XP, medals) but definitely not 1 to 1 with damage. And utility abilities like tractor beams, holds, deployable shields, etc, don't give you any points.

In fact, one ground match he was with me the whole time, throwing heals, holds, exposes, etc, and ended up with much less reward than me and even less kills. It seemed like he could throw a hold on someone, trigger an expose, I'd vaporize the guy in one shot and I'd get all of the credit -- he wouldn't even get kill credit since he didn't do any actual damage.

That problem is in my signature roundup of Klingon issues. Be ready to dish out all the DPS you can, even as a support class, or you'll end up shafted on XP and medals.
this was exactly what I was seeing for the short time I was able to play in beta. so while support roles are great, especially if you have some consistency in your team mates, it just really seems to be so skewed to rewarding the damage dealers. and the best way to deal damage is to be tactical, at least at the lower levels.

if someone was able to get up into the higher levels and can provide some information on the higher level abilities and ships and whether that can compensate as engineering or science, I would love to hear about it.

I generally like to play a slightly more rounded role than single focus. on the fed side, playing an engineer in a cruiser worked well. plenty of damage but better survival, especially in ground combat with all the engineer's tricks. but then, the fed side isn't so based on having to do damage. yes, some of the fleet actions are, but it was plenty easy to advance doing episode missions solo.

guess I could try an engineer or science and see how it goes and see if the folks at Cryptic give us more hope for pve advancement.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I play an engineer but thats only because I like turrets honestly I think most PvPer will end up tatical. Not to start with when the skills dont matter as much as the weapons but when they start to matter more and people learn that turrets are rather naff in PvP and medics heals are too weak and time consuming to use in combat and can be replaced by a tribble (fed only) or food outside of combat the hard core Pvpers will all be tatical.

Then after the nerf bat of doom comes out and beats them to the ground people will more over to the new profession till the shouts of nerf cause that profession to be beaten down.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm an Engineer and i find it quite good in space,
i have 1 tactical officer with torp high yield, 2 engineer BO's with emergency power to shields each and 1 with reverse shield polarity aswell as myself having rotate shield frequency, which in a BOP gives quite a bit of survivability,with 110 weapons 50 shields and 32 aux and engines so i get high dps and i can be the first to decloak and still being able to survive while doing considerable damage.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I was thinking about this as I looked at the standard attack and the sniper shot of my rifle. The tatical officer skill actually increases base damage of these weapons and this got me thinking.
1) Are tatical officers the only ones who get a passive bonus from skills they have spent in ground PvP?
2) Why dont engineers abilities increase the ability of their personal shield generators many of the skills the the write of them suggest they do but it does not appear to be the case?
3) Why am I not playing a Tatical officer?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael102 View Post
I was thinking about this as I looked at the standard attack and the sniper shot of my rifle. The tatical officer skill actually increases base damage of these weapons and this got me thinking.
1) Are tatical officers the only ones who get a passive bonus from skills they have spent in ground PvP?
2) Why dont engineers abilities increase the ability of their personal shield generators many of the skills the the write of them suggest they do but it does not appear to be the case?
3) Why am I not playing a Tatical officer?
They do, the problem is that tier 1 skills only add 18% to a skill. So you will notice 18% more damage being done over 18% more shield healing. Also Tactical gets target optics,focus fire, suppressing fire, which all add up to doing more dps. The synergy in their skills+kits is simply better.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorac
They do, the problem is that tier 1 skills only add 18% to a skill. So you will notice 18% more damage being done over 18% more shield healing. Also Tactical gets target optics,focus fire, suppressing fire, which all add up to doing more dps. The synergy in their skills+kits is simply better.
Well at least we do it just doesn't seem obvious when I read my skills but when I click on phaser bolt it tells me that some skills add to damage. When I look at my shield engery its actually 1 point lower than the max shield capacity on the item.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2010, 01:26 AM
One reason. Being an engineer when the need to tank and spank is there..you can stay on station and not have to flee and continue to poor in fire on people without dying or doing that badly on the damage charts.

I rolled Tac in CB in OB I did sci and now in release I am running Engineering and the survivability options are so much greater I end up at the tops for damage due to not dying as often.. having been able to stick it in and keep the nose to the dps stone longer...