Lt. Commander
Lord help me but I'm halfway considering one of these:

Anyone done this or close to it? How is it, for space combat?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I cant imagine how functional this would be given theres no 90 degree angles. Could be fun to throttle, but the joystick would be more useless I would imagine.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptQuilo
I cant imagine how functional this would be given theres no 90 degree angles. Could be fun to throttle, but the joystick would be more useless I would imagine.
Did they ever say if they were going to open up space like that, by the way? Even if it was just 'empty', it would be fun.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 04:02 PM
What is annoying is when enemies are right above you or below and your ship would fly that steep, kind of hard to approach them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorby
What is annoying is when enemies are right above you or below and your ship would fly that steep, kind of hard to approach them.
Just fly out and bank around them?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I wish we'd have more of what SWG had in our space combat-movement. There, it was really easy and fun to map out your joystick/throttle and get into the action. The twisty X-52 pro was great, with yaw on the rudder, and roll mapped to the X-axis movement.

I doubt we'll see anything like that in STO; I don't think the engine supports it...

You won't regret the X-52 pro tho if you get it. Use it in flight sims like Aces High II (FlyAcesHigh.Com)...great fun!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warspawn View Post
You won't regret the X-52 pro tho if you get it. Use it in flight sims like Aces High II (FlyAcesHigh.Com)...great fun!
Not just those; I'm wondering how that plus the throttle could work out for my other game addictions, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Joysticks and controllers are not recognized.

I've tried both my corded 360 controller (which worked fine in CO btw) and my logitech joystick and the game didn't recognize either. Could not even bind keys. Not sure if it is a problem with the game or my computer but I couldn't get either to work so don't waste your money until you get someone to confirm the game supports them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
I have a Logitech G940 and it was easy to program it to output the appropriate key presses when I move the joystick. The only problem is that the camera doesn't track very well. Otherwise it works pretty well.
Lt. Commander
they are awesome but i dont have room on my computer table to use them with my mouse, keyboard and one hand game keypad. i fight great enough with that game keypad. The joystick/throttle set i have use on Battlefield series games and Star Wars Battleground to fly the jets, starfighters and helicopters better than i would have ever with keyboard. But since there is no 3d space in STO don't really need joystick. They didnt work well with ground vehicles. oh not sure if you can configure all the keys into a joystick /throttle but maybe someone has with one. Get a game keypad like the Belkin Nostromo N52 that would work with every RPG and FPS in existance. I think i need to break out my joystick / throttle for Battlefield Heroes latter on to improve my flying skills.