Lt. Commander
I am an LC-3 and I just did the Explore the Arucanis Arm mission. All I got was 26 skill points at the end. Isn't it supposed to be more than that? I asked my fleet and they said it's because Cryptic reduced the XP you get from quests that are below your level, so people couldn't sit there and power-level on repeatables that were far below them.

While I understand that needed to be fixed, you should still get the full XP the *first* time you do a quest. Otherwise, what is the point to going through all the quests that I didn't do? Does this mean that, now that I am an LC-3, if I do Defend the Sirius Sector Block I'm going to not get the regular XP for it, but instead, like 20 or something? Because I never have even done it one time.

If I'm understanding this correctly then it would seem that this reduction of XP from lower-level quests actually encourages players to just go to wherever the highest level area they can get to is, and power-level there, then move on. It doesn't seem to limit power-levelers, it just seems to punish you for doing quests that are below your level, meaning that you could've got a lot more experience out of the same exact play-time had you done the quests in the proper order or whatever.

But I'm probably not understanding this correctly... am I?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Actually, doing these gives you a lot more than the "final" 26 SP that you receive. While you're doing each "mission", at the end of completion, look at how many SP points you actually get during the duration.

That's why people are doing these to "power-level".

Cheers,
Kermee
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermee View Post
Actually, doing these gives you a lot more than the "final" 26 SP that you receive. While you're doing each "mission", at the end of completion, look at how many SP points you actually get during the duration.

That's why people are doing these to "power-level".

Cheers,
Kermee
Ah, OK... sorry, I guess I was not counting all that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Edit: Ah reread, yea it's odd that they'd lower it, but then again there really isn't much need to explore there unless you're bored, and in the area =P
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared88
Edit: Ah reread, yea it's odd that they'd lower it, but then again there really isn't much need to explore there unless you're bored, and in the area =P
There are a few reasons why explore missions can be nice:

1. If you're interested in the silly grind that crafting is in this game, exploration missions are a pretty good way to get resources, as some of the random spawns are resources, some missions are just to scan 5 resource nodes, and the other missions usually have a healthy scattering of the nodes anyway.

2. Exploration badges.

3. Some XP

@OP

I agree that the first runthrough should give full xp, and subsequent runthroughs should be the ones with reduced xp.