Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
I know we've all seen the /powerhue'd weapons and powers across the galaxy in this game, and even /I/ can agree that it can make the game less immersive for some...

But does anyone think Cryptic should allow client-side hueshifts instead?

That way it doesn't interfere with the gameplay and immersion for others or give anyone any "what weapon are they using?" advantage, while still allowing us to have awesome coloured weapons on our own ships?

Maybe even further with the OPTION to see custom hue****s?

In my opinion, this is a very neat mechanic that shouldn't be taken out... it should instead be made an option, and by default everything looks normal for you, even if other players have custom colours..

--- edit for better explanation ---

With my proposal, when you start a new character all weapon/explosion/power colours on everyone's characters (including your own) would be the default, canon, colours.

If you /powerhue, it only changes, client-side, the colours on your ship. No one else can see this colour.

Maybe add a "/customcolors (0/1)" command that lets you see everyone's custom colours.

This way no one's game gets ruined by pink lasers, and people that want custom colours and/or the option to see others' custom colours would be able to. (Though I don't expect the public-custom-colours option, but it'd be a nice touch)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 06:44 PM
like the idea but probably wont happen, i would at least advocate it for fleets, as an identifying feature, but it wont happen, enjoy it while it lasts i'll miss my blue rays of doom......until i get tetryon (what ever its called)..heard they're blue
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 06:49 PM
I read somewhere, don't recall where, that part of the license is to keep these sorts of thing canon. So its not that we would be bothering other people with our fabulous pink lasers, but CBS doesn't want to allow us to see anything else.

Not really up to Cryptic if I do remember correctly.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 07:02 PM
I agree that we should have the option to use our newly "painted" phasers etc. I like my pink ones

And in regards to Canon, there is something called Artistic Freedom, and this has been changed a few times through series made after Gene died as well. As long as it can be explained within reason in story telling it can work. It's the same thing as the Red Matter in the new star trek movie. They have just come up with another type of matter, and it was not even very well explained.

So canon is very much in the eye of the beholder.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashnaheen View Post
part of the license
Wheres sulu(10char)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouT-Phaze View Post
I know we've all seen the /powerhue'd weapons and powers across the galaxy in this game, and even /I/ can agree that it can make the game less immersive for some...

But does anyone think Cryptic should allow client-side hueshifts instead?

That way it doesn't interfere with the gameplay and immersion for others or give anyone any "what weapon are they using?" advantage, while still allowing us to have awesome coloured weapons on our own ships?

Maybe even further with the OPTION to see custom hue****s?

In my opinion, this is a very neat mechanic that shouldn't be taken out... it should instead be made an option, and by default everything looks normal for you, even if other players have custom colours..

--- edit for better explanation ---

With my proposal, when you start a new character all weapon/explosion/power colours on everyone's characters (including your own) would be the default, canon, colours.

If you /powerhue, it only changes, client-side, the colours on your ship. No one else can see this colour.

Maybe add a "/customcolors (0/1)" command that lets you see everyone's custom colours.

This way no one's game gets ruined by pink lasers, and people that want custom colours and/or the option to see others' custom colours would be able to. (Though I don't expect the public-custom-colours option, but it'd be a nice touch)
The colors aren't outragous to begin with and most are used in some degree as weapon colors already.

So its not like you can give yourself black pew pew beams.

On top of that, how do you know there isn't a pink hued weapon in the game?... I know for a fact that there are orange, green, blue, and yellow...
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Not having used this feature, it sounds interesting and if there is word that it is being removed that seems disappointing.

In regards to canon, I always figured the reason the pew pew beams in the shows had been this color or that color was simply because of the color of the lens that the pew pew beam goes through. Sure I know that you have phasers and disrupter and other pew pew beams, but I always figured that the biggest difference between them was the same as the difference between an Windows computer, a Lynx computer, and a Mac computer.

Sure they all do pretty much the same thing, but most windows users can't tell you exactly how a Lynx or a Mac computer work differently than their computer. There are differences, but ultimately they do the same thing... the work you desire to have done. Be it play a game or make a movie.

And just the same with the pew pew rays in star trek. Sure there are people out there that can tell me that the Romulan disrupter does this and not that compared to the phasers that the Feds use. But ultimately they serve the same purpose. They take out enemy targets.

Nor does knowing the difference between the disrupter and the phasers actually explain WHY the color is the color that it is, other than as a visual guide to watchers of the TV shows and movies. I mean imagine if all pew pew rays got the color green, and one ship shot the other ships weapons. It wouldn't be clear who was shooting who. But if you say Romulan's use weapons that have color X and Feds use color Y, then when the Feds shoot the Romulan's weapons you can tell it is Y shooting X and not X shooting Y.

But from a real world view point, it doesn't make any sense at all. Why is some ammo for some weapons a golden color why other ammo is silver in color? Well that's because the material of the casing is different.

Why do tracer rounds light up one color and not some other color? Because they decided that that was the most useful color to use in the most situations. But the color is actually able to be changed to pretty much anything they want so if the a real world military needs red tracer rounds they can get red tracer rounds. If they need yellow tracer rounds they can get yellow tracer rounds.

So you can't convince me that a phaser (something that s basically a sci-fi laser) can't be any color that is required. You can convince me though that a phaser is manufactured one way, and that if you want it another color you are going to have to pay extra for the modification, but that's understandable.

Likewise if one wanted a setting to turn off the custom colors so they see everything in it's default color that also makes sense to me. I mean most of combat in space would be done on a computer screen anyways with the computer telling you various readings. It could show you those little pew pew beams in any color you wanted. It's called a user interface.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Fed Phasers, according to TNG, are colored according to the frequency used. You can see them change color when they do the neato rotate frequency thing vs borg.

Cardassian phasers are browish orange because it just looks Cardassian. The lights on their consoles are the same color, the ship hull is close to that color etc.

Disruptors are Green because in Star Trek green is evil. Klinks have green ships, Romulans use green ships and lighting, Borg tech uses green lighting, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashnaheen View Post
I read somewhere, don't recall where, that part of the license is to keep these sorts of thing canon. So its not that we would be bothering other people with our fabulous pink lasers, but CBS doesn't want to allow us to see anything else.

Not really up to Cryptic if I do remember correctly.
<sarcasm>Yeah, because lots of Federation ships in canon used disruptor and Romulan plasma torpedoes</sarcasm>

I hope they leave it at least client-side, though I'd love for it to just be left alone. The weapons I want my character to use don't exist in the game (and almost certainly never will, since they're basically just different colored phasers) so the powerhue thing is good for RP for me.

Hmm...perhaps they could add more crafting to Memory Alpha, different color weapons? That would be a nice compromise and improvement on the (somewhat lacking) crafting system.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
I agree with the OP