Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 167
# 61
02-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquest42 View Post
if ya gonna revamp it... please bring back the OLD ESD... she was big, she had a 24 century feel and the interiors were big and roomy..
Please, do not bring back the old ESD.

The ESD we have now is the classic design that has obviously served its purpose well over the years, well into the 24th century. If a design lasts that long, it's a good, solid design that lasts as long as it does for a reason.

Also, the Cryptic-designed ESD was, frankly, ugly as sin.

All I'd be looking for if there was a redesign is a redesign of the interiors so that they match the exterior (for example, the huge windows all the way around - they don't exist on the exterior of Spacedock.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 167
# 62
02-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartzilla View Post
Considering on the Mohs scale of scifi hardness as shown here Star Trek is closer to fantasy that hard scifi its always been like that.
Your're not real familiar with Star Trek, then, I take it?

Given that the technologies in Star Trek have, in general, either predicted technology in the future or come from contemporary scientific theory, I fail to understand how you can consider Star Trek to be close to fantasy.

Let's take a look at some of the predictive technology, shall we?

The Communicator. Obviously, the comparison here is today's cell phones. The technology of Star Trek in the '60s was predictive when it comes to this.

The Tricorder. What people may not realize is that the Tricorder is also a '60s technology prediction that has come generally if simplistically true - also with cell phones. Right now, my phone has a tricorder app on it. It's fairly simplistic, but it uses the sensors available to provide geolocation, physical orientation (as a compass), audio information (by decibel), and actively seeks a wireless connection in order to gather other data, including solar storms and other space weather information.

It may not be able to do all the things an actual tricorder could, but that won't take much longer to come to fruition - especially since there are already medical device companies who have either reached the prototype stage or are getting close to it, that will allow them to assess a patient's medical condition without invasive surgery.

The Hypospray exists - right now. In fact, three kinds of hypo exist today. One was developed only 4 years after the original series debuted. That one was called a "jet injector." Another device which uses ultrasonic waves to open pores on the skin, allowing the injection liquid to enter the bloodstream without the use of needles, was approved by the FDA. And MIT researchers have engineered a device that delivers a tiny, high-pressure jet of medicine through the skin without the use of a hypodermic needle.

And then, of course, there are the scientists, doctors, engineers, and so on, who became what they are due to the influence of Star Trek in their lives.

When Professor Stephen Hawking - the most brilliant mind today - did a guest spot on "Star Trek: The Next Generation," he asked for a tour of the various sets. When they reached the engine room and he saw the Warp Core, he said, "I'm working on that."

I could go on here, but I think I've made my point. Star Trek may take some license in order to further story, but the basis of its technology has always been science - not fantasy.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 274
# 63
02-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelakkh View Post
Your're not real familiar with Star Trek, then, I take it?

Given that the technologies in Star Trek have, in general, either predicted technology in the future or come from contemporary scientific theory, I fail to understand how you can consider Star Trek to be close to fantasy.

Let's take a look at some of the predictive technology, shall we?
What you're referring to is inspiration being taken from sci-fantasy. For every example you provide there (of the inevitable results of miniaturization, really, nothing specific to Star Trek) there's probably at least 5 to 10 instances of Star Trek babbling complete nonsense at best and outright wrong science at worst in order to justify or explain something.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,139
# 64
02-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Wow what an interesting whirlwind way to field yet another complaint about festival gimmicks.
I opened video options, turned debris to 0 hit apply and continued on with what I was doing, whenever someone shoots off a party popper the balloons and confetti disappear as soon as they leave the barrel of the gun. Disco balls don't bother me, I think they are a riot, although a Gorn dancing does look strangely disturbing. I just can not for the life of me see what the big problem is.
How can people possibly sit at a computer to play this game with sphincter muscles so tight?
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 167
# 65
02-17-2014, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarydecision View Post
What you're referring to is inspiration being taken from sci-fantasy. For every example you provide there (of the inevitable results of miniaturization, really, nothing specific to Star Trek) there's probably at least 5 to 10 instances of Star Trek babbling complete nonsense at best and outright wrong science at worst in order to justify or explain something.
Actually, I'm referring to science fiction predicting certain aspects of life and society (Jules Verne, anyone?) based on science, not fantasy. Obviously, the following comparison was going to come up.

Star Wars is fantasy. It relies on mysticism, magical abilities, impossible items and so on. There is no science which can explain a lightsabre and make it real, or even remotely plausible. But it looks great on screen and everyone wants to have one (heck, I have several myself). And there's no reason one can't like both of these franchises (I never understood the rivalry there), but comparing the two is like comparing dragons to fighter jets. One is space fantasy, one is science fiction.

Star Trek does not have weapons like the lightsabre because Star Trek is science fiction (Cryptic's attempt to capitalize on the launch of TOR by adding lightsabre-like bat'leths and lirpas notwithstanding). Again, the equipment, tools and other items of everyday Star Trek life for the people in its universe have a basis in science. Adding imagination to something for the purpose of story doesn't make it fantasy.

You're right, however, that Star Trek often uses its technobabble of things that may well be unlikely or impossible, but it's lack of needing to rely on magic, fantastical creatures, mysticism, and anything else Lucas raided from both eastern and western religious canons, means that it does not at all rely on fantasy in any way.

And even when the technobabble starts to run away, somewhere in it - no matter how minscule, is a scientific theory or actual science that is happening contemporarily in the real world.

Star Trek is not space fantasy any more than Star Wars is science fiction. But hey, let's enjoy both and make the game fit better into the Trek universe anyway.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 167
# 66
02-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Double post. No idea how that happened.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 363
# 67
02-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Well, speaking as a fan of Ray Bradbury and some soft sci-fi, I think D'Angelo has gone a bit further than that. When most of the devs indicate that they like sci-fi, it's generally a preference for geek sci-fi as opposed to nerd sci-fi. They like sci-fi CULTURE. Kirk doing ridiculous/fabulous things. Dinosaurs in space. Lasers!

D'Angelo has said he has a general distaste for Ray Bradbury. He likes tech and idea focused sci-fi. Is not a fan of overly visually flashy stuff or emotional/irrational/zany stuff. I also think he indicated he's not personally big on the original series (too colorful/wacky) and is generally a fan of the dryer aspects of TNG.

Zero, Geko, Taco, and Stahl seem to fall on the geeky side of sci-fi as a culture of affiliations. Cosplay. Filk. Socialization. Emotion. FUN COMES THROUGH FREEDOM TO EXPRESS!

D'Angelo is more on the nerdy side. Building computers. He has a comment about how he didn't think of himself as a Trekkie when Cryptic started working on STO and he was at a design meeting about STO having thousands of captains and went into a nerd rage about that because the loss of a few dozen ships was devestating at Wolf 359. This is sci-fi as rigid and well engineered thought experiments and activities. Bug fixes! Quality assurance! Deft code! MATH! FUN IS A WELL ENGINEERED RULESET!

It's a different philosophy. I like Stahl. I think it's time for a more left brained managerial philosophy though and I consistently get the impression that this is what D'Angelo brings to STO and that this factors into his desire for a better ESD, which is already in the works.
If all you say is true, then this D'Angelo guy is (partially) what we've needed for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lored2death View Post
My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
Career Officer
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 384
# 68
02-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimrak1 View Post
First its a multiplayer game not a singleplayer stop using social devices i don't like game. Second there is plenty social about esd with or without party stuff just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not. Third party stuff is fun as hell and makes in-game parties a lot more fun whereas roleplay is not social at all it's just text bs so why not just go sit in a featureless room if you can't play with others. There is a real need for balloons and disco stuff on all space stations as they make them more fun.

Most that happens is one guy uses his party whatever then a bunch of others come and join in and have a fun time for a while except for like 5 minutes when antisocial trolls scream at them for having fun but luckily they last for 5 minutes thats it. Where again is the social roleplay whatever in that?

The esd chat is always lively and full of people. Only reason 99% of the people complain about it is because they have control issues and want to force people to play how they like and be done with it. Maybe you stand around screaming at people to stop having fun but that's weird. I don't really see the reason for it.

ESD is junk, man. Conversation revolves around poorly-informed politics and a bunch of underage people waxing philosophical. Occasionally it devolves further into gorn "jokes" and why JJ Trek sucks.

That being said, maybe the problem would lessen if there were more social zones to do things in. Personally, I love hanging out in Quark's Bar and DS9 in general so I can lurk the RP-ers. I can't see their chat, but I do enjoy watching them do stuff. All we need now is to make DS9 transwarp-able easily, and add some reason to go there, like unique, better than normal doff missions that pay out better, or something. Or launching your STFs from DS9 results in 15 bonus marks right off the bat, I dunno.
Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,094
# 69
02-18-2014, 03:54 AM
You know, if ESD is going to be spending time in the art pipeline again, they need to refit all of the chairs for click interaction. How many years has it been since they introduced that tech at the Academy? It's about time the major social zones were refit with the same tech, and if ESD will be in the dev spotlight this is the perfect time to do it.
--------------======== Joined: January 2009 ========--------------
>>>CLICK HERE FOR DELTA RISING GEAR UPGRADE COST TABLE<<<
Hate the look of the new Arc site? >>Check out my redesign concept images<<
>Once again, UI feedback goes wholly ignored<
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 109
# 70
02-19-2014, 07:32 PM
I want to be able to fly INTO and around the interior of ESD's docking area with my ship. I once made it past the docking bay doors during a lag spike at full impulse. It was a glorious 0.3 seconds!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 AM.