Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm canceling my subscription as we speak because I cannot deliberately fly my ship into a Romulan mining vessel.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
You know, when I was a kid, I wanted to get the board game "Guess Who?", because I thought they really talked.

Boy was I disappointed.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Ok then I want my money back since both Left For Dead games didn't look like the commercials which showed the starting little "episodes". /sarcasm off
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
We've all been burned by games... thats whats great about the internet, you can research the product before you buy it. I did and knew exactly what I was getting into with STO. Reviews, forums, etc... it was all there for a very long time.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-04-2010, 12:58 AM
While I don't think that Cryptic is lying if the footage from the bridge cutscenes they show are actually in the game. However, the way they put the commercial together, to those who have not followed this game's development, it would look as if the bridge is actually useful in gameplay, rather than just a tiny social hub.

It would have been better had they just shown the player sitting in the captain's chair, or standing near the science officer. or something accurate to what really goes on on the bridge (ie, nothing). Intermix that with the action sequences and it would have worked just as well.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda View Post
Ive been watching your commerical on SYFY and it is showing people commanding from the bridge... This is way wrong.. a Complete mis rep of your product.. What are you thinking?? People are going to see this on tv and think cool buy your game and say WTF?? Dont do this to the game..!!!
Its a cut scene dude so how is Cryptic misrepresenting their product?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda View Post
Ive been watching your commerical on SYFY and it is showing people commanding from the bridge... This is way wrong.. a Complete mis rep of your product.. What are you thinking?? People are going to see this on tv and think cool buy your game and say WTF?? Dont do this to the game..!!!
Ridiculous comment - this is standard makrketing practice - what game does not use cutscenes to promote it. What an arrogant and offensive post this is, how dare you accuse people of lieing wihtout getting your facts staright?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Hey Captain Quirk, long time no see.

I'm actually surprised to see you posting. I thought you became disgusted with STO long ago and decided to move on to something else.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Hey Captain Quirk, long time no see.

I'm actually surprised to see you posting. I thought you became disgusted with STO long ago and decided to move on to something else.
I did for a time... Stepping away allowed me to consider things from a different perspective, and I realized just how much stress Cryptic was under to develop a tripple-A MMO in half the time allotted to other MMOs.

I still think that a different design direction should have been taken, and that two years was far too short to "do it right". But I understand now why this is the way they went.

So I defend Cryptic now. Not because I have become a fanboy, but because I know that, given the same time constraints, NOBODY could likely do any better than what Cryptic has done: They have released a solid core game with massive amounts of growth potential. The fact that they announced their first few episodic storylines before launching indicates that they know they have to keep new material coming in order to keep it interesting, and that the core game itself is not enough.

Don't get me wrong. If Cryptic drops the ball and doesn't deliver what everyone, whether they want to admit it or not, knows that STO needs to truly deliver a compelling gameplay experience after the novelty of it wears off, I will jump on them with all fours and go for their jugular... virtually speaking, of course. With the kind of revenue they will be bringing in between subscriptions and microtransaction sales, there will be no excuse in them not start fleshing out the other aspects of the game in terms of the other things we used to debate: meaningful exploration, diplomacy, scientific discovery...

People are already talking about how redundant combat is, and how they hope for more gameplay options. I have come to agree with you to a degree about the importance of combat in conjunction with the core game. But now that we have that core game, it's time for them to start branching out. Things like freelance freighter captains and a compelling trade and economic system to make them worth playing. Things like Starfleet Corps of Engineers that allows players to establish space stations and starbases and player-fleet-controlled shipyards. Maybe even a mining organization that players can create characters to be a part of to augment the supply of raw materials needed for a wide variety of things...

But first and foremost, they need to bring the Klingon faction up to equal terms with the Federation in terms of PvE content. You know... make the game actually reflect the promises that Jack gave about it when Cryptic's involvement was officially announced? Now that the game is generating revenue, he's got the time and the resources to make it happen the way I am sure he really wanted it to be, and would likely have been had he had a 4+ year development cycle...

Right now, for what it is, I am enjoying the game. If it can keep my interest after 30 days, I'll be here for a while. Possibly at least until Star Wars: The Old Republic launches next year. Then it will be down to which game makes me feel more immersed in the virtual world it presents. I'm going to trust Cryptic to do some great things with this game in the meantime. And I have a feeling that I will not be misplacing that trust.

Good to talk with you again.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-04-2010, 01:51 AM
I think game vendors should be required to write "CUTSCENE - NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY" over such scenes in commercials of any kind. Everything else is... well, guess the word I have for it.