Lt. Commander
Hello to all! I finaly got my copy of STO and after three trips back and forth to a local Best Buy getting my PC first upgraded then geting it fixed so the sound would work now I'm trying to play STO for the first time and... I've been waiting for at least an hour while the thing down-loads a patch! Very NOT COOL!! It was frustrating just getting my computer upgraded and then to get it fixed. A patch that's over 1000MB? Honestly what was cryptic thinking? Not everyone has Verizon Fios ya know. Oh well. I hope everyone else has had better luck with the game so far then I have.
Terry
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Do you understand how MMORPGs work, at all?

Do you understand that this game just came out?

Do you expect a HUGE MMO of this size and scope to not put out a huge patch?

Which planet do you live on?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately, updates are a normal part of MMO life... Final Fantasy XI-Online had a 2 hour patch when installed it, and WoW's had some epically large ones.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Welcome to Star Trek: Online OP! Here is a nice welcome from the community you are about to interact with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorilius
Do you understand how MMORPGs work, at all?

Do you understand that this game just came out?

Do you expect a HUGE MMO of this size and scope to not put out a huge patch?

Which planet do you live on?

Enjoy your stay!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately STO is going to go through TONS of GIGANTIC patches until Cryptic sets up a patch and maintenance schedule for STO. That will take a minimum of 3 months to do. But in the mean time we will have random gigantor patches and what not here and there to fix essential things. Eventually the weekly patches will be tiny, and only once a month or so will we get big patches.
Lt. Commander
# 6
I wasnt trying to be an *******...

But why complain about a patch size? The patch is going to fix your game and make it better.

I dont understand it.

Sorry if I came off harsh.
Lt. Commander
# 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questarian View Post
Unfortunately, updates are a normal part of MMO life... Final Fantasy XI-Online had a 2 hour patch when installed it, and WoW's had some epically large ones.
From memory, the largest I've seen WoW have is 1.5gb.
Almost shat myself when I saw that one!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadguy
Verizon Fios
LOL

/10characters
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 07:51 PM
that's a normally practice in MMO, you see the DvD may have been made around a month ago, but we have had patches added since that month, so that gig is all the new stuff that was added.

also don't let the other people bug you.
WELCOME TO THE GAME>
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadguy
Hello to all! I finaly got my copy of STO and after three trips back and forth to a local Best Buy getting my PC first upgraded then geting it fixed so the sound would work now I'm trying to play STO for the first time and... I've been waiting for at least an hour while the thing down-loads a patch! Very NOT COOL!! It was frustrating just getting my computer upgraded and then to get it fixed. A patch that's over 1000MB? Honestly what was cryptic thinking? Not everyone has Verizon Fios ya know. Oh well. I hope everyone else has had better luck with the game so far then I have.
Terry
That's basically how MMOs operate. Usually, a lot of changes occur in the time between making the gold DVDs and the release date, and everyone has to be on the same version for MMOs.