Survivor of Romulus
Let's leave the doom and gloom behind and talk about something positive. We're a bunch of highly creative people and let's share some of that creativity.

What is the best map you've ever created in the Foundry?

What do you like about it? Can you share some of your process in making it? What challenges did you face while making it? Did you use any objects in unusual ways? If you were to make it again, would you do anything different?

And don't hesitate to post some screenshots!

Also if you would like and are willing, we could also share maps for other authors to use. On the Purity series I recreated maps initially made by Cerberusfilms and Kirkfat, and on my latest mission "Cold Winds" I used a technique to create a cool Jeffries tube that Greendragoon came up with.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 2
01-30-2014, 12:48 PM
I'd go with Beta Rana Station. Yes, the OUTSIDE. Lining up all of those pieces took a lot of time and effort. That and the background was.... interesting to make.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Hmmm.... good question...

Either the caves in "Depths of Nukara Prime" or the Ruins in Prime Race Pt1

I want an Armored Hatham called Fluffy!
Lieutenant
# 4
01-30-2014, 01:42 PM
I created a Risa resort for one of my missions. I always thought Risa was bare, so I filled it with vacationers, a "grotto" with swimming girls , Horghon stand, shady criminals, a resort hotel, a gaudy ferengi bar and a floating klingon restaurant (barge of the dead ship).

I had a lot of fun thinking up the characters and filling up Risa and finding creative ways to make a mission. One of the mission was to find a way to disrupt the Ferengi bar. The ferengi bar owner was setting up a display of glasses into a pyramid and you could run through it to complete the mission.

I spent a long while getting it right then the foundry bugged out and started making duplicate maps, misplacing objects and I hit the cap for placing objects and characters. I just said **** it and pushed it out to get it done after realising the limitations.

Later on when the Summer event arrived I found it interesting that it and my Risa looked similar ... that is, only the placement of the resort on the map and the Risan corvette and my Klingon restaurant.

I'll post pics when the servers back online.
Career Officer
# 5
01-30-2014, 02:07 PM
I have to say I'm pretty proud of the map for the capital city in my two part mission, "Treasure of Argelius II".

It took a lot of time to fit all the pieces in, maxing out the objects both building and NPC/mob-wise on a single map. (and still didn't fill in all the gaps or have all the people I wanted - lol).

Is it perfect? No. But it's as close as I could come to an actual city that looked something like the 'persian' flavor portrayed in the TOS episode "A Wolf in the Fold".

And I don't think it turned out badly at all considering the 'cookie-cutter' building footprints I had to use over a map that is half water (because there is no true 'blank' map in the Foundry).
Free the Foundry with a simple, new User Interface: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1316881
(My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371)
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
01-30-2014, 02:15 PM
I think I'm most proud of a map I've been working on for In the Shadow of MIDAS, Part 2. I can't say to much about it, other than it's huge, entirely custom and the centerpiece for the mission. I've also been working on it longer than any other map in the mission.

My second favorite would be the starship crash site from Part 1.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 01-30-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Updated my post with a better shot.
Empire Veteran
# 7
01-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Very tough choice for me.

My favorite map has to be the Cait ground map in Perfection, part 2.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Rihannsu
# 8
01-30-2014, 02:22 PM
OOOHHH pretty glowy tubes! I love those.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Empire Veteran
# 9
01-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
I think I'm most proud of a map I've been working on for In the Shadow of MIDAS, Part 2. I can't say to much about it, other than it's huge, entirely custom and the centerpiece for the mission. I've also been working on it longer than any other map in the mission.
Are you sure you aren't a Cryptic dev map maker?
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
01-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
Are you sure you aren't a Cryptic dev map maker?
I wish.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 01-30-2014 at 02:39 PM.