Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowofBlood
That's because the Devs didn't listen to any of us Closed Beta testers, at ALL...
Actually its quite the opposite, they listened to community way too much and a made a mess of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalBrands
anyone else kinda ****ed about this?
A lot of people are disappointed with the exploration part of the game and before the wipe, there were A LOT of threads suggesting ways to improve them.

1) What can we do ?

Suggest ideas. Bashing the exploration missions is not enough IMHO, those who are disappointed must be constructive and ask for more. The threads will be back, I received a mail from thomasthecat for instance who is working on his minigames mockups and will post them soon.

It would be useless to post those immediately though because the fanbois will instakill them. Within a week, when enough customers realize how shallow this part of the game is, it will be the right time to start posting again. Cyptic do read the forums, hell, Gozer spends 3 to 4 hours a day reading them. Let's help the game grow.

2) What Cryptic will do ?

Zinc said lately that they are working on exploration and will introduce non combat gameplay in them. Jack Emmert confirmed that they will introduce more diplomacy and minigames. It *seems* that they plan to use exploration for these and let the rest of the game 100% pewpew which is a good strategy if you ask me.

Conclusion : wait and see.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyx
Actually its quite the opposite, they listened to community way too much and a made a mess of the game.
OMG! Mickey, thats a frank statement from you!!.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post
I've met a few unique races; fought one to. Very powerful ships with upper level sci and tac captain skills. It was great fun, and extremely challenging. I wouldn't go so far as to say there is false advertising, but I think the exploration missions definately need work.

To whoever said that Cryptic's business model is to churn out copy cutter MMOs fast as possible....Ummmm... yeah. Sorry. After how long they took to create COH, COV, and CO I don't think you've done your research. That they put out games of a certain TYPE, yes. But just toss them out as fast as possible? Nah. Now, THIS game was put out fast. Another year of development would probably have been great. But then again, investors want their money and after Perpetual's FUBAR we're just lucky Cryptic got something THIS good out.
/agree 100%
Its easy to say, well cryptic another year would be great, but you need the money to do that.
Sometimes people think you get everything for free in live.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-04-2010, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Since Beta, I have not really "met" any random life form. I mean, for 8 planets you go scan crap without fighting, your telling me I am not going to run into some kind of indigenous life?

Aside you cannot just beam down to a planet without having to do something repetitive every time, but there is no "LIFE" in this game. The only neat thing I have enjoyed is the planet where it actually snows, that was neat...i guess.

anyone else kinda ****ed about this?

How hard is it to throw some kind of life forms onto a planet? Even if there are enemies you have to face also?

Do not disappoint me Cryptic, CoH got boring in a month and its only been 3 weeks and I feel the same way already. I do enjoy the look of the Nova though. tee hee
do I need to go and explain the Drake equation to you:

N=R*P*n*l*i*c*L

that means that there could either be an extremely large number of civilizations out there, or very few. So shut up, the Exploration missions are completely random, some systems will have civilizations, and some won't, get over it. Not every planet you beam down to has to be full of alien life. :p
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-04-2010, 03:18 AM
I explore more efficient ways to incinerate their ships...

But on a serious note, yeah, it's a little too combat oriented. Need some more things to do.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Since Beta, I have not really "met" any random life form. I mean, for 8 planets you go scan crap without fighting, your telling me I am not going to run into some kind of indigenous life?
SPACE DAWG!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-04-2010, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
do I need to go and explain the Drake equation to you:

N=R*P*n*l*i*c*L

that means that there could either be an extremely large number of civilizations out there, or very few. So shut up, the Exploration missions are completely random, some systems will have civilizations, and some won't, get over it. Not every planet you beam down to has to be full of alien life. :p
I don't see that there is any need to be rude...

and whilst you are correct about the implications of the Drake equation in the RL Galaxy, this is a game...based on a T.V. series, in which the galaxy is literally teaming with life forms. I don't recall Kirk and co. exploring too many dead worlds.

I think that the OP has a fair and valid point. If you are selling a game based on a specific T.V. series I think you have a reasonable expectation that, what amounts to, the most recognisable mission statement in the world will play an important role in the design.

The diversity that he expects is not there yet...note, I say yet...I'm sure that that will come in time. Just be patient.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-04-2010, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
Zinc said lately that they are working on exploration and will introduce non combat gameplay in them. Jack Emmert confirmed that they will introduce more diplomacy and minigames. It *seems* that they plan to use exploration for these and let the rest of the game 100% pewpew which is a good strategy if you ask me.
If they do that then i'll be impressed at them listening to the community.
If they don't do that i'll be unsurprised, but dissapointed.
If they do that and make it a purchasable option in the c-store i'll be angry.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvesDewitte View Post
/agree 100%
Its easy to say, well cryptic another year would be great, but you need the money to do that.
Sometimes people think you get everything for free in live.
Yeah, if they had that extra year, there might be content for Klingons. I've never seen the "other side", aka Klingons, need to be unlocked to play. Not in an MMO, but an opposing force playable in MP but with no story of its own....that really reminds me of an FPS. The Klingons seem more like a compriise the devs had to make because they ran out of time, rather than a design choice from the get go.

Complete MMO's die faster than you can say "Give me Klingon Content". I'd be shocked if I am here longer than a couple months, and thats being generous because I really want to like this game.

Its the first MMO that I'm not thinking about away from the game (and I mean at all), and the first one I've made excuses in my head not to play.