Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I have to say, I've been in denial about STO since the start of beta, trying to leech enjoyment and ignore the faults but it's really rubbed right in your face when you do a few exploration quests.

It's like Playskool took over design of the game. See rock, collect 4 rocks. See plant, collect 4 plants.

I mean cmon. I really want to this game to succeed, but this kind of garbage will chase away thousands of subscriptions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Interesting. Going over your post history I'd say that denial about STO and trying to enjoy the game is the furthest thing from your mind. You ARE aware, of course, that people CAN review your previous posts? And thus, can see that you've been slamming the game with almost every post you've made on this account? All what, 15 of them.

Anyways, I have to agree with your complaint about the exploration missions. They definately need work. I just felt like pointing out that your post history belies your claim of wanting the game to survive. I'm no 'white knight' rushing to the game's defense; I'm just someone who likes accuracy and honesty.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal-p
I have to say, I've been in denial about STO since the start of beta, trying to leech enjoyment and ignore the faults but it's really rubbed right in your face when you do a few exploration quests.

It's like Playskool took over design of the game. See rock, collect 4 rocks. See plant, collect 4 plants.

I mean cmon. I really want to this game to succeed, but this kind of garbage will chase away thousands of subscriptions.
well STO is a typical grinder game. There is no special new unique game system. It is in this way just another MMO copy. They could have implemented some riddles or tried to give us the feeling of the tv show by creating scenarios with open end and morale issues...but then WHY ? Poeple will play it anyway.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Can someone give me a description of what they think an exploration mission would be? I admit that I've only played WoW before so I don't know what other games have.

As far as I know WoW has no exploration missions unless you consider the quests where you deliver a letter to someone.

I love this game but for me the weakest missions in STO are the ones where you just fly around a planet and scan anomalies or run around on a planet and scan something. Plus everything you need to find blinks at you.

Given that I like the missions that are a mix of space and ground combat.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-03-2010, 11:48 PM
You know why this game rocks? Exploration Missions.

Random, never know what your gonna get till you warp in to the system, fun.

This is like the only MMO that doesnt make you go to that hill over there and collect 5 rat tails, but only every 10th rat drops a tail...

You warp in, your Bridge Officers advise you of the situation, you kill some people or collect some pretty rocks, and then your on to the next one.

Even if you only have 20 minutes to play, you can accomplish something in this game, and the collection missions, or the ones where you have to go access some computers...

They didnt kill people in every episode of Star Trek either.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-03-2010, 11:51 PM
While the exploration part of the game does need work, it's not horrible. I spent all day doing exploration missions, primarily for the badges, and actually had quite a bit of fun. No I'm not in denial, or trying to like the game; for the most part I am thoroughly enjoying myself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I been saying since Beta that the Exploration is nothing but an overgloried Random Mission Generator. Where it's either:

1) Planet Needs X ammount of a Commoditie
2) Friendly Asteroid Base under attack, Protect
3) Hostile Asteroid Base, Inftrate
4) Abandoned Asteroid Base with Either hosties or not.
5) Planet mine - kill hostiles
6) Planet mine - mystery, go scan / use console
7) Planet to Scan X
8 Alien X at Planet Y, go investigate
9) Freighters attacked, scan to find out who.
10) Collect Anomolies / Samples

Am I missing one?


The Genesis System is isn't being utilized properly, it should go something like this:

1) Create Scenario: Space Ship Encounter, Unknown Probe Encounter, Moon Base, or unknown Planet.
2) Planet type: Class-M? L? Z?
3) Planetary Ecosphere: No Life? Single-Celled Life? Dinosaurs? Primative? Pre-Technological? Industrial? Pre-Warp? Warp-Testing? Warp-Capable?

4) Alien Type: Hostile? Conditional Hostile (meaning certain things can provoke)? Neutral? Friendly?
5) Alien Race Generation
6) Type of Mission: Observation? Diplomatic? Economic? First-Contact?
7) Types of possible ways to improve friendl relationships, or make it worse and turn into a diplomatic situation.

I'm sure there are more layers to add on, but this is what I envisioned Exploration to be.


Instead of collecting samples, I literally would like to pluck leaves off planets or gather samples off animals, even capturing them for research. I want the thrill of possibly being killed by some alien lifeform or bringing back a disease, where my doctor has to find a cure.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I been saying since Beta that the Exploration is nothing but an overgloried Random Mission Generator. Where it's either:

1) Planet Needs X ammount of a Commoditie
2) Friendly Asteroid Base under attack, Protect
3) Hostile Asteroid Base, Inftrate
4) Abandoned Asteroid Base with Either hosties or not.
5) Planet mine - kill hostiles
6) Planet mine - mystery, go scan / use console
7) Planet to Scan X
8 Alien X at Planet Y, go investigate
9) Freighters attacked, scan to find out who.
10) Collect Anomolies / Samples

Am I missing one?


The Genesis System is isn't being utilized properly, it should go something like this:

1) Create Scenario: Space Ship Encounter, Unknown Probe Encounter, Moon Base, or unknown Planet.
2) Planet type: Class-M? L? Z?
3) Planetary Ecosphere: No Life? Single-Celled Life? Dinosaurs? Primative? Pre-Technological? Industrial? Pre-Warp? Warp-Testing? Warp-Capable?

4) Alien Type: Hostile? Conditional Hostile (meaning certain things can provoke)? Neutral? Friendly?
5) Alien Race Generation
6) Type of Mission: Observation? Diplomatic? Economic? First-Contact?
7) Types of possible ways to improve friendl relationships, or make it worse and turn into a diplomatic situation.

I'm sure there are more layers to add on, but this is what I envisioned Exploration to be.


Instead of collecting samples, I literally would like to pluck leaves off planets or gather samples off animals, even capturing them for research. I want the thrill of possibly being killed by some alien lifeform or bringing back a disease, where my doctor has to find a cure.
Agree. Those are the 10. I think they need a base of maybe 100 or more types and then have different threads through each depending on what you do. Someone asks a question and how you answer can lead you down a different path through the quest.

The most fun combat ground quest I had so far was the one where the people in the bar attacked while I was looking for someone. And that was because I wasn't expecting it. That was cool.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal-p
I have to say, I've been in denial about STO since the start of beta, trying to leech enjoyment and ignore the faults but it's really rubbed right in your face when you do a few exploration quests.

It's like Playskool took over design of the game. See rock, collect 4 rocks. See plant, collect 4 plants.

I mean cmon. I really want to this game to succeed, but this kind of garbage will chase away thousands of subscriptions.
You mean quests like kill 'x", collect 'x', deliver box to 'y', 'kill some more rats, leopards, rabbits, chicken for 'z'?

Tell me one MMO which does not use the same quest formula? sorry but if thats how you feel not a single MMO out there is going to satisfy you. They may change the packing but inside its the same questing formula.

However in STO i am glad i didn't have to collect '20 boar meat' for a half naked guy so far.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JansanRuno
Can someone give me a description of what they think an exploration mission would be? I admit that I've only played WoW before so I don't know what other games have.

As far as I know WoW has no exploration missions unless you consider the quests where you deliver a letter to someone.

I love this game but for me the weakest missions in STO are the ones where you just fly around a planet and scan anomalies or run around on a planet and scan something. Plus everything you need to find blinks at you.

Given that I like the missions that are a mix of space and ground combat.
OOO OOO! I've got a GREAT Exploration mission! "Ensign, go speak with Sulu about patrolling and defending sectors."

I did get one mission where I had to fight some never before seen ships of a race I'd never heard of. Got one heck of a surprise when, while still in my T1 ship, I was faced with an oponent using various upper level sci capt skills. I didn't know what was going on! Now THAT was cool.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 PM.