Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
In short, there are two groups of players:

a) Casuals ("carebears") who want to relax and enjoy. Will play mostly solo or in relaxed group mode. Doesn't want too much of a challenge.

b) MMORPG players ("regulars") who want group play and a challenge. Some of them (me, for example) see solo play as a necessary annoyance, to learn the game and level up for the "real game" (raiding, PvP, other endgame stuff).

So, I think, both sides can be satisfied. Here the proposal:

1. Solo game stays as it is. No "DP", maybe a little sharper in terms of difficulty. A little! And the carebears also get their own end game content, such as special "fun" events (Borg come for the holidays with white beards, Klingon Halloween, Romulan easteregg hunt and whatever else carebears love) so they feel welcome and pampered and all that.

2. Group play ("raids") get a DP - namely "elimination". Works like this: players who lost their ship can't respawn until the "raid" or "group mission" is restarted. Best loot in game of course only for group play (because it's also where it's needed at).

Of course group play content will be hard. Like the HC instances / raids in WoW are. 20 wipes before one sees the boss for the first time - and the boss needs extremely coordinated, timed group effort and is a pain in the youknowwhat.

How about that?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-04-2010, 02:53 AM
This method would make tanking players less plentiful.

Also, your general tone is pretty rude and disrespectful.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-04-2010, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post
This method would make tanking players less plentiful.
Maybe solo play encounters can be tuned to encourage usage of cruisers / science vessels.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-04-2010, 03:38 AM
*bump*

(sorry)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormianrootsolver View Post
b) MMORPG players ("regulars") who want group play and a challenge. Some of them (me, for example) see solo play as a necessary annoyance, to learn the game and level up for the "real game" (raiding, PvP, other endgame stuff).
An MMORPG is a journey that starts at level 1, not at max level.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevekind View Post
An MMORPG is a journey that starts at level 1, not at max level.
Depends on the player.

Personally I'm not really interested in levelling, I'm only interested in group play, in tactics and commanding.

Of course, there are people who like stariting at level 1, but why lone through an expensive online game? I will never understand it, seriously.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-04-2010, 04:03 AM
No. As a PvP player, I don't want to have to farm raids (fleet actions, whatever) for gear. If I wanted to do that I'd be playing WoW.

A better idea is to put a hardcore mode for instances, and put a viewable achievment for beating it in hard core. Thus casual players can play everything, and epeen wavers can point out their win lists. And that way you don't cause gear inflation out of control.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuMatar View Post
No. As a PvP player, I don't want to have to farm raids (fleet actions, whatever) for gear. If I wanted to do that I'd be playing WoW.

A better idea is to put a hardcore mode for instances, and put a viewable achievment for beating it in hard core. Thus casual players can play everything, and epeen wavers can point out their win lists. And that way you don't cause gear inflation out of control.
If you ask me, there should be special gear for PvP, like WoW has it (GW, to some extent, too).

You would get PvP gear from PvP and PvE gear from PvE.

And I like your idea of normal instances for real players and special instances for [edit] / casuals. Loot drops MUST be different, of course. Maybe also the [edit] should not be allowed to have anything better than greens.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post
This method would make tanking players less plentiful.
No it wouldn't. Currently tanks hold aggro for a few seconds before escorts pull it and die. The game has no group tanking mechanics. In fleets you can "tank" better by having escorts split up an enemy pack rather then having one cruiser try and hold aggro while the escorts destroy ships one by one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormianrootsolver View Post
Depends on the player.

Personally I'm not really interested in levelling, I'm only interested in group play, in tactics and commanding.

Of course, there are people who like stariting at level 1, but why lone through an expensive online game? I will never understand it, seriously.
Who says levelling and group play/tactics are mutually exclusive?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 AM.