Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I would like to remind the poster that WOW did not have Heroic dungeons until Burning Crusade came out (two years and change after initial release), and that the level 40 dungeon Maraudon was not released until Patch 1.2, Dire Maul was not released until Patch 1.5. There were not many places to go in WoW, when it was first released. There was no quest helper to guide you, no Cartographer to show you everything. You had to explore and find things on your own. Level 38 and stuck because you can't find out where to level at 40? Too damn bad. Good Luck finding Hinterlands.

this game was released on Tuesday. One should not expect end-game-style content less than a week into release. Cryptic will spice it up a bit, for sure. You're just going to have to be patient.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicus27 View Post
Hey,

I have been playing STO now for 3 weeks and it seems the game offers no challanges whatsoever so far. There is no death penalty, no mission that cannot be finished, enemies are all beatable with just shooting, not necessary to use group tactics or special abilities ect. Only the pvp offers some challange. But here is the problem everyone gets same reward regardless if u lost or won. Where is then the point in winning ? I assume that is why so many Klingons just attack instead of cap flags in some maps. Or even worse they suicide in the 15 kill map when they think they cannot win anymore. Seen lot of them just decloak and then wait for kill to finish faster.

A last thing about end game raid stuff ect. So far all missions that have some bosses, ground or space, just got more hp,shields but no damage output. I am a healer and can say there is absolute no need to heal. Ofc I can heal the aggro guy but for what ? If he gets killed he comes back in 8 sec. and can even join the same fight and it cost him or the team nothing.

Therefore my wish to make the game a little harder or at least more competitive. For those amoung u who like it relaxed in a game Cryptic could enable different modes as in WOW, like heroic and normal instances. Since 90% of all content is instance based that should be easy.
Its not just 8 seconds, more like minute if you dont respawn on place battle is taken as you have to use full impulse that dry your weapons power that takes time to regen or you are just shooting popgun on them.

Also maybe you can try some fleet actions, borgs are currently little OP. Tried one yesterday and one cube can draining your shiled to 0 in less then second and keeping it there even if you use all available skills and have few science vessels helping out at same time. They also use tractor-beam to immobilize your ships and somehow you get in very short time multiple of them on you even when there is not more then 1 in close range.

Same apply for some other fleet actions where you easily can get agro from multiple groups.

If you are are just healer try to fly cruiser that is getting all that beating instead of you.

And most important is that there is still too many balancing issues to actually loose crew and if you have to buy it for merits now, you will run out of them pretty fast even if your ship never pop as at least to me its not problem to have in some combats have 20% crew dead and 50% injured with shields almost fulll and hull not going under 98%. (and no i am not talking about crew damage from explosions.)
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I've been playing sicne the start of OB and it is way too easy at the moment at lower levels.

there should be a real risk of death from at least LVL3 upwards (one or two lvls is enough for a tutorial)

ground combat is also pretty easy but also a bit naff
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Death penalty aside, this is an mmo. There isn't any challenge killing regular mobs solo in any mmo I've played. You can kill a mob afk with auto attack in any game that has auto attack...
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Captain 7 here, i died a total of um 4 times total ... so yeah its way to easy.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Ok, so once you get to L3+ if you die, lose one third experience.

Happy now ?

For the record, a MuD which I am an arch wizard on has had that penalty since launch in '91.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Well I don't even need my BOs. I've been purposely killing them then soloing stuff including ground bosses and huge groups. I'm freakin' invincible.

Well it's not THAT easy to solo. I use stealth sometimes to get away, I pick 'em off a few at a time then go behind something and shield regen or to recharge my weapons then do it again. I don't die. My BOs already supply like 1/5th of the DPS on the team (seriously, they attack so slow and are morons) so really they're just meat shields that can heal you.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilw
You also have to remember - How long has the game been out for?

Also it took how long for WoW to introduce all of the items that you have mentioned? Over 2 Years as far as I am aware before they even looked at things like Heroic instances, better pvp etc

Also In just about every MMO I have played (WoW, Conan, EvE, LoTRO) There is very little or no Death penalty. In Wow what do you get? A slight loss on your armours durability and thats it.

I must admit Eve is the worst as you actually lose your ship and weapons but its not like its that much of a game breaker anyway. By the time your ships get blown up you have about 10 of them stashed in hangers all over the universe.

Just give Cryptic a chance to get things going. PvP will get better, end game content will get more competitive, and mid game content will get more varied and challenging. These 3 things happen in just about every MMORPG.

Remember patience is a virtue
Yeah but, with WoW when they destroyed the difficulty it was by getting rid of 40 man raids ... WoW was difficult until the release of BC at which point it become too easy ... so they added heroic dungeons to keep us busy ... and it became easy ... and then they released Wrath and added heroic everything ... and heroic versions of raids which finally brought back some of the difficulty to raiding ... I hope that STO does the same but, alittle faster ... the game is pie right now ...
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-04-2010, 12:44 AM
The simple solution is this: If you don't enjoy the game, don't play.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSNighthawk
Lvls 1-11 have to be easy because that's effectively the tutorial/noob part of the game.
The only real solution for these difficulty issues is a slider, which City of Heroes has, and as I understand it, Champions will be getting one as well. So implementing something like that shouldn't be too difficult for Cryptic as they've done it to their other two games.
This is the one thing I hate about MMOs. This unwritten rule that its a foul to kill the player in the first x number of levels. Complete hog wash.

This stuff about "I'm a casual player and don't want to have to play a game, when I get off work, that forces me to think, exercise mental disciplines, or have to multi-task. I want each and every level handed to me because I work hard all day long and shouldn't have to work in my game time".....then get another hobby for the love of Pete.

I spent 15 years in the military and worked everyday sometimes putting in 60-70 hours a week, and still when I got home and played a game (of course this has only been in the last 8 years of so of playing MMOs) I was happy to find a challenge and work for what I wanted. Its a different challenge. If you don't want a challenge, then go play with Barbie dolls. I mean its one thing to be a carebear about PvP, but really carebearing PvE is taking it too far.