Lt. Commander
# 21
02-04-2010, 01:02 AM
I only think that the enemies in space in the first sectors are too easy. Yeah in Beta the difficulty was most of the time alright. Please make it a "bit" harder.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollisb View Post
Ok, so once you get to L3+ if you die, lose one third experience.

Happy now ?

For the record, a MuD which I am an arch wizard on has had that penalty since launch in '91.
I like this idea. Lose between 1/3-1/2 of the accumulated XP for the level you are currently on, then you just have to do more missions again. Which will help since this game also moves forward a tad quickly I am soon Captain, and I have had my character since head-start. I would also like an optional slider to refuse XP and stay on current level, that way I can enjoy my ship for more than a day

And MuD....those where the days
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-04-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm not a big fan of huge death penalties.

City of Heroes has XP Debt. Basically when you die, half of the XP you earn is going towards the "debt" and not to your advancement.
When the game was new you spent most of your time in debt, and it was a momentous occasion when you actually were free of XP debt.
..Only to be killed again in next mission, because the blaster decided to do a bit of tanking.

At the moment the debt is so little that you can recoup it after a large group of enemies, so basically it's non-existent.
But you can't always just press a button and respawn, and that makes a big difference.

In STO, instead of the present "just click and respawn" there should be a mechanic to use, if you want to "rez".

Either it would be to emergency warp back to starbase (so you'd have to travel back afterwards), or wait as a wreckage until your teammates can revive you.

Lore-wise it could be emergency repair nanobots (science vessel) or automated repair drones (engineering vessel) that could fix you up. Those could be used only in non-combat mode, so you couldn't just jump back up in battle.

You could also carry emergency automated repair drone batteries (like rez "potions").

Either way of reviving would leave you with 0 power for a certain period of time, hull at 10% and shields down, so you'd have to repair the ship for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-04-2010, 02:43 AM
The Devs have already stated they are looking to add a difficulty slider

you can make it difficult ourself, simply have a friend fleet with you but not enter instances, now they are balanced for multiple players :0
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Death Penalty, tougher space fights (especially Romulans are too easy) and lower exp.
You can be Admiral in 3-4 days if you push it. That is just way too fast for a mmo, heck it's even too fast for a single player game.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-04-2010, 02:48 AM
@Manuwise

While I agree with you on most points, this game seems not made for the (hard)core gamer in mind, but more for the younger generation and the casual do-a-quick-sitting-before-I-have-to-walk-the-dog crowd. These are the people that pays the bills, and not the 10% that want the game realistic/difficult/perfect/younameit.

@Sophia

Agree 110%
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-04-2010, 02:57 AM
I'm not in favour of a death penalty but I would like to have to dosomething in combat as opposed to just leave on autofire and slmost be able to continue to chat whilst the other ships explode
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-04-2010, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilw
You also have to remember - How long has the game been out for?

Also it took how long for WoW to introduce all of the items that you have mentioned? Over 2 Years as far as I am aware before they even looked at things like Heroic instances, better pvp etc

Also In just about every MMO I have played (WoW, Conan, EvE, LoTRO) There is very little or no Death penalty. In Wow what do you get? A slight loss on your armours durability and thats it.

I must admit Eve is the worst as you actually lose your ship and weapons but its not like its that much of a game breaker anyway. By the time your ships get blown up you have about 10 of them stashed in hangers all over the universe.

Just give Cryptic a chance to get things going. PvP will get better, end game content will get more competitive, and mid game content will get more varied and challenging. These 3 things happen in just about every MMORPG.

Remember patience is a virtue
In wow the panelty is the spawn point itself which may be quite far from where you have been killed. Sometimes it takes long minutes to get there but one thing is sure. Wipe is unkown here. The MOBS life is not restored when you die and actually if you manage to kill a few of them then the dead mobs will not return even if they are in the same mob group and some of them left alive. I agree anyway that it took many years for wow to implement and introduce staffs like pvp grounds and heroic instances. It is not fair to expect the same in one shot from Cryptic and I aam not sure that it should be a copy of Blizzard's wow in space. There was a reason why people like me stopped playing wow.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-04-2010, 03:00 AM
If there is a death penalty or not I still don't want to die

in the same way as a single player game what normally has no death penalty

and reallyIi don't like having to wait to play the game

everyone was *****ing about the queues yet if there was a death penalty what added a "rez sickness" for 15mins or whatever then it is fine.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-04-2010, 03:06 AM
it supposedly gets difficult later on....

Anyway, they nerfed most of the game after OB, sadly.

I prefered the CB end, where things were DIFFICULT.

It took effort to kill things your level ,and if it was above you, it took a lot of skill.

and as to the afk comment....sadly i admit to being afk and completing a lot of battles. All i have to do is set impulse to slow, put autofire on and let my ship do the talking while i go do some uniwork >_>