Lt. Commander
# 1 Brief Guide to Cooldowns
02-04-2010, 12:01 AM
When thinking about cooldowns, Bridge Officer powers should be thought of in terms of 1) their officer's power 'slots', and 2) the system being used, and not the power names.

Powers do not share global cooldowns (i.e., internal cooldowns only), but systems do share global cooldowns.

System GCD seems to be 20 seconds, while minimum power ICD seems to be 30 seconds (modified by captain skills).

This means that powers (regardless of I, II, or III) with 45-second ICDs can be chained up to 3 times between system GCDs., and powers with 30-second ICDs can be chained up to 2 times between system GCDs.

This can be done all from the same officer, but ideally you would want officers who each have the same highest power (e.g., 2x LtCmd with High Yield Torpedo III).

Example:
Lieutenant Officer1 has PowerA I and PowerA II, which uses SystemA. Ensign Officer2 also has PowerA I.

I activate PowerA I, which triggers both SystemA cooldown and Officer1 PowerA I cooldown. PowerA across both officers, all 3 slots, will show as being on system cooldown, but the timer will count down only for Officer1 PowerA I's slot.

This means that, while Officer1 PowerA I is still on cooldown, SystemA's global cooldown will finish. I will then be able to use Officer1 PowerA II, or even Officer2 PowerA I, all while Officer1 PowerA I is still on cooldown.

If in doubt, try it out.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Player Abilities and Cooldowns
02-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Received a PM asking about player abilities.

Player abilities do not use any system cooldowns.

(At least, this is true for the player abilities that I have used. If you come across a player ability that does use a system, let me know!)

It's good to be the captain.

Furthermore, player abilities simply level up as you level up, so you will only have one version of Rotate Shield Frequency in your Powers Tray. (That version will be numbered according to your progress, such as Rotate Shield Frequency III.)

Of course, this means that you cannot chain multiple copies of them together. This is the price to pay for the lack of a system GCD trigger.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
When thinking about cooldowns, Bridge Officer powers should be thought of in terms of 1) their officer's power 'slots', and 2) the system being used, and not the power names.

Powers do not share global cooldowns (i.e., internal cooldowns only), but systems do share global cooldowns.

System GCD seems to be 20 seconds, while minimum power ICD seems to be 45 seconds.

This means that powers (regardless of I, II, or III) with 45-second ICDs can be chained up to 3 times between system GCDs.

This can be done all from the same officer, but ideally you would want three officers who each have the same highest power (e.g., 3x LtCmd with High Yield Torpedo III). In a less than ideal world, you would settle for two officers, both with the same highest power but one of whom has the second highest version as well, in case you cannot wait those last 5 seconds of the first ICD. (For example, LtCmd with High Yield Torpedo II and III, and a Lt with High Yield Torpedo II.)

Example:
Lieutenant Officer1 has PowerA I and PowerA II, which uses SystemA. Ensign Officer2 also has PowerA I.

I activate PowerA I, which triggers both SystemA cooldown and Officer1 PowerA I cooldown. PowerA across both officers, all 3 slots, will show as being on system cooldown, but the timer will count down only for Officer1 PowerA I's slot.

This means that, while Officer1 PowerA I is still on cooldown, SystemA's global cooldown will finish. I will then be able to use Officer1 PowerA II, or even Officer2 PowerA I, all while Officer1 PowerA I is still on cooldown.

If in doubt, try it out.
Once you train your bridge officers (and there's no reason why you wouldn't), the cooldown on HYT drops to 30 seconds. That means power cooldown of 30 seconds and GCD of 20 seconds, so you'd only ever want to cycle 2, not three.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradence View Post
Once you train your bridge officers (and there's no reason why you wouldn't), the cooldown on HYT drops to 30 seconds. That means power cooldown of 30 seconds and GCD of 20 seconds, so you'd only ever want to cycle 2, not three.
Thanks, I wasn't taking into account CD reduction from captain skills. I have edited the top post accordingly.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Tactical captain skill attack pattern alpha doesnt trigger global cooldown on other patterns, so feel free to use them.

Dispersal patterns with 9 ranks are on 45s cooldown.