Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
People we must have patience! There are obviously many forum members here who either have very short memories or have no experience of other mmorpgs at launch. It is plainly ridiculous to compare a game barely out of the womb to a teenager like EVE or a mature adult like WoW. You must realise this – no?

What a polished experience WoW is right? How many years did it take to get them to that point? How much money spent?

There is way too much unconstructive whining and moaning on this forum – what a sad sappy bunch we are making ourselves sound, we are acting collectively like a spoilt brat. This game is literally a handful of days old – and, already, look at the negativity on this forum (although I do wonder if it is just the idiots that shout the loudest here, as in game there’s hardly any of this bitterness).

If you have an idea or a criticism then point it out, the chances are many others will agree with you - and support you. If you want to cry like a baby go find another game to pollute.

I’ve said it before there will never be another STO if this one dies before maturity. Listen to yourselves: “I want, I want, gimme, gimme, gimme,” - news is you cant have everything you want this minute with a cherry on top. How dispiriting it must be for developers who have poured their heart into this game to hear some of the crap on this forum from people who are probably here for no other reason than to gripe.

In a year’s time I honestly believe I’ll be playing in one of the richest, most immersive and entertaining online environments in existence – and yes I am more than happy to wait that long for the game to be great because – THAT’S HOW LONG IT TAKES as a minimum – I can see potential here people, vast untapped wells of potential that are depthless in their possibility and boundless in their diversity.

I can’t wait for the future of STO and no other MMO will get a single penny of my money until this one has had a fair shot at it over many months to come. You see I don’t have the money or the time to play multiple MMO’s, I have to surface in the real world quite a lot, but while STO is evolving I will remain loyal and look to reap the rewards that I am sure are only a light-year away.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-04-2010, 12:55 AM
I particapated in the WoW closed beta... All I can say is even during closed beta when they had our levels capped at 20 there was MORE content in WoW then is currently in the entirety of STO.

EvE has MORE content is 3 "Sectors' then STO has in its entirity..

Lets face is, Cryptic has handed an impossible mission when Paramount pulled STO from Perpetual Entertainment and gave them a ridiculous timeline..

Yeah.. this is a ST themed MMO.. I'll give them that, will it be remembed as anything more then an abysmal failure a year from now? I doubt it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-04-2010, 01:03 AM
This launch is actually worst than Anarchy Online's! There I said it! AO just had a lot of downtime but when you played you had a sense of community and a world to EXPLORE and things to do.

You can't even compare WoW's and EvE's launches. They both took the time to actually develop the game (around 4 years for WoW) and I remember WoW's open beta being around a month long.

Either way, even at launch when I *could* play I found enjoyment. I want to give all my hope to this game...but unfortunately for Cryptic 'my hope' translates into dollar signs...and that's all that matters to them now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
You have made some great points, and what little bit I have been able to play STO between the lag spikes and wasted hours just trying to log in have been very enjoyable I think you are missing the reason for the expectations. Many experienced gamers have seen game after game go through the exact same issues especially at luanch. Most of those games have found fixes and corrected issue after issue, and the question is becomming why, after seeing all these games have the same issues can the designer community still not learn from its mistakes. No one is expecting a perfect game at luanch, but maybe we should be. When you see twenty-five guys infront of you fall in the exact same hole, wouldnt you think to step around the hole when it becomes your turn? I will continue to play (or attempt to do so) up to a point, so dont get me wrong. It is just my humble opinion that at what point do we stop making excusses and appologising for poor luanches, and actually learn from predicessors mistakes?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xionanx View Post
I particapated in the WoW closed beta... All I can say is even during closed beta when they had our levels capped at 20 there was MORE content in WoW then is currently in the entirety of STO.

EvE has MORE content is 3 "Sectors' then STO has in its entirity..

Lets face is, Cryptic has handed an impossible mission when Paramount pulled STO from Perpetual Entertainment and gave them a ridiculous timeline..

Yeah.. this is a ST themed MMO.. I'll give them that, will it be remembed as anything more then an abysmal failure a year from now? I doubt it.
There is not a single review of WoW at launch that agrees with you. Take a look around and see what the big guys were saying about the glitches and bugs in WoW at launch and the server issues that went on for weeks. You are looking back with rose-tinted spectacles my friend. Selective reasoning I think.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xionanx View Post
I particapated in the WoW closed beta... All I can say is even during closed beta when they had our levels capped at 20 there was MORE content in WoW then is currently in the entirety of STO.

EvE has MORE content is 3 "Sectors' then STO has in its entirity..

Lets face is, Cryptic has handed an impossible mission when Paramount pulled STO from Perpetual Entertainment and gave them a ridiculous timeline..

Yeah.. this is a ST themed MMO.. I'll give them that, will it be remembed as anything more then an abysmal failure a year from now? I doubt it.
/signed

I also took part in the closed beta for WoW Vanilla. After that I worked for Blizzard for about 2 and a half years. While MMO's all get a little repetitive, STO does it from the very start. Mostly because of it's highly instanced structure. You are told to go to instance #1 and kill stuff. Then pop out to the general instance map to get a new mission to go into another instance #2.

WoW might have had a lot of the same style missions but they weren't all the same damn thing every single time. Patrol missions pretty much are. Sure, you don't go around collecting 10 rabbits feet, instead you go to some pin ***** on an otherwise empty star map, get instanced in, scan a few things, kill a few things, or a mixture of both and you're done. You never go back there. You never really know why you're doing it (other than Feds are lazy asses who can't patrol).

If there's one bad thing about WoW that has been getting worse and worse id the homogenization of the classes. STO doesn't have that problem ... because there aren't any real classes in space and ground combat is just lame. (Spare me a run down on what the classes are SUPPOSED to be ... because in-game it all ends up /target /shoot /next target)

I do think Eve sucks, though. Boring as hell.

I'd also like to point out that consumers aren't here to fund a companies development. You're not an investor, you're a consumer. A gamer goes out to buy a game that he or she enjoys and wants to play. They don't make excuses when the game play is ****** and try to rationalize it by saying, "Well, they're trying! Maybe they'll get better!" Take a step back and realize that kind of thinking is exactly the kind of thing you'd think about a r*tarded kid.

Also they said SWG would kill Star Wars MMOs and now look. The industries best RPG development company is working on a new one.

Some industries just don't work when you give a contract to the lowest bidder. This is more art than it is equipment and merchandise. You don't hire a half drunk dude on Venice Beach with a paint brush and a pack of water colors if you want a Masterpiece.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh800 View Post
/signed

I also took part in the closed beta for WoW Vanilla. After that I worked for Blizzard for about 2 and a half years. While MMO's all get a little repetitive, STO does it from the very start. Mostly because of it's highly instanced structure. You are told to go to instance #1 and kill stuff. Then pop out to the general instance map to get a new mission to go into another instance #2.

WoW might have had a lot of the same style missions but they weren't all the same damn thing every single time. Patrol missions pretty much are. Sure, you don't go around collecting 10 rabbits feet, instead you go to some pin ***** on an otherwise empty star map, get instanced in, scan a few things, kill a few things, or a mixture of both and you're done. You never go back there. You never really know why you're doing it (other than Feds are lazy asses who can't patrol).

If there's one bad thing about WoW that has been getting worse and worse id the homogenization of the classes. STO doesn't have that problem ... because there aren't any real classes in space and ground combat is just lame. (Spare me a run down on what the classes are SUPPOSED to be ... because in-game it all ends up /target /shoot /next target)

I do think Eve sucks, though. Boring as hell.

I'd also like to point out that consumers aren't here to fund a companies development. You're not an investor, you're a consumer. A gamer goes out to buy a game that he or she enjoys and wants to play. They don't make excuses when the game play is ****** and try to rationalize it by saying, "Well, they're trying! Maybe they'll get better!" Take a step back and realize that kind of thinking is exactly the kind of thing you'd think about a r*tarded kid.

Also they said SWG would kill Star Wars MMOs and now look. The industries best RPG development company is working on a new one.

Some industries just don't work when you give a contract to the lowest bidder. This is more art than it is equipment and merchandise. You don't hire a half drunk dude on Venice Beach with a paint brush and a pack of water colors if you want a Masterpiece.
There is much that I agree with here although In would point out that only products whihc have a well supported consumer base go on to be reworked, improved and revamped.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
There is much that I agree with here although In would point out that only products whihc have a well supported consumer base go on to be reworked, improved and revamped.
And Star Trek has that, especially with even more fans of new generations that are going to be enjoying the new JJ Abrams films.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-04-2010, 01:14 AM
I agree with you, I still think that because the game is so young, there is problems and they will be fixed. Things will be changed round and improved, but it takes time granted I would imagine everything has to go under Paramounts noses first so it will add extra time. But look at SWG it was terrible on release and took ages to get going and playable. Cryptic will add new content and changes as time goes on, they already have distress call missions and I enjoyed fetching supplies for non-fed colonies in the Delta Vega. Granted I haven't tried PvP yet but PvE has been fun and more fun with mates.

Patience is needed here, heck the game isn't even out in over here till Friday.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
There is not a single review of WoW at launch that agrees with you. Take a look around and see what the big guys were saying about the glitches and bugs in WoW at launch and the server issues that went on for weeks. You are looking back with rose-tinted spectacles my friend. Selective reasoning I think.
I didn't mention bugs an glitches, because I agree WoW had them and so does STO.. what I talked about was Content.. WoW had more to do in its first 20 levels then STO has to do in 50.. I am currently a Captain.. it hasn't even been a week and I have already done EVERY mission up to my currently level and I'm 10 levels for "Cap" in STO..

Once I hit cap do you know what I'll be doing? PvP... thats it! There is NO Raiding.. the is NO repeatable mission that requires a "Group" there is NO storyline at Cap.. you just get there and PvP.. which is garbage. Like I said before, Cryptic was handed a big steaming pile of **** and they made ****'ade from it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:58 PM.