Lt. Commander
** This is all unofficial...but incorporates relevant information from canonical sources. **

Courtesy of (the also unofficial) STO "Real Life" Sector Maps & Stellar Atlas from Mal's Maps.

What you will find here is more than just a mental exercise I performed about Average Warp Speeds and a Unified Warp Speed Chart...but also what I derived from the canonical references about canon Warp Speeds, Cochranes, and Sub-Space -- and more importantly how STO's version of Trek can fit into that.

This Chart illustrates a bunch of data and I will walk you through it.

Normal Space Warp:

The first section of columns is "Normal Space Warp" and shows the Warp Factors (wf) of the infinity ending TNG warp scale and the cubed TOS warp scale. It shows the average *c factor (average rate of travel compared to the speed of light, i.e. *c of 2 = 2 times the speed of light) of those warps.

The "STO-RL wf" column shows my postulated unified (TOS/TNG) warp factor scale based on the *c factor needed for the actual RL distance traveled during episodes.

I postulate that there is actually a Subspace Quantum Barrier (SQB) at 10,000 *c (or likely more accurately at 1 MegaCochrane, but that is getting ahead of things) This SQB is postulated to function over any of the three warp factor scales (TOS, TNG, or STO-RL unified) ... basically the SQB prevents subspace disruption through normal warp without shifting the warp method to the next high band...a physical limitation we can assume has not been addressed due to none of the known powers having the ability to generate a distortion field anywhere near the 1 MegaCochrane order of magnitude to maintain such a warp field.

Quantum Slipstream:

The Quantum Slipstream and Transwarp Conduit Drive are assumed to be related enough in their "physics" as to have the same overall conditions. The TCD is *NOT* considered the same as the Transwarp Gate Node method which is addressed next.

Quantum Slipstream is not rated in warp factors, but in LY/HR (Lightyears an Hour)...however we can *assume* that the canonical references to warp factors above Warp 21 in the TOS scale were actually ships utilizing Quantum Slipstream.

I have postulated that there is also a limit to the Quantum drives...and this would be the "hard limit" for travel in which the ship actually transits the physical space between start and end points, known as the Quantum Slipstream Barrier (QSB)

Transwarp Node Travel:
This is the point-to-point or gate mode and it functions in more rigid strata (getting more compressed at the upper end of the spectrum.)

This method postulates that there are three strata to Transwarp Gates, but only one is a "natural" layer...that is the "Transwarp Alpha" -- and all naturally occurring TW Nodes and Borg TW Signals operate on this "frequency"...this is the most easily accessible TW layer and is the one that the Alpha/Beta Quadrant races utilize for their Gates (which are very likely situated on natural node locations to facilitate access.

This "Transwarp Alpha" band gives a rough range between gates of 79 LY +/- 10% depending on spatial compression at each node point. This travel is basically instantaneous point-to-point, but is rated at LY/SEC.

It is likely safe to assume that older civilization gates, such as the Iconians, operate at one of the two higher TW bands.

As with the previous two methods, a limitation on Transwarp P2P travel is postulated at the next order of magnitude.

Subspace Distortion Spectrum:
This section gives the breakdown of the preceding sections in Cochranes, the color codings showing the transitions in the Subspace Spectrum.

Subspace Radio Bands:
This section illustrates the different Subspace Radio Bands:

Transwarp Signal Bands (TeraCochrane Bands) High, Medium, Low Bands.

Subspace Radio Bands (Mega & GigaCochrane Bands) Very High, High, Medium, Low, Very Low Frequencies.

Un-boosted Subspace Radio messages are "naturally" at the Very Low and Low Frequencies and are longer ranged the lower the frequency (but slower)

The higher the frequency the higher the message speed, but shorter effective range of the message as the power to frequency drops off more dramatically the higher you go into the GigaCochrane spectrum band.

Relay Stations pick up the lower frequency messages and "pony express" them across the communication network.

It is important to note that it is very possible that Quantum Slipstream drives can, or at least should be able to, disrupt subspace communications.

------------

Hope you enjoyed this and it helps you add depth to your STO Foundry missions!
Real Sector Maps - Online Atlas - for Star Trek/STO
Foundry Missions:
Scepter of Minos * Grapok in the Generals Lung * The Sky Above, The Clouds Below * Legend of the Inspector General (16+) * Miridoor (41+) * Survival Must Be Earned (a Klingon Romeo and Juliet story)

Last edited by realmalize; 02-10-2014 at 11:19 PM.