Lt. Commander
# 1 The Foundry, questions
02-11-2014, 11:07 AM
How all does it work? I'm curious about it and what I can do with it.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Career Officer
# 2
02-11-2014, 11:08 AM
That's a very general question which makes it very hard to answer!

Simple overview:

Author make a mission using the Built-in Foundry tool
Players find the mission using the in game Foundry Catalog and play them just like normal Cryptic Missions

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
That's a very general question which makes it very hard to answer!

Simple overview:

Author make a mission using the Built-in Foundry tool
Players find the mission using the in game Foundry Catalog and play them just like normal Cryptic Missions
Okay, now for a more specific question. Could such missions be designed for fleets to use?
Career Officer
# 4
02-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Yea you can use the Foundry missions for whatever you want. For instance I know the RP community has made maps for their own use. There are several fleets out there who use the Foundry as a initiation mission too.

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
Yea you can use the Foundry missions for whatever you want. For instance I know the RP community has made maps for their own use. There are several fleets out there who use the Foundry as a initiation mission too.
Cool... *steeple hands and shifty eyes*
Captain
# 6
02-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Kirkfat has some very good foundry tutorials on youtube. I am going to make one soon.

Visit my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Akurie369?feature=watch
or, follow me on FB https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bi-Sh...70769523107039
Career Officer
# 7
02-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwehn1979 View Post
How all does it work? I'm curious about it and what I can do with it.
Definitely go to starbaseugc.com and check out the tutorials by Kirkfat. Back when I was a Foundry rookie, I had one screen opened to the tutorials while I experimented in the Foundry. It changed this game from just a normal grinder fantasy game for Trek lovers to an awesome experience for me and others as well.

After you learn the basics , also you can come into the SBUGC chatroom and meet some of other Foundry authors, rookies and veterans alike, who love helping. You will soon find yourself among friends that share the same passion if you are into storytelling, and also can use it for Fleet-Style missions. I have one mission 50% complete that some of the roleplayers in my fleet requested.

In some ways, the Foundry for all intents and purposes is like designing your own Star Trek video game, with all the hard work done for you such as the programming and graphics, etc. It is a pretty awesome tool once you get the hang of it.

I am against using it for loot hunting, as some have done, and Cryptic has done a "little" to dissuade the Foundry from that use, but nonetheless, they still exist.
Anyhow, give it a go, check out the basic tutorials first to get the feel by trial and error, and soon you'll be finding ways to do things unique yourself. We look forward to seeing what you can come up with, and when you do, pass the word so we can check it out.

Good Luck!

Duke-of-Rock
ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
02-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Keep in mind that while you certainly can make a mission for your fleet, there isn't anything built into the editor to restrict access to only your fleet.

If that doesn't bother you, than no worries But if you do want to restrict access, what you can do is not say in the mission summary where the starting location is, and then just personally tell your fleet mates before they start the mission.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 9
02-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks to folks for the mention of the tutorials.

The back to basics Primetime UGC series is the most up-to-date and comprehensive overview:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noo...torials-guide/
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2014, 01:27 PM
I definitely will be getting foundry access eventually. It opens up a whole new world for me and my ideas for a fleet.