Lt. Commander
Send a request to technical support, couldn't even bug the issue in-game said "could not connect"

As of last Saturday or Sunday 1/30 to 1/31 the game graphics have been unstable. Flickering, tearing, artifacts, random colors you name it, it's there. It starts as soon as I load the program and reach the log in screen. Everything's affected, even the loading screens which are little more than just pictures.

All other software on my machine works fine. Shortly after this stated to happen, I took a break from the game because I thought it was a server load issue. I managed to install Mass Effect 2 with no problems.

Going over the forums I'm seeing similar problems with different video cards but it's the same symptoms and timeframe it doesn't even seem to matter between ATI and NVIDIA.

For what it's worth it happens in fullscreen and windowed mode, when it's windowed everything else on the computer is normal, the corruption only happens with the STO program itself. I also went through the entire open beta without any problems whatsoever.

I try disabling every option in the Video settings, none of it fixed the issue. Oddly enough, framerate isn't the issue, turning everything off improved the framerate slightly but the graphics were still corrupted.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Are you using a 64 bit operating system?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Windows XP 32-bit
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 04:31 AM
I am getting the same issues with Win 7 64-bit and an Nvidia GeForce 295 at the default settings. The video froze twice during the character creation screen and the opening videos didn't even play, although I had sound.

When the video freezes, if I CTR-ALT-DEL out of the game, and then come back in, it is fine, but when the pixelated multicolor issue happens, it takes a full restart.

I have noticed that every time I start the game, a message appears in the lower left corner that says something to the effect of "Pointer is currupt, fixing..."
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Hmmm.... Issue fixed itself after a reboot of the system. Although I'm not entirely sure if there wasn't a minor patch somewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm glad to see it's not just on the ATi cards.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Have you tried updating to new drivers? My 9800GTX was artifacting, texture tearing, massive FPS drops and black screen crashing untill I updated to 196.21 drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 03:00 AM
Using Vista Business 64 bit with 12 Gig of RAM

I've been having similar problems as well, but only in SLI mode of my 295 GTX.

When switching SLI off all thing s are ok.

Also switching to the latest nvdia beta drivers helped, the effect now comes less often.

The interesting part is: when the multicolored solarzation like effect starts and i tab out to inspect the computer's resource usage i find that *10 Gig RAM* are occupied, but it is not shown by what!

Also the RAM stays taken up until i reboot, stopping the game doesnt help, which leads me to think it may be something in the drivers..

Tried the last three graphics driver generations, all have that problem, but with the betag ones it comes less often.

The only time this occurs when running STO, so imho there has to be some connection between

a) STO
b) SLI Mode
c) Memory leaks of some kind