Survivor of Romulus
# 11
02-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxp View Post
Hi all!
I seem to remember that the Dyson Reputation was the benchmark of a revamp of the reputation system.
Do I remember correctly?
I don't know about "the benchmark of," but it was said back at its introduction that if it were well-received, they'd look at reworking all the others in a similar way.

And then it was very, very well-received.

And then the Eepho (Emergency Executive Producer HOlogram) took over.

Most of the buzz since then seems to have been "The players are happy, we can't have this. Moar grind!!!!1!!!"

Personally I'm just waiting to see how long before they announce Dyson rep being reworked to suit the Eepho's vision of grinding day and night. Wouldn't be surprised to see removal of the sponsorship tokens as well, but I'm a grouch like that.

"In STO- that's the sound of the grind, working on the chain gaa-aaa-aaang..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Blog
While we are removing part of the game, we hope that this improves the overall quality of STO.
-facepalm-
Captain
# 12
02-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerontzur View Post
As has been mentioned, the Dyson reputation was deemed a failure because their 'metrics' indicate people are already finished with it and they want something to keep people playing until the next update(which may have had an influence in the anniversary event being structured into the event reputation in such a drawn-out way).
Sadly, their metrics can't tell if we rush through content because we enjoy it, or if we are working slowly on it because we hate it, and take our time.
I know I hated Nukara, and really took my sweet time. Dyson was fine. New Romulus was bad, the eppoh thing was boring. Omega is the best.

One of the biggest problem they never solved, is the very low reward vs time/difficulty for a lot of the reputation queued mission. For example, azure nebula. The reward is pathetic AND random. The vault ensnared is no better, the mission is quite long, and not so easy with PUGS, yet the reward is low. So people do CCE instead.
Yet, they continue that way.

I think an example on how bad it can be is found on New Romulus, the adventure map. There are random plants/rocks you can collect. When you have 10 of them, you are awarded Romulan Marks : 1 mark for 10 items. Now, either Cryptic forget to remove the placeholder reward, or if they are trolling us.
----
Career Officer
# 13
02-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Ok, I sadly understand

Well, not that sadly
Maybe Dyson Rep is a little too friendly: I consider myself too much of a "casual" gamer to have a strong opinion on how these things work or how they should work, none the less I see the problem of creating content that get burned too fast... I suppose we all aknowledge the need to grind, it's that just I don't like to grind that much.

The best solution would be to find what can be considered a reasonable amount of grind.
I know I don't have any power nor any way to influence how things will evolve, sometime you just talk about something because you like it and you care for it
Captain
# 14
02-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Other than the differences in marks, the main thing that Dyson had was that the main, long project gave 2500 rep instead of the 2000 rep. The mini project gave less than the other mini ones (800) but you could run more than one in a 20 hour period. Playing with those may be a good way to "slow down".

I think the mechanics on the marks/commendations are a great way to make rep not seem more fun and less like a chore, but playing with the project rewards I'd have no problem with. Last thing I want is to have more things like Nukara (which I still have yet to finish on any character), Romulan and Omega reps. Those kinda suck.
Career Officer
# 15
02-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Personally, I would be so grateful if they revamped every reputation track to be like the Dyson one. Complete a single mission per day and then go and get some marks to complete both reputation missions. Instead of going out and finding the cheapest place to buy commodities, simply put in Energy Credits.

It's SO MUCH easier. I went back to my Klingon to start the Omega rep and got so pissed off when I remembered how much of a grind it was compared to the Dyson track.
Captain
# 16
02-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloishammer View Post
I don't know about "the benchmark of," but it was said back at its introduction that if it were well-received, they'd look at reworking all the others in a similar way.

And then it was very, very well-received.

And then the Eepho (Emergency Executive Producer HOlogram) took over.

Most of the buzz since then seems to have been "The players are happy, we can't have this. Moar grind!!!!1!!!"

Personally I'm just waiting to see how long before they announce Dyson rep being reworked to suit the Eepho's vision of grinding day and night. Wouldn't be surprised to see removal of the sponsorship tokens as well, but I'm a grouch like that.

"In STO- that's the sound of the grind, working on the chain gaa-aaa-aaang..."
lol, Spot on.
Captain
# 17
02-12-2014, 10:42 AM
It would be in Cryptic's best interest to keep the grind in place.

Let's imagine the next season comes with no grind at all. If this were the case it would be played by everyone intensely for a few weeks at most, and then everyone will get bored and abandon the place. Without the grind to prompt repeating the content there is no incentive.

Cryptic cannot keep up with the demand for new things to do. The grind is there to keep players logging in and ticking over as they develop new content.

Long story short, I wouldn't hold your breath for changes.
Tion Sorahn - Federation Engineer
- - - - -
STB Channel Member
- - - - -
"Something everyone always forgets, all grind is optional"
Career Officer
# 18
02-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post

Let's imagine the next season comes with no grind at all. If this were the case it would be played by everyone intensely for a few weeks at most, and then everyone will get bored and abandon the place. Without the grind to prompt repeating the content there is no incentive.

Cryptic cannot keep up with the demand for new things to do. The grind is there to keep players logging in and ticking over as they develop new content.

But throw in too much grind and the non-hardcore folks say forget this and move on to their old favourites.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Captain
# 19
02-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupaholic View Post

Of course they need the grind.
People need to have something to do in the game to keep them playing. And thats their interest.

Problem is, its poorly handled.
The reputation is the only real progression we have right now, and its a good concept in its BASICS.
But 2 problems:

1. the grind effects different players differently.

Some people just have one characters, other up to 30. Obviously 30 are extreme but still.
The ones with only 1 character are done "relatively" fast.
The ones with multiple characters... not. But since they have to start the same over and over again at almost ZERO, they burn out.
Sponsorship helps here, but its not enough.

But the result is: The Metrics show people are finished to soon, since the 1 character players are = more grind.
The others complain about to much grind, rightfully, because for their play style IT IS to much.

So the current execution handles this very very poorly.
And making it that difficult for people with multiple Chars IS NOT in Cryptics best interest.

If they "force" us into just one "MAIN", they loose out on sales. If I just play fed, I'll hardly buy Romulan or KDF ships. I'll hardly buy additional ship slots, bo sloty, expand my DO roster on different alts ect.

2. Limited content circles.

This game has technically so much more to offer. But foundry mission, mission replays, exploration ect just do not pay out.
If we want progress we need to do the rep missions, we are locked in a small circle of content, and, in case of Nukara for example, very poorly designed content.
Cryptic PLEASE USE YOUR F*** GAME! There is no point locking us into that fraction!! (but I have written a long post about that particularly linked in my signature)
Support more story content in STO
Commander
# 20
02-12-2014, 11:20 AM
still waiting for them to add bridge extensions, bridge enhancement's,
or bridge unlocks with reputation system.