Lt. Commander
re: Season Openers / Season finale's
by Ankah on 04 Sep 2010 01:30 pm
During the episodes of TNG/DS9/VOY/Etcetra

There was alot of " events " that marked the beginning of a season or the close, in TNG the most memorable was Wolf 359/ Locutus Arc

voy had bog, undone, arcs

ENT had whatever those huge balls were that time traveled or something

STO did it with the End of Beta Event, the Borg attacked in mass all over the place, and Feds and klinks fought side by side and sometimes 3-way battle royale

So literally i would like to see something that ties the seasons together,to make us WANT to see what happens next so far the only thing there is that brings the seasons together is a couple hundred MB patch.

Say for example in season 3 the main enemy is the Rommys, days or week before the Episode comes out, just have the Rommys go ape **** on the galaxy, or a major change. And after the episode it goes back to normal some way bringin the players involved, but still leaving a lasting effect to where a person KNOWS what happened, and new players " OMG you were there "

In the Ancient enemies arc the feklar invaded Quonos,,, and the city burned, after the mission, it was back to how it was like nothing happened. There is no permanency anywhere in STO, I don't feel like i am experiencing star trek at all, the Borg are flying around in circles, not invading, same with undine, and everywhere else.

I loved a game i played back in the old days before the Internet, back during BBS's

TRADEWARS 2002 - look it up, that's closer to star trek then this. The AI invaded crap, destroyed bases, planets, expanded territory. And you could even add new races, heck the one i played on called The Bit Bank we added Romulans, Borg, and host of others, and if we left them alone, they would take over the galaxy and beat the crap out of us. Later on i played on Telnet server XPD8.net

If we leave them alone in STO,, yea their still there, flyin the same circles
Lt. Commander
# 1952 Ideas/suggestions
09-05-2010, 03:27 AM
Short term:

Display weapons on costume option, though you'd have to work around kit clipping issues somehow.

Klingon Empire emblem instead of Federation emblem on screen while zoning a KDF character. And if the last character played was KDF it would be good to have a KDF login screen instead of the Federation one. The KDF players will appreciate it.

Ability to export all game settings as a file then re-import on new characters.
Reason why is the amount of settings which seem so clearly set for game testers as opposed to less experienced newbies is quite striking, and I have to spend ages setting them right when trying new character builds. Auto-attacking without a target? That is the bane of group tactics and makes for many bad pulls. Stopping movement during contact dialogs? That's a jarring experience, enabled by default, and I can tell you from a skilled video editor's point of view, jarring experiences are like poison to the subconscious mind - you WILL turn people away from the game with this option enabled by default. Trust me. I've spent many a late night setting up a scheme of options which I believe to be most user-friendly. Since they seem to be stored serverside I'm giving you permission to download these settings from my account and spread them to everybody. It seriously makes me wonder at your common sense levels (not you personally, Mr Hard-working dev) when looking at the weird options you've got set up as the defaults, because they ARE NOT user friendly, they DO cause bad pulls and they DO jar the subconscious mind. But hey, if that's what you were going for then don't let me stop you. I'm just trying to help here.

EDIT: And a f******* mute button for Zachary Quinto!!!

Mid Term:

Extra armour slots for wrists (like cool watches that improve your stealth sight for example) and gloves & helmets (for spacesuity goodness).

Make all Federation sector space look a bit more like the Deferi sector.. sleeker, darker.

Places on Risa to spend latinum on tourist stuff (horgon statues, extra uniform pieces (t-shirts that read I heart Risa / I went to Risa and all I got was this lousy T-shirt), flowers, jewelry and other social-type trinkets).

Hiring of holosuites in Quark's bar using latinum. Load up a program from a list of maps for a few bars of the gold-pressed stuff. 1 bar=10 minutes on a timer before you're zoned out or something like that.

Long term:

Shore leave missions in persistent planetside ground zones where you have to solve mysteries for artefacts/trophies.

As much emphasis on deep story-telling as repeatable grinding-type missions. This includes diplomacy for all factions.

Re-work the Federation tutorial so it starts on Earth at Starfleet Academy.

Make Starfleet Academy a persistent ground zone/trade and mission hub.

I could offer suggestions all day but that's enough for this post.
Lt. Commander
# 1953
09-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang67 View Post
and the city burned, after the mission, it was back to how it was like nothing happened. There is no permanency anywhere in STO
This is an inherent problem with all MMORPGs, it's not just Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 1954 Most
09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Quote:
and the city burned, after the mission, it was back to how it was like nothing happened. There is no permanency anywhere in STO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
This is an inherent problem with all MMORPGs, it's not just Star Trek.
Most MMOs. Guild Wars had persistent effects. There was a mission "Fires of the North" that once the mission was complete the smoke north of the city disappeared permanently and if you went by the location the fires had been extinguished, although the monsters would respawn.
Lt. Commander
# 1955
09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
As I'm sure that alot of suggestions and thoughts have already been mentioned, I do hope that the devs to take note and hopefully implemen tone key idea as a short term idea....

- Allow sorting of missions in the Mission UI window... at the moment all I am aware of is that it only shows random missions that you have in your mission log... what would be cool is if you could sort them only for say, a certain level or level range... or the sector of space that you were currently in.

As for the mid/long term ideas, 2 things:

- I think the tutorial mission needs to be reviewed... Either coming up with a variation idea between the Borg wanting to kill everyone or something like Klingons invading or a rouge cell of Andorians who have a grudge or something like that... either way, this could be a good time to finally fit 2 birds with one stone and make the 'starter' ship, to being something like the NX class or TOS Constitution... I'm sure that it would shut alot of people up to have the NX in the game.

- Have the ability to refit/retrofit ships yourself... eg: want more speed, add a 2nd engine (lower level of course)... want more weapons, add another weapons slot etc... the only thing with this is that there would be a hefty price to pay in order to do this... not sure how the devs would want to try and do this.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth. I'll leave it to the devs to read and do what ever with it.
Lt. Commander
# 1956
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Long term (again)

I still want to shoot player characters in sector space when I feel like it. (like in Morrowind)
Lt. Commander
# 1957
09-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Short Term: Making more crafted weapons available for higher levels, currently the highest is like a level VIII weapon I think.

Mid Term: Make the inside of the starships more personally touched. I would enjoy getting to setup my cabin and quarters to my own liking.

Long Term: Find a way to introduce the Khazon into the storyline. I am personally a big fan of Star Trek Voyager and realize this is mostly likely a wishful thought on my part, but going toe-to-toe with a mothership would be fun.

Really big wish: Please for the love of god and all that is holy, introduce the NX Enterprise or Daedalus as playable ships. Both hold a special place in a trekkie's heart. Daedalus, for those who do not know is a "primitive" version of the Olympic class, looking like a Kirk-era with a circle saucer section.

Thank you for reading and taking my banter into account. Have a great day.
Lt. Commander
# 1958
09-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylbanus
Quote:

Most MMOs. Guild Wars had persistent effects. There was a mission "Fires of the North" that once the mission was complete the smoke north of the city disappeared permanently and if you went by the location the fires had been extinguished, although the monsters would respawn.
Aye, that's true, and I count Guild Wars original campaign as one of the better MMOs I've played =)
Lt. Commander
# 1959
09-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A88mph View Post
Long term (again)

I still want to shoot player characters in sector space when I feel like it. (like in Morrowind)
Like in Morrowind????

What happens if you bump an enemy player in sector space? Does it not start an encounter? I've never came across the situation myself, but I would hope that's the way it works.

Bare in mind also that the only weapons you can fire in sector space (which is warp speed) would be torpedos since energy weapons can't travel faster than the light particles they're made of. Best you could hope for is taking pot shots with torpedos and not many of them are going to hit a ship moving at warp speed.
Lt. Commander
# 1960
09-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyardraan View Post
As I'm sure that alot of suggestions and thoughts have already been mentioned, I do hope that the devs to take note and hopefully implemen tone key idea as a short term idea....

- Allow sorting of missions in the Mission UI window... at the moment all I am aware of is that it only shows random missions that you have in your mission log... what would be cool is if you could sort them only for say, a certain level or level range... or the sector of space that you were currently in.

As for the mid/long term ideas, 2 things:

- I think the tutorial mission needs to be reviewed... Either coming up with a variation idea between the Borg wanting to kill everyone or something like Klingons invading or a rouge cell of Andorians who have a grudge or something like that... either way, this could be a good time to finally fit 2 birds with one stone and make the 'starter' ship, to being something like the NX class or TOS Constitution... I'm sure that it would shut alot of people up to have the NX in the game.

- Have the ability to refit/retrofit ships yourself... eg: want more speed, add a 2nd engine (lower level of course)... want more weapons, add another weapons slot etc... the only thing with this is that there would be a hefty price to pay in order to do this... not sure how the devs would want to try and do this.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth. I'll leave it to the devs to read and do what ever with it.

If you take the time to read this thread you'll see that the hard-working Devs are using it as one of their prime sources of inspiration and ideas.

On mission sorting:
You know you can set any mission as a Primary from your misson log and have it appear at the top of the mission tracker list on the UI? It's not perfect but it's something at least, to save you having to scroll all over the place.

On NX ships:
The NX Enterprise was an experimental ship from 50 years PRIOR to the original series. In real terms it's a hunk of junk from a by-gone age with a maximum speed of Warp 4 or 5 IIRC. On top of that you will find that the vast majority of Trek fans don't even rate Enterprise as a Star Trek series. If you don't believe me, try starting a debate about it in zone chat at Earth Space Dock. For these reasons I'm going to vote against forcing new players into an NX hull enterprise in the tutorial, but by all means have it as an optional ship somewhere in the game.

On retro-fitting ships at massive cost to the player:
I don't think catering to the uber-rich elite is what Star Trek is about. Have you ever played Eve? It's almost impossible to compete with players who've been subscribed for more than 6 months, creating a serious class division and making newbies prime targets for griefers with more in-game money than manners. So I have to vote no on this too. You're in a ship given to you by Starfleet. If you want to butcher a ship for fun, it should be a third party ship (speedy shuttle/runabout etc.) but certainly not Starfleet property.

That said, I think ships warp engines should be upgradable to a maximum of warp 9.999, with starter/lower-tier warp engines being limited to slower warp speeds. If you want more speed, work harder for your faction and get a faster ship as a reward.

I'm sorry but my humble opinion is that your mid and long-term ideas would damage rather than improve a game which is already skating on thin ice.