Lt. Commander
Is it me?

Online, the chat channel is filled with "this is rubbish", "that doesn't work" "cryptic should....", "I can't believe that they....".

People also seem to enjoy flaming each other, helpful advice is often clogged up with sarcastic comments.

These forums seem the same too, take the thread "how not to waste skill points again ever" in the advice section. Some guy goes to the trouble to explain his views on how the BO points work in his experience. First two responses say "thanks". The others are either a) slating him for being WRONG! (how dare he) or slating STO for not doing it their way "why isn't there a 'kill every ship in the area' skill at level one, this game is rubbish".

MMORPG's are what you make of them. can't we all just be nice to each other and have a little patience with STO while it finds its feet? I know it costs money, but I don't know of a game worthy of the name that didn't have glitches and bugs when it first came out.....But one of the major factors for people playing an MMO is the community....

If you don't like the way it's done, why not do us a favour and vote with your feet instead of bringing the rest of us down about it all?

Or is it me? where are the happy people?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 05:21 AM
It's not human nature to discuss the positive. :/

Most people would rather focus on the negatives.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 05:24 AM
Then again the game might just simply be poor. Why is that never a possibility?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain01 View Post
Then again the game might just simply be poor. Why is that never a possibility?
It is a possibility. But that's a matter of opinion, so poor/good is not a "truth."
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 05:25 AM
most people are
1) Busy working
2) taking in RL
3) Asleep
4) palying the game rather than posting in forums

Only reason forums busy is due to the maintenance going on atm
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Well, I'm generally happy with the game, overall. There's a few things that are blatantly missing or unfinished, and the game has an overall "Rushed out the door by Atari" feel to it that I've come to expect from Atari. (Didn't those guys go out of business in the 80s? LOL?)

But due to the general unhappiness of the population that you've mentioned, and is hard not to notice when you're playing the game, I tend to keep to myself, keep chat closed, try not to get caught up in the flames and sarcasm in the game while playing.

I guess I'm like a lot of other folks: Too busy trying to enjoy the game that's there instead of complain about the game that I think it should be.

I'm a lifer, though, so I probably have a zen attitude about it and what I hope Cryptic eventually does to make everything better.

Plus, I'm an older gamer, who has been there for quite a few MMO launches, and most of this is stuff I've already been battle hardened by.

/K
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevok View Post
It's not human nature to discuss the positive. :/

Most people would rather focus on the negatives.
honestly this. It's also why the News is filled with negative..people dying...earth threatening storms/quakes/etc...death destruction.

we as a race thrive on the negative for some pathetic reason.

far as the forums go...by default forums are the most negative...it's where unhappy people and trolls come to complain, whine, and...troll (yes some just get off on trolling for the sake of it.) People happy are playing...

I come to the forums because it's what I do when I'm bored...I see the positive and negative of this game and really don't sway more to one or the other side (well since I sub you can say I swing more towards positive)

but it is funny..to be honest...other then Champions Online and Star Trek Online I've not played an MMO (and I've tried 99% of them all) where most of the chat is filled with poeple complaining about how the game plays etc...it is actually something to be concerned over..whether you agree with those people or not...if numbers dwindle because most aren't happy the game WILL suffer.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badem View Post
most people are
1) Busy working
2) taking in RL
3) Asleep
4) palying the game rather than posting in forums

Only reason forums busy is due to the maintenance going on atm
5) in Fleets, talking to their friends. After I joined a fleet and shut off the Local and Zone-chats, I enjoy the game a lot more.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Hello OP,
You've just experienced server maintenance time on the forums.
When the servers are up, the forums go quiet(er) than usual.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevok View Post
It is a possibility. But that's a matter of opinion, so poor/good is not a "truth."
A (maybe) half-complete product that b-stardizes intellectual property is grounds for "poor" regardless of whether a person likes it or doesn't.

For instance, flies love feces.