Lt. Commander
# 21
02-04-2010, 03:41 PM
the only way pink phasers would fit in with the lore, is if Q decided to have some fun....

....now MANDATORY pink phasers - that would be quite the world event!

personally, even though i used blue phasers, i'm happy its gone. i love seeing blue torpedos and knowing they're quantum
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itanius View Post
Angry/upset players generally don't read existing threads or the Dev Tracker before making a bee line to the New Thread button...
As was of course demonstrated by the angry/upset players posting multiple threads to get it removed in the first place
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
I'm middle of the road.

I understand the interest in customization it provided...but it was also something that was NOT needed in the Star Trek universe.

Canon Nuts > Visual Customization

From a Canon standpoint....No way, no how.

Phasers should be one color, TOS Phasers only exception being blue.
Disruptors should always be green...etc.

From a Gaming standpoint...Doesn't really matter. The somewhat observant could have figured it out quickly that your Orange "Phasers" were really something else...

Tho I still think having a repeating macro that rotated colors between every shot....on the USS FABULOUS!!! would have been hilarious.
It's funny how people keep crying 'canon', especially when it's obviously a choice on the part of the weapon manufacturers as to what the color is. For example, Cardassian hand weapons are called phasers and shoot a yellow beam. Some of their ship weapons were phasers(re: ds9 era), other races used phasers in other colors, etc etc. Also, in Canon, is the non-use of disruptors on federation starships or use as hand weapons by federation officers.

Please stop saying 'is! Isn't!' when it's obviously both; yes it is since they can be changed. No it isn't since it's policy not to(and could be difficult to change the colors). Just say you liked it or didn't.

Me? I liked it, both from the aspect of being 'different' and from the roleplay aspects. I was going to have my liberated Borg's ship using green torpedos(like the Borg do) and green phasers. ah well, so much for roleplaying that.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-04-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm glad it's gone too. Phasers, disruptors, quantums, should all be the color they were intended. PERIOD.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanemura View Post
I'm glad it's gone too. Phasers, disruptors, quantums, should all be the color they were intended. PERIOD.
you dont happen to have a disruptor bank mounted on your custom patterned federation vessel made from 3 differnet models, being captained by a guy (who might be a borg..) wearing either a 40 year outdated uniform or one that is blue/white and red on an engineer at all do you?
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-04-2010, 04:58 PM
umm.. no for two reasons.

1. not approved by CBS under the license ( as stated by a dev back in OB)
2. it screws up pvp and make it impossible to tell what weapom is being used so you can't equip[ the ship properly
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieone
umm.. no *snip*

2. it screws up pvp and make it impossible to tell what weapom is being used so you can't equip[ the ship properly
thats bs. i call shenanigans. you cant change your loadout in combat, and if you cant read the combat log to see what hit you, then sorry you feel that way but the means to find out exactly what hit you are there.

and really with fed ships equipping disruptors is it really important what colour those disruptors are?

the pvp excuse is not the viable example the pvper's keep throwing it up to be. if you dont like the colour change then say that pure and simple. stop using canon and pvp as an excuse because both fail. this is a game. build a bridge and get oiver it, or go back to wow
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-04-2010, 05:42 PM
I liked it because in a fleet action I can make sure I'm firing at the enemy I think I am.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralKaine
thats bs. i call shenanigans. you cant change your loadout in combat, and if you cant read the combat log to see what hit you, then sorry you feel that way but the means to find out exactly what hit you are there.

and really with fed ships equipping disruptors is it really important what colour those disruptors are?

the pvp excuse is not the viable example the pvper's keep throwing it up to be. if you dont like the colour change then say that pure and simple. stop using canon and pvp as an excuse because both fail. this is a game. build a bridge and get oiver it, or go back to wow
Funny that you ignored the first part of his post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieone
umm.. no for two reasons.

1. not approved by CBS under the license ( as stated by a dev back in OB)
If that statement is true, then it kills all discussion, as Cryptic CANNOT let it in the game, wheter you want it or not.

To that I will add what I stated in another thread: If its really for your own pleasure you want to color your laser, then ask for Cryptic to have client-side only color change. You see em, no one else does.

And before you argue that "its not as fun if no one see it", I'll reply that the reason this debate is heated is because it kills the fun of other people to see the rainbow colors weapon. Wheter or not they make sense in their claim is irrevelent: the issue is you having fun vs them not having fun anymore.

I don't care if you think its harmless, the freedom of one individual should never prevent the freedom of other.

So, if you want to ask something, ask it to be client-side. thats the only way you can enjoy customization freedom without impacting on others own definiontion of what is enjoyable.

But like I said, if what hobieone said is true, Cryptic simply cannot let it in. dot.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-04-2010, 05:56 PM
i ignored the first reason because very few people use it, the overused one is the one i disputed.

and i would prefer this to be a client side change, because for me i want to see the difference, but could care less if anyone else does. if it was client side only would be fine with me. or maybe an option for others ingame to check a box and see them too, because there are quite a few that would like to see it.

as to the CBS reason, well thats mostly forum rumour. and being that the game has in turn made them money i doubt they would be too fussed over a client side colour switcher tbh. in the end to these companies its all about the money.