Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
02-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieone
1. not approved by CBS under the license ( as stated by a dev back in OB)
Without a link to a post this is just a rumor. Unfortunately, since beta forums were wiped, this can neither be proven nor disproven until a dev speaks on live forums. If it is true, then it's possible that Cryptic just didn't think to ask if they could switch weapon colors, and so feel like they shouldn't unless they're told they can. Based on the amount of positive feedback in regards to the colors, I think it would be worth asking. If they did ask, and CBS told them 'no', then that should be acknowledged on the live boards, in which case I'm sure CBS would start to get fan emails asking for them to change their minds.

It would seem odd to me that CBS would allow you to have non-canon ships (both intermingling parts of different models, and using models that are themselves entirely new) and to also let you paint your ships pink, but not let you change the color of your weapons (which there actually is some precedence to, as not all phasers in all series were the same color).

A side note: being allowed to change your uniforms doesn't seem like an applicable argument to me, as Star Fleet sometimes changed the uniform designs drastically multiple times within a short time period, and there were officers allowed to dress casually as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
02-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salion2 View Post
Without a link to a post this is just a rumor. Unfortunately, since beta forums were wiped, this can neither be proven nor disproven until a dev speaks on live forums. If it is true, then it's possible that Cryptic just didn't think to ask if they could switch weapon colors, and so feel like they shouldn't unless they're told they can. Based on the amount of positive feedback in regards to the colors, I think it would be worth asking. If they did ask, and CBS told them 'no', then that should be acknowledged on the live boards, in which case I'm sure CBS would start to get fan emails asking for them to change their minds.

It would seem odd to me that CBS would allow you to have non-canon ships (both intermingling parts of different models, and using models that are themselves entirely new) and to also let you paint your ships pink, but not let you change the color of your weapons (which there actually is some precedence to, as not all phasers in all series were the same color).

A side note: being allowed to change your uniforms doesn't seem like an applicable argument to me, as Star Fleet sometimes changed the uniform designs drastically multiple times within a short time period, and there were officers allowed to dress casually as well.
Well considering that so many ships seen in Trek are a Kibbish of other ships already seen in Trek.......The mix and match ships make sense. With the exception of the blue Phasers in TOS however the weapon's colors have been pretty consistent.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
02-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I've heard of red phasers in some movies...although I've never paid attention to details like that, so as far as I know that's just a rumor.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
If they ever meant for you to be able to do this there would be a slider to choose your color. You wouldn't have to do something as roundabout and ridiculous as type in the color's position on a color wheel in degrees.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
02-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
Well considering that so many ships seen in Trek are a Kibbish of other ships already seen in Trek.......The mix and match ships make sense. With the exception of the blue Phasers in TOS however the weapon's colors have been pretty consistent.
I agree, the ship models make sense to me, too. After all, they could be models that are either new, modified, or unseen yet still existing. I think that this argument could apply to weapons colors, too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimumWarp View Post
If they ever meant for you to be able to do this there would be a slider to choose your color. You wouldn't have to do something as roundabout and ridiculous as type in the color's position on a color wheel in degrees.
"meant" ... i don't like this argument. The developers meant for Klingons to be a PvP-only faction, yet by popular demand they are adding in PvE content. This shows that design plans can change. I agree that it was technically a bug, and never intentional, but that doesn't mean they can't modify it and put it back in. i hate to mention WoW, but the whole "phasing" technology that Wrath of the Lich King made heavy use of was originally a bug, too. (I found this out in my Collector's Edition dvd interviews, so I don't have a link).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salion2 View Post
"meant" ... i don't like this argument. The developers meant for Klingons to be a PvP-only faction, yet by popular demand they are adding in PvE content. This shows that design plans can change.
You're acting like they removed a feature. They removed something that was essentially a hack. The only reason why /powerhue was in the game was because it was something they put into Champions, which uses the same engine.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
02-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
Well considering that so many ships seen in Trek are a Kibbish of other ships already seen in Trek.......The mix and match ships make sense. With the exception of the blue Phasers in TOS however the weapon's colors have been pretty consistent.
Not really. The phasers from TOS were actually green and sometimes yellow or yellowish white as well as the blue that everyone remembers.

(The following nerd rant is not in response to quoted text just my two cents on the whole deal.)

For that matter when did we ever see clown suit uniforms? Or commbadges like these? Things change in the future... you can accept a hot pink Miranda class starhip... or a ship with a miranda saucer, upside down nacelle struts mounted to centaur class nacelles and a 'ShiKahr" class roll bar? a buh?
and what kind of ship is ShiKhar? that never existed before... I mean there were a few variants on the miranda... but the only CANON variant ever mentioned was the Soyuz and it looks nothing LIKE the ShiKhar or however you spell that... Also they nerfed the miranda's weapon load out profile... she should have FOUR torpedo launchers (two fore two aft) and then her roll bar mounted phaser cannons... and by the TNG phase somewhere between four and SIX phasers arrays. It wasn't a "Light Cruiser" or any kind of cruiser. It's a Destroyer... meant for border patrol. And then they have the other two variants on a common weapons paperdoll. I really don't see anywhere on a Centaur class ship that you could mount cannons. Really I don't. Though it did have a decent torpedo and beam array loadout.
I could go on and on and argue till I'm blue in the face about how Galaxy Class ships had anywhere from 8 to 12 high end beam arrays and 3 seperate torpedo launchers which doesn't fit the paperdoll. Or how the Excelsior is glaringly missing from the TOS ships yet the constitution is available (don't get me wrong I love the connie). on and on and on I could go about the ways this doesn't meet canon. I'm a trekkie... way way way to nerdy. I admit. I know shiht and remember shiht and waste my time with shiht...

Why can I load disruptors to my federation starship? And how did I get them from the bird of prey that just obviously was destroyed entirely, with no remaining parts, in a warp core breach?
Why can I paint my ship pink?
Why can people run around spacedock with a weapon out and no one think it's strange?
Why does spacedock look completely different?
WHY ARE HALLWAYS 30 FEET HIGH?
WHY IS THERE 20 FEET BETWEEN ALL MY BRIDGE STATIONS?
Why is the default tactical division colour red when it was always yellow before like operations and engineering?
Why can my engineer wear pink in his uniform and my science officer wear lime green?
Why don't I have a first officer?
Why does my tactical officer call down from the ship to tell me sensors have picked up incoming hostile vessels... when he's with me on the away team? Especially when it's only a two person away team!?!

There are so many other glaring issues that I really don't care about either... I wanna have fun... so niggly little details don't bug me that much... you know... like coloured phasers. Or terrible names for ships. Or the fact that my purebred vulcan science officer likes to pet his tribble and get's the same buff even though canon states that he should be completely unaffected...

I am Six, Liberated Borg Captain of the Hot Pink USS TestyMcTestTest. A pure (no kitbash) Miranda class starship with dual disruptor cannons, a rear disruptor beam array and only one photon torpedo launcher even though we clearly have the holes for 3 more on our vessel. Oh and the beam arrays on the front half of the ship? yea they're just painted on for show... they match the pink nicely. My ship can experience as many warp core breaches as it wants and we never die. I can shoot down 4 Negh'Var class ships at the same time without even losing my shields. Every 20 hours or so I get promoted and near the end I skip the rank of Fleet Captain and Commodore entirely because I'm just that awesome. Also Chuck Norris is my Fleet Admiral, Harrison Ford is my Exec and Decard Caine likes the amazon...

Really. Coloured weapons was the battle the canon mashers chose to win? All the topics that are right in your face and weapons colour was the one that they picked?? Such a small victory... and for the people who said it was for PvP reasons... well uhm... ok so you can't tell what kind of weapon they're using... but they ALSO can't tell what kind of weapon you are using! for all they know... you've coloured YOUR phasers green... and don't have disruptors at all! GASP.

I give up. I really don't understand this crowd at all... At least the game is fun... I've really discovered that easiest way to make it more fun is to ignore all team and fleet invites and minimize the chat window... it's a shame... I'm completely ignoring the MMO part of this game. And they worked so hard...

Can you tell I miss my matching pink weapons? They looked great. I really should've called it the USS AbFab and gotten some pink streamers for the rollbar. Christ it was gaudy and christ it wasn't canon... but you know what? It was FUN. It made me smile to think of the big tough klingons being brought down by the power of pink!

But as we all know... Star Trek and the Internet are SERIOUS BUSINESS ONLY!!!!!
Now I'm keen to go back to Earth spacedock and make my ship as un-canon as possible out of spite. And Ugly too! Baby blue and Teal! And I'm going to make my character incredibly grotesque. Maybe if everyone does they'll make EVERYTHING canon... not just some things randomly.

oooo. Don't worry Nerd Rant over. Caravan Palace came on on my playlist... I can't be mad at anything when these guys play... there's just too much awesome all at once.
-------> listening to this! -----------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjomu9K0Xk
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Far too often it is hard to tell who in my fleet is firing at what. It is especially bad when you have beam weapon exchanges. Sometimes it is even hard to tell what I'm shooting at on some of the larger fleet actions.

When powerhue was available, I could visually track who was attacking what much better. Maybe there could be a setting that removed friendly and one for enemy color changes. That way you could still use the color changes for pvp to coordinate, and still see what people are sending your way.

And the die hard people could simple leave the color changes disabled. Everyone would be happy. The color changes could be off by default.

This reminds me a bit of all the raiding I did in WoW. Coordination is key. It would be nice to have more tools to mark enemies/allies as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
02-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxicorm View Post
Not really. The phasers from TOS were actually green and sometimes yellow or yellowish white as well as the blue that everyone remembers.

(The following nerd rant is not in response to quoted text just my two cents on the whole deal.)

For that matter when did we ever see clown suit uniforms? Or commbadges like these? Things change in the future... you can accept a hot pink Miranda class starhip... or a ship with a miranda saucer, upside down nacelle struts mounted to centaur class nacelles and a 'ShiKahr" class roll bar? a buh?
and what kind of ship is ShiKhar? that never existed before... I mean there were a few variants on the miranda... but the only CANON variant ever mentioned was the Soyuz and it looks nothing LIKE the ShiKhar or however you spell that... Also they nerfed the miranda's weapon load out profile... she should have FOUR torpedo launchers (two fore two aft) and then her roll bar mounted phaser cannons... and by the TNG phase somewhere between four and SIX phasers arrays. It wasn't a "Light Cruiser" or any kind of cruiser. It's a Destroyer... meant for border patrol. And then they have the other two variants on a common weapons paperdoll. I really don't see anywhere on a Centaur class ship that you could mount cannons. Really I don't. Though it did have a decent torpedo and beam array loadout.
I could go on and on and argue till I'm blue in the face about how Galaxy Class ships had anywhere from 8 to 12 high end beam arrays and 3 seperate torpedo launchers which doesn't fit the paperdoll. Or how the Excelsior is glaringly missing from the TOS ships yet the constitution is available (don't get me wrong I love the connie). on and on and on I could go about the ways this doesn't meet canon. I'm a trekkie... way way way to nerdy. I admit. I know shiht and remember shiht and waste my time with shiht...

Why can I load disruptors to my federation starship? And how did I get them from the bird of prey that just obviously was destroyed entirely, with no remaining parts, in a warp core breach?
Why can I paint my ship pink?
Why can people run around spacedock with a weapon out and no one think it's strange?
Why does spacedock look completely different?
WHY ARE HALLWAYS 30 FEET HIGH?
WHY IS THERE 20 FEET BETWEEN ALL MY BRIDGE STATIONS?
Why is the default tactical division colour red when it was always yellow before like operations and engineering?
Why can my engineer wear pink in his uniform and my science officer wear lime green?
Why don't I have a first officer?
Why does my tactical officer call down from the ship to tell me sensors have picked up incoming hostile vessels... when he's with me on the away team? Especially when it's only a two person away team!?!

There are so many other glaring issues that I really don't care about either... I wanna have fun... so niggly little details don't bug me that much... you know... like coloured phasers. Or terrible names for ships. Or the fact that my purebred vulcan science officer likes to pet his tribble and get's the same buff even though canon states that he should be completely unaffected...

I am Six, Liberated Borg Captain of the Hot Pink USS TestyMcTestTest. A pure (no kitbash) Miranda class starship with dual disruptor cannons, a rear disruptor beam array and only one photon torpedo launcher even though we clearly have the holes for 3 more on our vessel. Oh and the beam arrays on the front half of the ship? yea they're just painted on for show... they match the pink nicely. My ship can experience as many warp core breaches as it wants and we never die. I can shoot down 4 Negh'Var class ships at the same time without even losing my shields. Every 20 hours or so I get promoted and near the end I skip the rank of Fleet Captain and Commodore entirely because I'm just that awesome. Also Chuck Norris is my Fleet Admiral, Harrison Ford is my Exec and Decard Caine likes the amazon...

Really. Coloured weapons was the battle the canon mashers chose to win? All the topics that are right in your face and weapons colour was the one that they picked?? Such a small victory... and for the people who said it was for PvP reasons... well uhm... ok so you can't tell what kind of weapon they're using... but they ALSO can't tell what kind of weapon you are using! for all they know... you've coloured YOUR phasers green... and don't have disruptors at all! GASP.

I give up. I really don't understand this crowd at all... At least the game is fun... I've really discovered that easiest way to make it more fun is to ignore all team and fleet invites and minimize the chat window... it's a shame... I'm completely ignoring the MMO part of this game. And they worked so hard...

Can you tell I miss my matching pink weapons? They looked great. I really should've called it the USS AbFab and gotten some pink streamers for the rollbar. Christ it was gaudy and christ it wasn't canon... but you know what? It was FUN. It made me smile to think of the big tough klingons being brought down by the power of pink!

But as we all know... Star Trek and the Internet are SERIOUS BUSINESS ONLY!!!!!
Now I'm keen to go back to Earth spacedock and make my ship as un-canon as possible out of spite. And Ugly too! Baby blue and Teal! And I'm going to make my character incredibly grotesque. Maybe if everyone does they'll make EVERYTHING canon... not just some things randomly.

oooo. Don't worry Nerd Rant over. Caravan Palace came on on my playlist... I can't be mad at anything when these guys play... there's just too much awesome all at once.
-------> listening to this! -----------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjomu9K0Xk
Well said Lex. ./salute I like the various colors of the ships exploding when they used powerhue. Easy to figure out who bit it lol.

I'm running around in my WOK uniform and some guy who's wearing a orange version of it complains that I have the wrong pants on roflmao. Go figure.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 PM.