Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukebe
Feb. Only has 28 days
dont be a pain just because you can, we all knew what they meant, correcting it is redundant.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
I believe they are automatically stripped of the ability to chat after 10 spam reports. Also, it was already stated that anyone participating in such transactions would be banned.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=96466
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukebe
Feb. Only has 28 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyAnnoying
I believe they are automatically stripped of the ability to chat after 10 spam reports. Also, it was already stated that anyone participating in such transactions would be banned.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=96466
hey thanks amy I will look at that. Ban of the account or the IP? the IP block is prob the ONLY way to stop it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I have played online games since there were online games and these parasites have always bothered me. After researching the subject some, I have found that those that were bothering me most were in Beijing, China and they abuse the free trial system. You can ban their account, but they just start another undetered with a loss of only time. The first reaction to them is "what are they stupid?" sending out all this spam for virtual gold or credits that have limited value, but they do profit in their modest way.

I imagine a few guys in some little apartment in Beijing. They can go to work at one of the wal-mart cheap crap plants for $2 a day or they can spend their time spamming thousands of people in multiple online games hoping to find that one person who will take the bait and give then $10 for their virtual goods. You can see in this example all they need to do is find a few buyers over the course of the month to make more money then they could at the factory. They are a determined bunch of parasites (the herpes of online gaming I like to say).

I have played for years COH so have some experience with how Cryptic might deal with them. After trying various things for months and years they could not rid the game of them. Ultimately, it appears Cryptic was unwilling to address the "free trial" issue, which IMO is most important to stopping them. I am sure right now all my toons on COH are currently holding 100's of spam emails from my Chinese pen-pals.

The worst part is that I have learned one gets on their mailing list because they camp a toon at places where many people gather, like Earth Space Dock, and they copy the names down of people who zone broadcast. This makes me very hesitant to say anything on broadcast. On Tuesday, I gave in and had a brief conversation on the zonecast and within thirty minutes the emails were coming in. Probably not a coincidence. And once you're on the list brother, you're on it for virtual life.

I just hope that Cryptic can devise a method to deal with these people. It really is a minor nuisance, but one that does reduce the overall gaming experience. However, I reckon they have more pressing matters, so I don't anticipate anything being done in the near future.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-04-2010, 09:42 AM
hmm standard response... banning players. which they deserve.

but yeah they see it at least.. thanks again Amy.