Lt. Commander
# 1 Say No to Microtransactions!
02-04-2010, 06:27 AM
I rather enjoy STO. My spouse and I have been looking forward to this game for a long time. We have been tracking its development for about a year before release. The two of us are long time MMO players and we really enjoy playing STO. We are, however, very worried about the presence of microtransactions in the game.

We have already paid CAD $110 for the game (2 copies) and will be paying CAD $35 a month for subscriptions. We really do not want to pay more for extra content, even if that content is cosmetic. Nor could we actually afford to pay more.

We are happy enough to pay the subscription fees and we had hoped we could play this game for several years. If there are, however, a lot of things that will only be available for Cryptic Points we will be cancelling our subscriptions.

I ask that the rest of the player base boycott all the available microtransactions now and in the future so we can fight the trend to bleed more money from us. Play the game if you enjoy it (or even if you hate it and are a bit of a machoist) but don't pay extra for things that should be included within the game for the price of our subscriptions. Don't even buy something that changes your name or gives you a pet or whatever.

P.S. I'm happy to pay extra for expansions, but only if they are full expansions with all content (new areas/quests/races/items/etc) available to everyone upon release. A small expansion with a single area will not be a purchase we will be making.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 06:31 AM
I have already voted with my wallet. I have cancelled my sub with CO, and I have not bought and will not be subbing for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Sorry bud, I disagree.

And I've already bought both items on offer and am quite pleased. In CO I have all but a few items they've offered. I think a-la-carte options are a nice addition.

If you don't want to avail yourself of the items for whatever reason that is your choice. Please don't tell me what to do, it's none of your business.

This is Cryptics game and they can do as they please. My relationship with Cryptic is my and Cryptic's business. Please don't try involve yourself in that relationship, it's none of your business.

This game is pay to play and that should be obvious to all, what I find curious it how worked up some folks get over a few bucks. If that small amount of cash blows your budget maybe you are in the wrong hobby. If you think this is all a grand conspiricy of some sort I'd recomend collecting tinfoil haberdashery instead of MMOs. I hear tinfoil hats will definately be coming into fashion this spring.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Anything in the C-Store will be totally extra perks people can have if they are willing to pay for them. I don't see any problem with that at all as long as it doesn't give those who do use the store an advantage over others. It's entirely optional to buy things there, so if you don't want to or can't afford it, fine. I can however, and look forward to seeing what else will become available and kind of like that not everyone will have what I have making my playing experience unique.

It's just like people who can afford to pay for more extras to their car. Sure, you can get the stock model and it'll drive just as well and just as fast as every other car, but if I want the A/C, power windows, and sunroof extras, can't I pay extra for those? And if you don't buy them, it doesn't matter. They're extras that don't affect your personal driving experience.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 06:53 AM
microtransactions are pretty much just fluff items anyway. i dont see the problem with them. if it was something gamebreaking or paying a fee to have a new sector block or something then yeah that would be horrid. Some playable races or uniforms or additional aesthetic ship customizations as microtransactions is fine by me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 06:56 AM
yeah its ok i guess but only as long as its used to extra little things, nothing that would give others an advantage. Also they better not put extra missions and zones in there that would be free in any other game..
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 06:58 AM
I vote yes.

Besides this thread is new and interesting and I'm sure Cryptic hasn't read the 100000000th similar ones.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 07:00 AM
I have NO problem with non-gameplay altering microtransactions.

Selling better weapons, etc=bad.

Selling costumes, etc=I don't care.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 07:00 AM
I have no problem with none-gameplay altering microtransactions.

they enhance the game and give more potential for customization, and make things enjoyable, and bring in money for development further.

I will not be 'boycotting' that is a riduculous idea, plus they gave a LOT of people 500 free cryptic points.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2010, 07:02 AM
I want options and micro transactions give them to players. I wonder if they will remove things they put in the C store after sometime.
Closed Thread