Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2010, 07:04 AM
I like options - I say YES!
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Yes the micro transactions in theory bother me, but really so long they are just offering non-game breaking items, new races, new outfits, new bridge looks etc, I don't mind it. Also so long as they are affordable and reasonable. I don't mind paying a dollar for a ferengi.

Most, almost all MMO have micro-transactions of some kind these days. It's because the development cost has risen substantially. The price of the game has stayed the same for years, the sub cost has been the same since EQ1, however the cost of developing a major title has gone through the roof. To me, these micro transactions, if conducted as I have said (i.e. costumes, races, decorations) are a good way to make up for that lost cost without raising the prices of games/sub fees.

As long as it's not a gameplay advantage I'm up for it, if they ever offer a new sweet ship, or totally epic phasers for sales, I'm out.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-04-2010, 07:06 AM
as long as the MT's are fluff items and not mandatory to be viable at end-game or progress I fail to see a problem with them.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsbladeuk
I have already voted with my wallet. I have cancelled my sub with CO, and I have not bought and will not be subbing for STO.
and yet he still posts.....
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-04-2010, 07:08 AM
As long as they aren't selling levels or anything that gives players an unfair advantage, I don't care about micro-transactions. If they're selling something I want, I'll buy it, if they aren't, I won't.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Microtransactions are all good as long as is not game breacking. Is up to every individual if they want or not buying anything from the c-store.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liden
I want options and micro transactions give them to players. I wonder if they will remove things they put in the C store after sometime.
Why can't those options be already available in the game's subscription price?

I'm all for options. I'm against paying extra money on top of a monthly subscription for those options. I'd happily pay for those options if it was a FTP game where everything was extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmeat
If you don't want to avail yourself of the items for whatever reason that is your choice. Please don't tell me what to do, it's none of your business. This is Cryptics game and they can do as they please. My relationship with Cryptic is my and Cryptic's business. Please don't try involve yourself in that relationship, it's none of your business. This game is pay to play and that should be obvious to all, what I find curious it how worked up some folks get over a few bucks. If that small amount of cash blows your budget maybe you are in the wrong hobby. If you think this is all a grand conspiricy of some sort I'd recomend collecting tinfoil haberdashery instead of MMOs. I hear tinfoil hats will definately be coming into fashion this spring.
I'm really not interested in your business, despite what you might believe. I'm disturbed and not a little revolted at the idea of "involving myself in that relationship". Just as I have no interest involving myself in your "relationship" you really ought to not make assumptions of my financial status over paying the small amounts of cash.

It is Cryptic's game but if enough people protest you won't have to pay that "small amount of cash". Why are we being offered extra races for a price? Sure, some people got free Cryptic points, but not everyone and the free points hardly erase the fact that you need to spend something extra to get the Klingon and Ferengi races. On top of that, once you spend those free points on those other races you're still out getting the next extra races.

What happens if STO decides to release Cardassians and Romulans in the Cryptic Store? Or the abiltiy to respec your skills? Sure, those are "cosmetic" in theory but in practice, they are gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Not an issue for me or should it be for anyone else.

You don't like it, don't use it.

I don't see why people are crying over this, its nothing new.

EVE has it now, WoW has it in the form of that stupid in game item, card game just like SWG does now.

I understand the concept could confuse and upset new people to the MMOG world but its something that wont be going away any time soon.

Also speculation of what the store will contain is a pointless exercise, As only CP knows at this point.

Chillax and enjoy the game
Lt. Commander
# 19
I will pick up microtransactions that interest me.

At this exact moment, the options there do not interest me. This may change. Then I will weigh the benefits against the costs. The benefits will be defined as "do I think picking up this option would be fun? Would I use the ability to wear such and such uniform or use a this-or-that ship skin if I pick it up? Do I have an interest in playing this particular alien species?" If the answer is yes, if I feel it is worth the cost, then I'll make the purchase. I have done so for the boosters in City of Heroes because I found a use for the costume parts, and the emotes, and the cute-but-hardly-overpowering powers given out in them.

If the C-store continues to go along the lines of Champs Online for the kind of things to expect for STO, I have no problems. I fully expect to see the preorder bonuses hit the C-store in about a year, and the Borg Captains hit in about a year and a half; some of these I would have an interest in picking up; some I would not; some I already have. The price determines the action.

Purchase or do not purchase-the choice belongs to you. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and telling you "Buy or Die!" As long as the game itself does not suffer for it, I have no issues.

Examples of MT's done right: City of Heroes.
Examples of MT's done wrong: Star Wars Galaxies (ask any player about the card game loot)
Lt. Commander
# 20
I have no problem with micro transaction because nothing in there is essential for my game play. It has ZERO effect on my character so why do i care? i happily ignore it and enjoy my game. No one is forcing you to use C-STORE.
Closed Thread