Lt. Commander
# 21
02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
It seems a lot fo people are missing the bigger picture here with regards to conditioning.

In short the industry wants to get people used to the idea of MT in sub based game so that the notion of them becomes synonymous with purchasing expectations. Then (if not already) start to move the bar further and further along with regards to what is acceptable (time is our enemy here) ultimately to a point where people are paying for practically everything beyond a basic skeleton system, which they are endlessly paying for in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-04-2010, 08:15 AM
nice options will get me to spend
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavillion View Post
Why can't those options be already available in the game's subscription price?

I'm all for options. I'm against paying extra money on top of a monthly subscription for those options. I'd happily pay for those options if it was a FTP game where everything was extra.
It's marketing, it's like saying I bought a meal at a restaurant and I expect not to pay for drinks, appetizers etc. You expect them to give you everything because you paid for the meal? I feel like I got alot of extras with this game and am satisfied.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I like them and hope to see more. I'd love to see a T3 Excelsior skin become available. There's things I expect for free as part of my 50 cents a day charge and there's things that go beyond the basic scope of the game. I have no problem paying for those things if I find them interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Spartan View Post
It seems a lot fo people are missing the bigger picture here with regards to conditioning. In short the industry wants to get people used to the idea of MT in sub based game so that the notion of them becomes synonymous with purchasing expectations. Then (if not already) start to move the bar further and further along with regards to what is acceptable and ultimately to a point where people are paying for practically everything beyond an ultra skeleton of a basic system, which they are endlessly paying for in the first place.
In a subscription based game, the ****storm that MT's for needed items would cause would cripple the game. I'm amazingly uncaring about most things in life, but I'd quit a game that did that.
Lt. Commander
# 26
Quote:
What happens if STO decides to release Cardassians and Romulans in the Cryptic Store? Or the abiltiy to respec your skills? Sure, those are "cosmetic" in theory but in practice, they are gameplay.
As long as there is an in game way of obtaining a respec I have no issue. For respec's they have already claimed this would be the case.

If they release their expansions via the c-store and do not relase expansion boxes as well I am ok with Cardassians and Romulans too. Obviously if they have mini-expansions and then release a box expansion that is not cool.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
It seems a lot fo people are missing the bigger picture here with regards to conditioning. In short the industry wants to get people used to the idea of MT in sub based game so that the notion of them becomes synonymous with purchasing expectations. Then (if not already) start to move the bar further and further along with regards to what is acceptable and ultimately to a point where people are paying for practically everything beyond an ultra skeleton of a basic system, which they are endlessly paying for in the first place.
That's a logical fallacy, and also a pretty big assumption about the stupidity of gamers. I know that I would never fall for such a thing, and I doubt most other people would either.
Lt. Commander
# 28
Quote:
I rather enjoy STO. My spouse and I have been looking forward to this game for a long time. We have been tracking its development for about a year before release. The two of us are long time MMO players and we really enjoy playing STO. We are, however, very worried about the presence of microtransactions in the game.

We have already paid CAD $110 for the game (2 copies) and will be paying CAD $35 a month for subscriptions. We really do not want to pay more for extra content, even if that content is cosmetic. Nor could we actually afford to pay more.

We are happy enough to pay the subscription fees and we had hoped we could play this game for several years. If there are, however, a lot of things that will only be available for Cryptic Points we will be cancelling our subscriptions.

I ask that the rest of the player base boycott all the available microtransactions now and in the future so we can fight the trend to bleed more money from us. Play the game if you enjoy it (or even if you hate it and are a bit of a machoist) but don't pay extra for things that should be included within the game for the price of our subscriptions. Don't even buy something that changes your name or gives you a pet or whatever.

P.S. I'm happy to pay extra for expansions, but only if they are full expansions with all content (new areas/quests/races/items/etc) available to everyone upon release. A small expansion with a single area will not be a purchase we will be making.
No. There will be no support for boycotting. The C store is a great idea. Some people do not mind paying extra for things they may want. If nothing else I think more and more mmo's are going with micro transactions because it's all supply and demand. The thing about the c store is the fact that it's a choice.You can always choose not to buy anything.
Lt. Commander
# 29
Quote:
It seems a lot fo people are missing the bigger picture here with regards to conditioning.

In short the industry wants to get people used to the idea of MT in sub based game so that the notion of them becomes synonymous with purchasing expectations. Then (if not already) start to move the bar further and further along with regards to what is acceptable (time is our enemy here) ultimately to a point where people are paying for practically everything beyond a basic skeleton system, which they are endlessly paying for in the first place.
This is exactly what I am talking about. And this is happening very fast. 2-3 years ago the level of microtransaction we have today would have horrified most MMO players. Today it's considered normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liden
It's marketing, it's like saying I bought a meal at a restaurant and I expect not to pay for drinks, appetizers etc. You expect them to give you everything because you paid for the meal? I feel like I got alot of extras with this game and am satisfied.
No, that's not it. It's like ordering a bacon double cheeseburger and then being told it's extra money for the bacon and the cheese.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
No, that's not it. It's like ordering a bacon double cheeseburger and then being told it's extra money for the bacon and the cheese.
Do you view the glass half empty or half full? It's how you look at it. I don't expect things for free in this world.

You're paying for that bacon no matter what.
Closed Thread