Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vd0515 View Post
Thanks all. With that in mind I've been doing a lot of thinking about how to pimp out my tier 3 cruiser I just picked up last night:

FORWARD WEAPONS
1x Dual Phaser Array
1x Qantum Torp Launcher
1x Single Beam Array

REAR WEAPONS
2x Single Beam Arrays
1x Turret

The idea being I have very strong frontal attack with the turret also contributing while also having 4 weapons (including the turret) for broadsides attacks. What do you guys think?
Not having a rear torpedo tube will hurt you more than the turret can ever contribute.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2010, 08:19 AM
In my cruiser I find the rear torpedo much more useful than the front. It can be hard to turn a cruiser INTO an enemy but it isnt nearly as hard to turn AWAY from them. (due to the way enemies tend to fly/circle)
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
In my cruiser I find the rear torpedo much more useful than the front. It can be hard to turn a cruiser INTO an enemy but it isnt nearly as hard to turn AWAY from them. (due to the way enemies tend to fly/circle)
I have to agree with the rear slotted torpedo. At lower levels, the turret was nice for more dps output; but in the slower cruiser, you'll find that the faster moving enemies are on your six pretty often...nothing better than launching some HYT goodness into their maw as they try to get on your tail...very useful with the Hirogen ships that seem (IMHO) to always try and stick on your rear.

I still had a torpedo in a front slot as well, but each to their preference.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-04-2010, 09:09 AM
For Cruiser PvE, generally, you don't need the rear torp. It's occasionally useful, but for the most part you can handle anything that sits in your aft with proper use of evasive maneuvers and attack pattern alpha x (in the case that you're tac). Cruiser PvE is almost all about maximizing broadside damage, since you'll usually run enough EPS consoles that you can afford to full impulse directly into 10km range with the enemy and be at full power in just a couple of seconds.

If you can come up with enough good EPS consoles, you can run 6beam on a T3 Cruiser and be extremely dangerous in the broadside. I wouldn't try this in PvP, but it's fun as hell in PvE. In PvP I usually put a torp tube both fore and aft and fill out with beams. 4x beam broadside + omni torp presence is a very balanced combination.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-04-2010, 09:15 AM
What is a good source of those EPS consoles? I've gotten none as drops so far. Exchange I guess? I did not see anything under consoles are they hiding in another category?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorak View Post
Right click on the weapon in your equipment or inventory screen, select 'info' from the list. Scroll to the bottom of the information screen that comes up, and you will be told which attributes modify that weapon, such as Cannon Skills, or Phaser Skills.

You're welcome, jackass.
hahaha, nice.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback all. How is energy consumption for turrets vs. beams?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vd0515 View Post
Thanks all. With that in mind I've been doing a lot of thinking about how to pimp out my tier 3 cruiser I just picked up last night:

FORWARD WEAPONS
1x Dual Phaser Array
1x Qantum Torp Launcher
1x Single Beam Array

REAR WEAPONS
2x Single Beam Arrays
1x Turret

The idea being I have very strong frontal attack with the turret also contributing while also having 4 weapons (including the turret) for broadsides attacks. What do you guys think?
Hey, use whatever you enjoy. I would recommend you think about spreading your offensive power a little more to the rear (with a torp launcher) as it becomes increasingly difficult to get enemies to cooperate with being in front of you from here on up.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longasc
Not having a rear torpedo tube will hurt you more than the turret can ever contribute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
In my cruiser I find the rear torpedo much more useful than the front.
/agree

I switched out my turret for torpedoes and instantly saw improvement. Turrets can be fun, but Cruisers are slowish and there always seems to be something riding on their tail. Let them eat quantum.