Lt. Commander
# 1 Patching priorities...
02-04-2010, 07:33 AM
I've noticed that the ability for players to change their weapons fire color was quickly and publicly acknowledged as being a "bug" and was immediately patched to be removed from the game. Okay... cool... we're not really supposed to be able to do that but it didn't really affect game play.

Now there are still show-stopping bugs in game that have been known since well into Beta that we're still waiting on fixes for, missions like Breaking the Planet that are just impossible to complete. It would be nice to see a similar level of addressing issues to show stopping bugs as has been made towards cosmetic tweaks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 07:37 AM
You are presuming removing the ability to change weapon color is as hard as fixing a mission bug. You are presuming they are even worked on by the same devs.

"The devs" aren't one guy who can only do one thing at a time. It is a group with specialities* which can't be arbitrarily set to work on any particular issue.

* Art, UI, Engine, Balance, Mission design, PVP, Networking etc
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 07:38 AM
You need to try and understand that something that takes five minutes to remove (a single slash command and a quick database query to reset all custom colours) can not be compared with repairing a broken system.

Some things just require less work and/or different developers. For instance, the UI guys probably dealt with the /powerhue command whereas the coding team are needed to fix the mission itself.

Different people, different skillsets.

No doubt the issue you raise is higher priority than some of the fixes but prioirty will go by developer resource requirements. The UI guys can't be working on a buggy mission because its nothing they can help with.

Also, some of the changes may have been in the pipeline for a while (and used to be high prioirty themselves).

Just submit your /bug report - the more they hear about any issue, the higher they will prioritise but understand that other things that may seem trivial to you might get fixed first. They're not ignoring the issue, just having devs work on what they can, when they can!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Deaux
I've noticed that the ability for players to change their weapons fire color was quickly and publicly acknowledged as being a "bug" and was immediately patched to be removed from the game. Okay... cool... we're not really supposed to be able to do that but it didn't really affect game play.

Now there are still show-stopping bugs in game that have been known since well into Beta that we're still waiting on fixes for, missions like Breaking the Planet that are just impossible to complete. It would be nice to see a similar level of addressing issues to show stopping bugs as has been made towards cosmetic tweaks.
To tell you the truth, it probably only took a person 5 seconds to fix this... open the file, delete a line, save.
It's more productive to squash the easily fixed bugs first than wasting 2 days on a bug leaving 100 other minor bugs still out.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Deaux

Actually considering this is only the 3rd day of going live and we are already in its 4th patch since OB. Cryptic wasnt being lazy or slow at all.

Please be patient.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Heh, the irony... I'm usually the one screaming patience. But yes, I"m sure it was a 5 minute code re-write and no big deal. Still, there's some big show-stoppers that have been out for weeks/months that if not fixed soon, I may be ranked too high to even do the mission and I want my content. :p

Regardless, I'm exercising my patron right to complain.