Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Gold Spam
02-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Can we PLEASE get a filter of some kind for the mail system? I woke up this morning (after 7 hours of sleep) to find FIVE Messages from STO gold in my mail box. Two messages at 08:19, two more at 02:28 and yet another one at 21:59.

My mail box was empty when I went to bed

I'll enter the game and report these now, but you guys have a simple e-mail setup going on...

A filter of some kind would not only make sense, it would be very helpful.

Auto ignoring a spammer just isn't cutting it since they run off and make a new account.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 07:45 AM
We have things in the works to curtail this.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
They're on top of that and finding K7 lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

Thanks,

Stormshade
GOODNESS gracious that was fast. Thanks for the quick reply Stormshade, it is %100 appreciated
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't put it past the gold spammers to start offering k7 to folks for a price, they seem to sell everything else
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 07:52 AM
The thing I don't understand about the gold spam is this: Are people finding it hard to farm their own money? I haven't done anything I'd consider farming or grinding yet and I don't even see anything I'd want to spend all my resources on.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfimage View Post
They're on top of that and finding K7 lol
It goes hand in hand because the gold farmers STOLE K7 in order to sell it to the Ferengi!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Not me, I usually have enough to buy all three tier 2 ships by the time I hit Lt.C 16. That doesn't stop them though, they go where the money is, and Star Trek has been showing some good potential lately...

...I guess you could turn this around and call it the ultimate compliment.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 07:59 AM
I think this should be the inspiration for a joke mission... we should get a quest to go and chase off 'Unauthorised energy crystal farmers'. When we get there, the farmers should aggressively hail us in broken english, attempting to sell us the stolen crystals, and then attack us with the full range of debuffs. During the battle, our science bridge officer should regularly report attempts to infiltrate the ship's computer systems.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
As a MMO veteran, I respect you not giving details as to *what* you are doing behind the scenes as that would just tend to give the sellers insight into your plans and ultimately help them continue to work around systems you've put in place.

That said, I am a bit surprised Cryptic isn't a bit more prepared for things like this as it isn't like gold sellers are something that started plaguing MMO's just recently! From what I have seen, the sellers' tactics are very rudimentary at the moment with just sitting in common zones while spamming in zone chat, then sending out identical messages via mail with a subject of "Stogold".

I am not asking for Cryptic to describe what its plans are as again -- I respect the need to be somewhat secretive so the "bad guys" don't have a roadmap to what you're doing. I do, however, hope you are planning far more than just a simple filter on the word "Stogold", for example as they will just start using "S T O gold".

This kind of activity is an arms race and I hope that Cryptic takes it seriously enough to implement functionality that at least keeps their nonsense out of sight of the average player. I don't think there is any way to prevent 100% of the spam without restricting players in annoying ways, but Cryptic can do (and should have already done) better than what appears to have been done to date.