Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2010, 08:41 AM
On the other hand, cryptic isn't used to garnering this much attention from one of their titles...

/shrug

I'm sure they'll do as they said and get it fixed ASAP. With every patch to the game my faith in Cryptic grows. Despite being swamped they continue to move things along and a fairly decent pace.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstorm View Post
I am not asking for Cryptic to describe what its plans are as again -- I respect the need to be somewhat secretive so the "bad guys" don't have a roadmap to what you're doing. I do, however, hope you are planning far more than just a simple filter on the word "Stogold", for example as they will just start using "S T O gold".
So true. FFXI players know how bad it is. They stated putting a word filter on gold seller ads, and they would update the filter the more creative they got. It eventually got to the point where for a gold seller (Let's call it cheapgold.net for example) would spam people with tells like \

"Low price gil 24USD = 1mil fsuir f=ch r=(dot)net s=ea + p i=ld u=go"

Some of them used cryptogram puzzles, and a lot were far more complex than my example... we always joked that you'd have to be pretty crazy to spend several minutes deciphering a gold seller ad. The point is, filters won't stop the spam as long as they have an easy way to make new trial accounts to spam with. Could always do what wow did and make it so trial accounts pretty much can't communicate with anyone, but even that didn't stop the spam...