Lt. Commander
# 1 Energy Management
02-04-2010, 08:20 AM
What if any benefit does a person get in a tier two ship running their weapons at max? Do the weapons do more damage or does it just fire more?

At tier two ships (cruisers) I use like 10 points of energy per shot, with only two phaser arrays, this leaves a lot of energy left over. Would this energy be better spent in the shield or AUX power areas?

Just trying to figure it out!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Bump - (lasted all of 30 seconds on page one)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 08:37 AM
You failed to bring up colored beams, non-canon names or even a I hate tribbles speach. I don't think you'll last long on these forums.
Also your post contained no whining ,no flaming ,and no FU cryptic phrases, and therefore cannot be answered.

J/K

Yes higher power causes more damage on average. Move the slider in a fight to min and then max and watch the difference in averages.
I tend to switch between full shield and full weapons, I hardly ever touch or worry about engines or aux, although my buddy swears by it so to each his own..
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The velour fog
You failed to bring up colored beams, non-canon names or even a I hate tribbles speach. I don't think you'll last long on these forums.
Also your post contained no whining ,no flaming ,and no FU cryptic phrases, and therefore cannot be answered.

J/K

Yes higher power causes more damage on average. Move the slider in a fight to min and then max and watch the difference in averages.
I tend to switch between full shield and full weapons, I hardly ever touch or worry about engines or aux, although my buddy swears by it so to each his own..
thank you for your response, and I don't care about Colored Beams or tribbles or non cannon names, my beams are fine, tribbles I delete and I don't pay any attention to non cannon names
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckarama View Post
thank you for your response, and I don't care about Colored Beams or tribbles or non cannon names, my beams are fine, tribbles I delete and I don't pay any attention to non cannon names
On a side note at higher tiers, with a full compliment of beam arrays you'll notice a lot more drain on that slider during firing as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The velour fog
Depends on what abilities you're using. I swear by Aux but that's because I'm science and several of my better abilities actually do tons more dmg with a maxed out Aux. Tachyon Beam I at about 40 aux (and some skill points in to deflector abilities) will do about 35-40 shield dmg a tic for about 5 tics. At maxed Aux (100-110) it can do 90-100 a tic. Tachyon beam II at max Aux for me at LtC4 is doing about 150 a tic with a few skill points invested.

If you hover over your abilities and then play with your energy levels, you can actually see the change in the tooltip. With weapons, you can watch your DPS rise when you raise your weapon energy levels from your inventory tooltip when you hover over the affected weapons.

Something else that seems to work well is to learn the readjustment time when you switch your energy levels. If I start at full Aux, I'll switch over to full weapons and then immediately start using my Aux abilities. If you're fast, they'll shoot at the higher Aux levels before they're drained in to your weapons. By the time they're finished, I'm at full Weapons to start unloading on the enemy who now has no shields.

Not that anyone was asking for this info, I'm just at work and bored
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 08:59 AM
I was trying to make my own preset energy levels - but was unsuccessful. Has anyone found a way to do this?

Also with the energy in my shields do they regenerate faster? Like in between fights?

And I like the information! Keeps me up on ships I'm not using!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I use 4 beams and negatie the loss of power using a EPS Flow Regulator IV, 1.5+ energy and keeps the energy up charged back up there. For the most case you always lose 20 points then instantly gain them back using the EPS Flow Regulator before another fire occurs. (5 energy points per beam)

Basically standard is 2 beams only before losing power, and this engineering module helps that. (Works great if you are an engineer) For the most case my guess is 0.5 ETS Flow energy = one more beam, so a 1.5 probably comes up to 3 beams 'extra'.. My guess.

You can pick up EPS Flow Regulators II I believe that do 0.75+, which I found to be useful for 3 beams and 1 torpedo bay. I just found using 4 beams is more affective when your in a cruiser against very fast moving targets, and with large ships its almost at par.

4 beams for me, you think about the time to turn, and the loss of the two back beams while firing the torpedo, and then realigning to get back to the back firing again, it takes its delay in a cruiser, no matter how fast you are. Sitting with 108 weapons for the most case and having 4 beams is pretty great damage.

Edit for preset energy, click the 5th button on the energy area (where power is distrubed when you change from attack to defense etc) another little window will pop up, pick '3'. then you can adjust freely.

And I believe Shields do not regenerate faster, only Hull in between combat.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Click on the 3rd option for the energy levels and you'll get adjustable sliders that allow you to set the energy levels as you like - if you want say Weapons to be 75% then drag it there and click the 'lock' icon.

Tinker with the other levels until you're happy then lock them - next, pick the preset you want to replace and hit the save icon - it'll overwrite that preset. Now you can unlock 'em all and whenever you pick that preset it'll use your custom settings (even in the other energy level display modes).

You can of course reset the preset back to its defaults if you choose to.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckarama View Post
I was trying to make my own preset energy levels - but was unsuccessful. Has anyone found a way to do this?

Also with the energy in my shields do they regenerate faster? Like in between fights?

And I like the information! Keeps me up on ships I'm not using!

Yes above the four sliders there are three icons as i recall, one looks like a floppy disk, that will save your current preset to what ever set you have picked currently. Oh yeah click on the little number 3 first, there are three different layouts.

pick your set type.

move your sliders where you want.

then click the floppy icon to save that preset.

then pick your next set type and repeat.

AegisPrime beat me to it.........................................