Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
I don't usually get bugged by the 2d/3d axis travel, but last night a group I was in got stuck far under a group of enemies and it was painful to fly up to them.
Yes, I run into that ALL the time. If not full 3D movement, give us a free "power" that brings us to the proper position. A barrel roll dive, loop de loop, something. Please, the corkscrew thing is tedious and isn't that affective.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdog1227
Ships should by all means by able to rotate 360 degrees along x,y, and z axis. Your in a spaceship not an airplane. Also there was a comment about needing two more shield axis, this is not the case at all. Via wide arc weapons with 180 firing ranges and above, your ship can currently be hit from directly above or below. Basically which ever side the weapon is closes to is the shield it hits.. imagine an orange cut into 4 slices.

Spiraling up or down toward an enemy is silly. However, its not a huge issue until you consider weapons with smaller range arcs, disruptor canons for instance (45). I should be able to point my ship at my enemy regardless of it relative position to me. It actually becomes a bit balance issue...
you are also correct. look i like this game a lot i plan to play for some time or as long as it is still up and running. my ONLY problem is the non-360 rotation space flight. getting stuck in space makes no sense, having to do "spirals" up and down really does not make sense. if a wookie lives on endor you must aquit.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
For the umpteenth time, this isn't a space simulator.

Now that aside, I've played CO closed and open beta. And let me tell you. If you were in Lamuria, you'll distaste a 360 rotation in any direction.

Let me explain, in Lamuria, you were inside a water world, you were swimming. There was no straight line following, it was up down sidways left right.

You could go 360 in any direction. Man, that was a frakking chore. I was getting lost all time because either my 3D perception sucks balls or the execution of the ture 3D failed on Cryptic part, I don't know.

The other half time, I was trying to find who's shooting from where, one was shooting from directly under me, the other was half a mile behind me and the 3rd was hitting me about 80 downwards in front of me.

Under no circumstance do I want to experience something like that in STO, ever!
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ

Now that aside, I've played CO closed and open beta. And let me tell you. If you were in Lamuria, you'll distaste a 360 rotation in any direction.

Let me explain, in Lamuria, you were inside a water world, you were swimming. There was no straight line following, it was up down sidways left right.

You could go 360 in any direction. Man, that was a frakking chore. I was getting lost all time because either my 3D perception sucks balls or the execution of the ture 3D failed on Cryptic part, I don't know.

The other half time, I was looking who's shooting from where, one was shooting from directly under me, the other was half a mile behind me and the 3rd was hitting me about 80 downwards in front of me.

The only fix then is to stop enemy groups from forming far from each other on the Z axis.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-04-2010, 09:46 AM
not to mention... in space up and down are kinda irrelevant.

My guess, this is something that is inherited by re-using the champions engine.. sorta like the beam colors settings and the whack sector space travel. I mean, I get it. Who wants to re-invent the wheel... but come on, a little more effort into some star trek customizations would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-04-2010, 09:51 AM
The Microsoft answer:

We don't use that feature, so we feel that nobody would want that feature. Therefore, we did not make it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:

The other half time, I was trying to find who's shooting from where, one was shooting from directly under me, the other was half a mile behind me and the 3rd was hitting me about 80 downwards in front of me.

i have said this on other forum post. make it a option for have orientation like a button to get "up and down" that it has now. so you dont get lost or confused or want to face the same direction as your team mates or a star base. it just the fact of getting stuck in angles that one should have to be dealing with. also water has a up and down. we are talking a space. if you flying and shooting and spending most of your time in space, then is a space sim. not a full sim mind be it like there are no explosions in space i will not get in to the true physic of space there is no need for this game. but better flight angles is nice
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I can live with the '2D version' of space chess after playing with it for a few weeks (though would have expected hex rather than a box) and at this point it would be a huge change to game design.

However, I would REALLY like an increase in the angle of accent/decent in order to close on targes without having to leave the battle - remember that IS how Kirk ambushed Khan!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:

Good point, I here ya, that is annoying.. it happens in STO currently though. PVE and PVP. Sometimes you see a quest objective on your map, go there, and then your like im here, wtf. Then you finally realize oh, its 25km below me. So maybe it helps a little bit with the problem of getting lost with the extra dimension.. but fails to solve it.

You simply need to go in all directions with a corresponding 3d area map (found in many games). Oh, and get rid of sector space all together, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdog1227
Good point, I here ya, that is annoying.. it happens in STO currently though. PVE and PVP. Sometimes you see a quest objective on your map, go there, and then your like im here, wtf. Then you finally realize oh, its 25km below me. So maybe it helps a little bit with the problem of getting lost with the extra dimension.. but fails to solve it.

You simply need to go in all directions with a corresponding 3d area map (found in many games). Oh, and get rid of sector space all together, lol.
i like the sector space, i mean sure it needs a improvment on warp space look but it does well for being a travel time sink like other mmos