Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashie
Wow are we lacking points at admiral rank.

We have 8000 points, and 1 ability to 9 is 4500 ;( Thats 9 in a ship with 5 points left over for every tree.

We need enough skill points to choose at least 4 skills at least to 7. That admiral points should be 14k or more.
Actually what is more likely is you crippled your character by bypassing content.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
With the current cap in place (level 45) aren't we only getting halfway through Admiral anyway?

In other words, if they raise it again and cap it at the original level 50, Admiral will end up with double the points?

I know, that won't make people happy who don't like the cap at all...and perhaps they will revise the system or drop the cap totally once they allow combat level 50.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-04-2010, 01:37 PM
If you want to use skill points efficiently, you probably shouldn't be hitting 9 in anything anyway unless you want to train something to III.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk_Mike
This. That is one of the reasons why we had a huge 500+ page discussion thread about this in open beta.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=88327

This post has been going since Head Start release and when they archived the OB forums.

Screenshots, feedback, and contributions to this thread are appreciated from new voices, as it's just making us regular defenders starting to look as bad as those powerhue bumpers.

Thanks for your understanding.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibaken
From what I gathered in their explanation, they added a cap at 60,700 skill points at max level so that new players wouldn't be completely outclassed as soon as they hit max level when playing with someone who has already maxxed everything.
What you fail to realize is that not all skills stack, the only things that would be more powered are eng boff skills, and science boff skills, that is it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Actually what is more likely is you crippled your character by bypassing content.
Um, no. SP cap is SP cap. Can't get more than 60,700, no matter what you do. Level is determined by earned SP.

The SP cap and level progression in general is absurd at this point. Most games have a levelling cost increase curve that approaches geometric, STO's isn't even arithmetric. It flattens out.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
HUH?

Listen up bads.

in order to get admiral, you have to spend 52800 points. Then, and only then admiral unlocks. At that point, you have 8000 points till cap (at 500 per point). Understand? We only get 8000 points to spend, theres no way around it. Try a character builder and understand the issue before posting nonsense on the forums.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2010, 04:12 PM
It was said again and again during Beta when this cap was forwarded that it would cause this kind of problem. Even those that DO support the cap agree that the cap limit is far too low.

I have said countless times myself that the current skill progression system basically makes Phasers / Disrupters the natural weapon to use due to how easy it is to max those things.

Your not going to see people maxing Anti-Proton or Poloron weapons and with all weapons being exactly the same except for the special bonus. A maxed out phaser skill serves you from start to finish while the later weapons require you to waste valuable points for little more than puny bonuses.

Personnally, I would prefer to train Poloron weapons myself however, even today I was getting Poloron weapons and my maxed phasers were significantly ahead of them in damage.
The torpedoe / projectiles are essentially the same except the later versions are REALLY bad.

Transphasic cost you a significant amount to skill for and they come with slower firing rate, reduced damage and significantly slower travel time. The bleed through effect just simply isnt worth it.

As it is, I planned my character from start to finish and even then I made a few mistakes which I'm shafted for until a respec comes. Why did I make those mistakes ?
Because I end up being FORCED to spend points into things that I dont want inorder to get the rank for the things I DO want. In a limited cap system, the forced spending system is simply retarded.
No matter what you do, your going to end up having to waste points into lower tier weapons or stuff you dont want if you ever want to get to things like Tetryons etc.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashie
The problem is admiral itself. 1 Fix would be to change the skill points from 500 spent per adjusted down to 250, as an example. Captain is pretty tight, but admiral is ridiculous.
Yeah, the problem is just the admiral levels themselves.

Lowering the cost wouldn't be the right solution though. At some point, they may want to raise the level cap and that could cause all sorts of problems.

What I believe they should do is increase the SP required per RA grade by 70%. 3400 instead of 2000. Over the four levels we get, that would make for 13600 SP, enough for 27 skill levels, letting us max out 3 or else distribute them over more.

When/if they do raise the cap, to 50, it'll add on another 17,000 SP, allowing another 3 skills to be maxed, as well as 5 into another one. And when the cap goes over 50, we'll have enough SP in the admiral range to max 7 out of the 19 skills.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
I have said countless times myself that the current skill progression system basically makes Phasers / Disrupters the natural weapon to use due to how easy it is to max those things.
Well, personally, I'd expect Disruptors to be the weapon of choice anyway. Best proc. Seriously, compare Tetryon to Disruptor. 10% bonus to everything for 15s. Or 10% for one shot to shields only, shields that will be down in the blink of an eye most of the time?

But both the Commander and Captain ones are viable, as far as gaining skill levels go. You've got the points, you'll probably be trying to figure out where to spend extra ones after you have what you want covered.

Quote:
Your not going to see people maxing Anti-Proton or Poloron weapons and with all weapons being exactly the same except for the special bonus. A maxed out phaser skill serves you from start to finish while the later weapons require you to waste valuable points for little more than puny bonuses.
Yup, If you go Polaron, you are not going to do as much damage. It is an energy weapon. Therefore, it benefits from Starship Weapon Systems Performance. You cannot max both that and the skill. So you will do less damage. And, of course, you aren't getting a tougher hull, better turn rate and such from your captain skill.

Mind you, I spent 5 points on it anyway. The pretty pink lights just go so well with my purple and pink Star Cruise Liner. But from a power standpoint, Disruptor is where to go.