Lt. Commander
# 31
02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinius View Post
I am all for skill cap and being more specialized. having the ability to do everything and everyone is the same injects a "meh" factor for me in the game. In another MMO it is getting to the point where it does not matter if I was a mage or a shaman or a fighter. It is getting to the point where it does not matter what I pick if I want to DPS, tank, or heal.

As far as the admiral skill points now, I say fine we will be able to increase them later.

Why do people always want to turn things up to 11?

This is a game and what difference does it make if we all play by the same rules.
Because the way the game was designed, space specialization was primarily a factor of ship type and BO selection. Ground was more traditionally class-based but available powers were still determined by kit. In this game, the overwhelming majority of your character's abilities proceed directly from equipment rather than just being bonused by equipment. Some theoretical character who has every skill box maxed has no more power than another character who has a single ship configuration maxed.

Sameness through equal ability to switch around and experiment with configurations is a much more diverse sort of sameness than that which arises from the discovery of and narrow focus on optimal builds under limited skill point allocation.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
To the top!
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
With skill cap we have no Ground/Space build. We have no ship choice (we are tied to one), we have no weapon choice (we are tied to one). Etc. as it is now is mayor flaw in this game.

I'm going to play my 1st love Earth & Beyond until this will be sorted out.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
This needs to be fixed, people are forced not to spend any points on their T3/T4 Ship - so that they have enough points to spend on required skills and the T5 ship class. What makes it even worse is that you have to decide if you want to gimp your space abilities to pick up a few ground abilities.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.O.
With skill cap we have no Ground/Space build. We have no ship choice (we are tied to one), we have no weapon choice (we are tied to one). Etc. as it is now is mayor flaw in this game.

I'm going to play my 1st love Earth & Beyond until this will be sorted out.
100% agree.

When your abilities are 95% gear based a skill cap is pointless.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-11-2010, 01:27 PM
NUTS to the Cap
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.O.
Without a cap, you have no ship choice either, as you can just do them all. No weapon choice, again, can do them all. And so on. A cap is a good thing. A few more points to spend, well, that'd be good too. Really, ground and space should have been given their own SP totals, but too late to fix that now.

Not that I'd agree that you are tied to one weapon choice now. I've definitely got more than one on my cruiser build. Science ships are a bit strapped for points, but the rest have a bit of freedom.

Anyway, the T3 and T4 captain skills are a little bit of a pain. But in some ways, that's a good thing, without that, if you are feeling point strapped now, you'll feel even more so then. Luckily, the captain skills don't really do that much. So this can pretty much be ignored.

And then there is the lack of admiral level skill points. That one is a biggie. Makes the admiral level points way too limited and, even when they raise the cap to 50+, you'll still feel very strapped. This is one the devs do need to fix. My proposed solution for it is in my signature.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
Without a cap, you have no ship choice either, as you can just do them all. No weapon choice, again, can do them all. And so on. A cap is a good thing.
I disagree. Any captain with maxed skills still has to choose which ship to fly at any given point in time. He/She can't fly all of them at once. They still have to choose weapon loadouts and Boff loadouts, so they can't have them all at the same time.

Go back to the Wow reference you made earlier: in that form of skill differentiation, every level 80 resto shaman has roughly the same abilities (give or take a few oddball specs). What if, instead, every level 80 resto shaman had about the same +spellpower, but instead had to choose between having Riptide or Lesser Healing Wave or Chain Heal. Suddenly, characters would differ not based on how powerful their abilities are, but on which abilities they have prepared. And just because you can switch out your abilities between pvp matches does not mean that inside any given pvp match, you're any less limited by your own choice of loadout.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
Without a cap, you have no ship choice either, as you can just do them all. No weapon choice, again, can do them all. And so on. A cap is a good thing. A few more points to spend, well, that'd be good too. Really, ground and space should have been given their own SP totals, but too late to fix that now.
I prefer the lack of choice that has more choice in it :p
Lt. Commander
# 40 fear for the future
02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
the lvl cap is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back for allot of the people who were holding on to this game by a thread I fear for the future of this game when all the free 30 day trial period ends and no one pays to play ne more...I donít want to lose this game the way the matrix online went out but if cryptic doesnít fix allot of the major issues in this game it will not be more than 2 years before they shut the servers down for good