Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
02-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Ship combat is great and really makes you have to think to use abilities and cycle skills.

Ground combat is also great, like the flanking and combination of effects

Graphics are really good, the effects both add information and are great to look at.

They are making it better every day.

I have found lots of missions to do, the explore sectors have had unique missions in many places.

People have all been friendly.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
1. Character creation - probably one of the most extensive I have ever seen.
2. Lots of Trek references in the game.. they even have jumja sticks, which made me really happy
3. Fire extinguisher!
4. Social places like Risa and Spacedock
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-04-2010, 03:06 PM
NO ELVES.
Seriously, I think the reason about a million people are registered with this game is that there is a substantial population out there that is sick and tired of generic fantasy worlds with elves and swords.

The game runs amazingly well on my very old computer. I bought this computer to play Everquest 2 when it came out, and it runs this game better than it ever ran Everquest 2!

This is a spaceship game with customizable NPC crew. I can't say enough how important this is to me. Not since Starflight back on the Sega Genesis have I actually been allowed in a space game to make, name, and upgrade a crew of my own. Earth and Beyond, EVE, and other online space games skipped that step entirely for some reason, making the atmosphere of "ship captain" kind of isolated and false-feeling.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah, and one more thing, and this thing is likely to incite a flamewar, but so be it:

It's based in the classic timeline, not the flash-in-the-pan shaky camera and lens flare laden recent movie setting.

Star Trek has always been about exploration, diplomacy, ethical dilemmas, and tactical battles that are decided by the skill of the captains, not on some stupid childish notion like "Destiny". Destiny is a lazy hack-writer shortcut.

While I'm at it, I can't help but remember the part at the end of the movie with the adolescent hissy fit on the part of the new Kirk: "We can beam survivors aboard and help you. No? THEN I FIRE ON YOUR ALREADY DEAD SHIP NEEEEEEH!"

Horrible, horrible movie. It's the cool thing to defend it, I know.