Ensign
I can't say that the game has been, "ruined," for me since the calendar has been gone, but I can say that I've cut back on my playing time by about 90% because it's hard to find people to play with for the things that I want to do.

I really think that you guys threw the baby out with the bathwater here. Most of the fleet that I'm in has disappeared since this change, and I can understand why. I think that you guys need to do a reverse course on this ASAP. I believe that you can make the original system considerably better by offering the following daily/hourly events with a 10-15% bonus:
An hour for each reputation, Omega, Romulan, Nukara, Dyson
An hour for, PvE Queue Events that reward dilithium and fleet marks
Mirror Universe Incursion (how could you get rid of this?!?)
An hour for Foundry missions
An hour for PvP
An hour for Crafting
An hour for Episodes (yes, give us an hour with some perks for re-running episodes)

That's 10 hours of content. Each event will run at least twice a day, giving people in all time zones a shot at the stuff that they want/need.

You can leave out the mining event... You can leave out the multiphasic event. Leave out the shuttle event. (or expand the shuttle event with more shuttle content) Keep tour the universe the way it is now. Get rid of the Academy event. Get rid of the Path to 2409.

I also think that you should experiment some... Perhaps, once a week or so, have a, "gambling hour," where Dabo rewards are doubled, and opening a lock box gives you a slightly higher chance of good stuff, or special items that don't normally drop from lock boxes. (this might even result in an increase in master key sales)

Perhaps a, "mini-games hour," where Dilithium mining, scanning for particle samples, etc all gave a boost.

If you notice that a specific event isn't getting much play time, then perhaps you need to update that content, or the rewards for that content. Or you need to try finding something else to run during that hour.

Now, I would be totally cool with you turning all of these hourly events off for the "big weekend events," but on a day to day basis, I really think that the hourly events helped to bring people together to run content.

Last edited by hunterap; 02-17-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Ensign
# 2
02-18-2014, 01:05 AM
Interesting, I haven't noticed any change in the ability to do anything that requires a group. But, I guess it's different for everybody. I tend to think that the development team has already taken a look at the numbers which is why they are doing this. They have probably already got an idea of what people are doing at what times.

I understand the distress some might feel at not having the events hourly. However, most of the complaints are from people that haven't given the weekend events a chance. I say this because we have barely had the opportunity to run through a series of events. You may find that the bonus event coming this weekend more than satisfies your mark needs for the month freeing you to do other things.
Ensign
# 3
02-18-2014, 05:24 AM
I'm currently free to do anything I want at any time. The problem is that everyone else is also free to do the same, and everyone is going in a variety of different directions.

I challenge you to pop on a Klingon toon and quickly find a Defera group, or a battlezone group during off-peak hours. I spent 20 minutes trying to find a KDF group on Defera the other night. I gave up and logged off.

With the hourly events, there was a much greater chance of finding people to do this kind of stuff during off-peak hours. In my opinion, it was one of the best features of STO.

And I have no complaints about the weekend events. I was quite happy with the extra dilithium during the last event, and I'm sure that I'll be happy with the extra marks from the next one... but what about the dead zone in between? Essentially, going to this, twice a month schedule of events is going to cause me to only play during those events. In the mean time, I'm going to find other games to play, and that's going to mean no more money for STO from me.

I don't see why we can't have both the weekend events, and the daily/hourly events. Again, it's not that I'm upset about the lack of bonus from the daily events... I'm upset about the lack of people participating in various content. Before the player base had some direction, and players would gravitate towards the same content at the same time. Without that structure, it is considerably harder to find groups.

I am a canary. I'm usually one of the first ones to go. I try to let people know before it's too late, but they rarely listen. The removal of hourly events will slowly deplete the player base of STO. They would do well to bring them back ASAP, before too many people find something else to play.
Captain
# 4
02-18-2014, 05:32 AM
Agreed with your solution.

Although my fleet has stayed intact and I'm still doing what I was doing before the calendar removal, its harder for me to contribute to the fleet (not being able to log in every day due to real life). I cannot be sure that when we finally get a Fleet Mark weekend, I'll be there. I missed the entire Dilithium weekend due to real life.

Your suggestion not only restores the Calendar, it also gets rid of all stupid events. Maybe put 2409 back there for the accolade hunters (such as myself :})
Not knowing something isn't a sign of stupidity, not asking is.
WE NEED THE EXCELSIOR ERA BRIDGES INGAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Undine of Ganalda - a forum light RP game
Proud leader of Delta Task Force
Ensign
# 5
02-18-2014, 05:43 AM
My point was that it should make it easier to do a variety of activities as opposed to hitting a specific zone at specific times because that is what everyone is doing. If there is no real pressure to grind marks or dilithium, then people are free to play the game without being so task oriented. I think the dead zones are something they are trying to address.

I haven't noticed any change in my ability to group regardless of faction. I am not saying it hasn't impacted others. I suspect they will be working on the dynamics of the event system over the coming months, hence the suggestion that we wait and see. I don't really see the game hemorrhaging players because the hourly events are gone. I know many, like myself that seldom managed to catch the hourly events with any frequency.
Career Officer
# 6
02-18-2014, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyloe View Post
My point was that it should make it easier to do a variety of activities as opposed to hitting a specific zone at specific times because that is what everyone is doing. If there is no real pressure to grind marks or dilithium, then people are free to play the game without being so task oriented. I think the dead zones are something they are trying to address.

I haven't noticed any change in my ability to group regardless of faction. I am not saying it hasn't impacted others. I suspect they will be working on the dynamics of the event system over the coming months, hence the suggestion that we wait and see. I don't really see the game hemorrhaging players because the hourly events are gone. I know many, like myself that seldom managed to catch the hourly events with any frequency.
Your basic premise assumes a large and dynamically active population of gamers, this is something we do not have. If you take the 20,000 or so players that are online at anyone time (a generous guess) and split that population into the 20 or so most active zones, you end up with about 1000 in each. Some of those people will be AFK, some will be running private instances, some will be on the exchange or doing tasks for individuals such as doffing, mining etc, you can see now that without some sort of group focus it doesn't leave many for the event queues.

This is why it takes anywhere between 10 and 40 min to get in a mine trap, or 5 - 15 min for SBFD, even ISE has got a queuing time for it now, and many events have the --- where there should be a wait time. The --- means it cannot be calculated due to inactivity. As for joining KDF queues, well you can forget that, you don't need to watch the clock for a KDF SBFD you need to watch the calendar!

I like the OP's idea, I agree wholeheartedly with his observations, and I too feel this hourly event needs to be revisited with the utmost urgency.
Lieutenant
# 7
02-18-2014, 10:13 AM
I agree. I really miss the Bonus Marks 3 hour windows. And weekend events don't cut it for me since I'm frequently traveling on weekends and don't have an opportunity to play. And without the Mirror Universe to rapidly advance a new Captain I won't be starting any new Captains. I mean really, after 6 Captains do I really need to do all those episodes AGAIN?? Before I only did the missions I had to and the ones that awarded gear I needed. I could advance 3-4 grades in a single 1 hour Mirror Universe event to make up for the missions I skipped.

Here's what I'd like to see:

-An expedited path to level 50 for players with other level 50's already. Something like what they're doing with the reputation systems.

-hour events brought back (especially Mirror Universe) without the ones few people used

I'm a "Wallet Warrior", I love trying out new ships and frequently sell lots of Master Keys to raise enough credits to buy ships off the exchange. What I spend (averaging $300/month for the past 11 months I've played the game) probably puts me in the top 5-10% of players. But lately my interest in the game has been decreasing. I even took a 3 week break back in December. The only thing that got me back in it was starting a new KDF Engineer Captain. If the game continues as is I probably won't be playing it much longer.

AirBear
Omega Rangers

Last edited by airbear8; 02-18-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Ensign
# 8
02-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterap View Post
I can't say that the game has been, "ruined," for me since the calendar has been gone, but I can say that I've cut back on my playing time by about 90% because it's hard to find people to play with for the things that I want to do.

I really think that you guys threw the baby out with the bathwater here. Most of the fleet that I'm in has disappeared since this change, and I can understand why. I think that you guys need to do a reverse course on this ASAP. I believe that you can make the original system considerably better by offering the following daily/hourly events with a 10-15% bonus:
An hour for each reputation, Omega, Romulan, Nukara, Dyson
An hour for, PvE Queue Events that reward dilithium and fleet marks
Mirror Universe Incursion (how could you get rid of this?!?)
An hour for Foundry missions
An hour for PvP
An hour for Crafting
An hour for Episodes (yes, give us an hour with some perks for re-running episodes)

That's 10 hours of content. Each event will run at least twice a day, giving people in all time zones a shot at the stuff that they want/need.

You can leave out the mining event... You can leave out the multiphasic event. Leave out the shuttle event. (or expand the shuttle event with more shuttle content) Keep tour the universe the way it is now. Get rid of the Academy event. Get rid of the Path to 2409.

I also think that you should experiment some... Perhaps, once a week or so, have a, "gambling hour," where Dabo rewards are doubled, and opening a lock box gives you a slightly higher chance of good stuff, or special items that don't normally drop from lock boxes. (this might even result in an increase in master key sales)

Perhaps a, "mini-games hour," where Dilithium mining, scanning for particle samples, etc all gave a boost.

If you notice that a specific event isn't getting much play time, then perhaps you need to update that content, or the rewards for that content. Or you need to try finding something else to run during that hour.

Now, I would be totally cool with you turning all of these hourly events off for the "big weekend events," but on a day to day basis, I really think that the hourly events helped to bring people together to run content.
Mirror Invasion NEEDS TO COME BACK!!!!!!!
Ensign
# 9
02-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Hopefully there are enough of us voicing our concerns to get Cryptic to take a look at this. I would think that the KDF queues would provide enough evidence to show that there's a real problem here.
Ensign
# 10
02-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Oh, and one other suggestion, should you bring these back... Allow us the option of having a broadcast message just before an event is scheduled to start, and when an event starts. This way, we'll get a popup letting us know that the event is starting. (Similar to the popups we get when someone gets a ship from a lockbox.)