Lt. Commander
# 1 A NOOB MMO'er Speaks...
02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Let me start this post of by disqualifying my knowledge of MMOs so you all have an understand of my perspective.

First: I have never played an MMO, except STO
Second: I have played MANY games throughout the years of NUMEROUS genres. Platform to PC.
Third: I am an UNFORGIVING Trekker. I don't wear the costomes and go to conventions, but it's on my TV - a lot, and I really enjoy the content.

I happen to really love this game. I have nothing to compare it to - genre speaking - so I am not really sure what to expect in that sense. As a Trek fan, there are things I do expect. For me... I enjoy leveling up and gaining new skills (old school RPG'r here), and getting the next ship, and dropping sweet weapons on it, and "phew phew phewing" as someone said, during ship to ship combat.

I find most games fairly repetitive - so I don't really find this one much different.

Does the game have it's issues? Yeah sure, like most games, but I am enjoying it just the same.

I am not sure if I'm the guy that Cryptic is marketing this game to, but if they are, it worked. I have the game, and I will continue to play the game until I get boring. I am not a MARATHON man with gaming by any stretch, but I have my moments. I played this game for 4 hours the other night, and that may or may not be a lot to some, but it was a lot for me. Why did I play this long? Well... it was damn fun. Didn't want to stop playing.

I enjoy being part of Star Trek mythos. It's incredibly fun. For Trekkers there really hasn't been much out there, other than the shows, and some old FASA RPG books from the 80s, that allowed fans to be PART of the mythos. I find that STO does that for me. Sure there have been games, but they have been pretty sad IMO.

When I play this game, I generally play with a buddy, and we sort of galavant together. It's a lot of fun to run around on planets with each other, and it's a lot of fun to engage in ship-to-ship battle together.

I can't really say that this game will stick forever, but my hope is this, that Cryptic handless the Trek universe with the INCREDIBLE respect that it deserves. I am no idiot, I understand that the bottom-line will be the deciding factor, so my hope is that they continue to take steps to maintain their subscription base enough to allow the game to last for years to come.

I would be fairly disappointed if the game died...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Your sincerity is validated by me:

You called yourself a TREKKER. Not "trekkie", Trekker. I made that mistake once in my life. *ONCE*. I called a trekker a "trekkie" and they lost their friggin' mind on me, although I'm kinda convinced there wasn't a lot to lose. But that's a side story.

I digress.

As a TREKKER, I'm glad you're enjoying it. As a GAMER I hope you continue to enjoy it, and welcome to MMO addiction.

We meet twice a week and every other Sunday.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Louis.Martin View Post
Third: I am an UNFORGIVING Trekker.
Hmm then the shoot at all enemies without trying some diplomatic talk (or are you playing the KDF?) must bug you just a tiny bit.

but agree, like the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Well said mate,

my sentiments exactly
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
Hmm then the shoot at all enemies without trying some diplomatic talk (or are you playing the KDF?) must bug you just a tiny bit.

Yeah, a bit. but I not really sure how you would do that in a "video game" capacity.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post

We are at war! We have to fight the enemy! This isn't the time of peace that was TNG, this is DS9 and beyond.
We must protect the Federation at all costs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm a lot like the OP.

STO is my first MMO, but I've play a CRAP-LOAD of other games, mostly on PC.

Also a diehard Trek fan for 32 yrs. (my god I'm getting old!!!)

And I'm so glad I bought the Lifetime sub. I was very hesitant for a while... But so long as Cryptic does what is says it will, I'll be happy for a long time w/ this game!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArykGrev View Post
I'm a lot like the OP.

STO is my first MMO, but I've play a CRAP-LOAD of other games, mostly on PC.

Also a diehard Trek fan for 32 yrs. (my god I'm getting old!!!)

And I'm so glad I bought the Lifetime sub. I was very hesitant for a while... But so long as Cryptic does what is says it will, I'll be happy for a long time w/ this game!
Glad there is another die-hard Trek fan out there who is new to MMOs and enjoying this game!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I have played many other MMO's myself and I love this game too. I find it a blast and could play for many hours at a time. I am a trekker for 30 some years and I watch the shows and movies over and over.
I really like your post
John
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Louis.Martin View Post
Glad there is another die-hard Trek fan out there who is new to MMOs and enjoying this game!
I'm a huge Trek fan as well ("trekkie", "trekker", either way doesn't bother me) and this is also my first MMO. I'm having a blast with it...many missions are repetitive, but it hasn't bothered me...yet.