Lt. Commander
# 1 Are you a Trekkie or Trekker?
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
After reading a flaming post about Trekkie carebears, I figured I would set the record stright. lol

So what do you cal yourself when it comes to Trek? BTW I said I was a trekker in the other post, but I am really a Trekkie. lol

1. Trekkie - Are often fans of the show but tend not to too heavily engage in the geekyer aspects of it such as conventions or creating their own uniform, righting fan scripts. Still likely to own plenty of DVD/PC Games on the subject buts thatís about it.

2. Trekkers - Tend to be much more devoted/fanatical and noticeably geekier, oftern sporting uniforms from the show in public with out much reason. Speaking Klingon to their friends (though most Treckies know the odd phrase her or there) and having hundreds of pounds (yes, not dollars) worth of Star Trek memorabilia.

Does that sound about right? Got this off the UD. lol

Again so what are you?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
TREKKIE!

10char
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Trekkie. I'm a much bigger Star Wars fan and if I was going to dress like anything it would be a Sith.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 01:37 PM
I've never worn a Trek uniform or written fan fiction, but I'm pretty farkin' into Star Trek - closer to 2 than 1 but I've always considered myself to be a Trekkie. Often when I hear Trekkers explain why they are Trekkers and not Trekkies the reasons sound a little self important to me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I would look awful in a uniform, so I`m a trekkie
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Chat has always assumed that Trekker is a traveler.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 01:42 PM
trekkie
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Trekkie was originally seen as pejorative.

I would not be a Trekker by this system, but since I can explain how Warp Drive works, tell you the warhead mass of a photon torpedo (TNG era -- two kilograms) and have seen every Trek (except TMP) at the earliest possible showing on opening day, I'd say I'm a bit more than this definition of Trekkie.

I don't like either label. The don't sound right to me... as words. Trek is pretty good word, but once one starts conjugating it it sounds awkward (trekked, trekking), I'm a Star Trek Fan, or Trek Fan, if I bother labeling myself, but that is no reflection on people who choose to be Trekkers or Trekkies.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Trekkie

I like the sound better than "Trekker". "Trekker" always sounded a bit pretentious, like someone who "didn't want to be called a Trekkie".

For the record. I've owned half a dozen uniforms, collected resin castings off studio props, made my own props, modified toys, built models, customized models, written fan fiction, made drawings, blueprints, comic strips, and even a flash cartoon. I've held the position of the president of a fan club, vice president of two clubs, founding member of three.. I've held office on the regional level of an international fan club, I've edited newsletters, planned social events, and run and played hundreds of role-playing games. And in highschool, I made my own tribbles. In the years following I made my own commbadges, and latex appliances, and more. I've attended countless conventions, and worked staff on many of them.

The problem with the terms "Trekker" vs "Trekkie" isn't what one group does, and what one group doesn't do.. it's people who try to arbitrarily pigeonhole people based on whichever of the two terms they like.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverisms View Post
Trekkie was originally seen as pejorative.

I would not be a Trekker by this system, but since I can explain how Warp Drive works, tell you the warhead mass of a photon torpedo (TNG era -- two kilograms) and have seen every Trek (except TMP) at the earliest possible showing on opening day, I'd say I'm a bit more than this definition of Trekkie.

I don't like either label. The don't sound right to me... as words. Trek is pretty good word, but once one starts conjugating it it sounds awkward (trekked, trekking), I'm a Star Trek Fan, or Trek Fan, if I bother labeling myself, but that is no reflection on people who choose to be Trekkers or Trekkies.
i have to agree with maverisms here, by these definitions i am probably a Trekkie, simply because i've never been to a con, or dressed up Star trek, although i have written fan fiction for my own edification. it is a tough one.

p.s.
know this is the wrong forum to complain, but i spend a ton of time d/l ing this headstart, and patching, and every time i go to log on, the stinking server is down, or i have to wait nearly an hour to get onto the server, and once i get on, it announces that it's goin' down in ten minutes. so on day 3 of the head start i have gotten a whopping ten minutes of gameplay in. i'm just sayin cause i know a lot of ppl. are in this same boat. (srry STEAM users, i feel for ya!)