Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Captain
^^ Read the topic @Cryptic. Seems like a major case of the why the [expletive].
Republic Veteran
# 2
02-20-2014, 06:49 PM
i'll just leave this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Captain
# 3
02-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssme-8fnTPM
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Is this meant to be named after Montgomery Scott or General Bernard Montgomery (WW2 British General)?

If it was meant to be named after Montgomery Scott, then shouldn't it be the Scott-class? And if it is, then what about the U.S.S. Montgomery Scott that was destroyed in the Path to 2409? Then wouldn't this be the Montgomery Scott A-class?
Captain
# 5
02-20-2014, 06:57 PM
I would assume it is not named after Scotty. It would be incredibly odd to use someone's first name rather then last.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 6
02-20-2014, 07:12 PM
I suspect it is named after Scotty, as the Omega is likely named after the Omega Molecules.

I still think it's mildly disgraceful for one of the most prominent engineers to grace Starfleet wind up with a tactical alien-tech-based science ship named after them. (I get the whole dyson sphere angle, but the character deserves better. It'd be like naming an Andorian Mining Freighter the Spock Class.)
Captain
# 7
02-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerontzur View Post
I suspect it is named after Scotty, as the Omega is likely named after the Omega Molecules.

I still think it's mildly disgraceful for one of the most prominent engineers to grace Starfleet wind up with a tactical alien-tech-based science ship named after them. (I get the whole dyson sphere angle, but the character deserves better. It'd be like naming an Andorian Mining Freighter the Spock Class.)
If it were named after Scotty it would either be the Scott Class or the Montgomery Scott Class.

As Montgomery is one of the most famous Generals of his era and has had movies made about him and his exploits - Montgomery versus Rommel - it seems far more likely that it was named after him.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 8
02-20-2014, 07:18 PM
First name ship: Miranda, Aurora, vesta, Hope, Cheyenne, Dakota, Destiny, Luna, and all the God Name ships

I mean, to name a technological advanced ship after a Field Marshall from WW2 is a verrrrrrryyyy thin connection knowing a Montgomery, the famoust Starfleet Enfineer, lived on a Sphere in Star Trek.

Other possible first name Montgomery possibilities: Montgomery Cliff, Montgomery Burns, Montgomery Fiske, Dr. Montgomery Montgomery, Montgomery Bus Boycott
Captain
# 9
02-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmanfred View Post
First name ship: Miranda, Aurora, vesta, Hope, Cheyenne, Dakota, Destiny, Luna, and all the God Name ships
Those are not "first name" ships. The Aurora is not named after Aurora Jones. The Vesta is not names after Vesta Hopkins. The Luna is not names after Luna Paccuchi. The Dakota is not named after Dakota Fanning. Those names are all singular nouns, not people's first names.
Career Officer
# 10
02-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmanfred View Post

I mean, to name a technological advanced ship after a Field Marshall from WW2 is a verrrrrrryyyy thin connection knowing a Montgomery, the famoust Starfleet Enfineer, lived on a Sphere in Star Trek.

Other possible first name Montgomery possibilities: Montgomery Cliff, Montgomery Burns, Montgomery Fiske, Dr. Montgomery Montgomery, Montgomery Bus Boycott
Lets see... first off none of those are First Name ships. Cheyenne is a tribe of Native Americans, not a first name, Dakota the same. Luna is the name of a Moon Goddess (no last name), Aurora is about lights (as in the Borialis). Hope and Destiny are certainly not first names (I have HOPE that your DESTINY is better then mine). But then with the shape of education in the world today, I shouldn't be surprised.

So lets see, naming a technologically advanced ship, whose purpose is tactical/science from a person who used armor and scouting to defeat one of the best generals in WWII, and a hero no less to the British people and the world for destroying one a culture of evil, shouldn't have a ship named after him?

And no ships are named after last names. Hence you don't have a USS Katheryn or a USS Jean Luc, you have a USS Janeway and a USS Picard. It's not the Jean Luc maneuver its the Picard Manauver. Its not the USS James, its the USS Kirk. If you must name a ship using a first name, you always do the full name so as not to add confusion (its not the USS Carl, its the USS CARL VINSON from a more real ship).

So no it's not named for Mongomery Scott (though I can understand why anyone would think it with the connection between Scottie and the Sphere).

Though I will admit it may be from the Montgomery from Alabama, (Modern ships are often named for major cities).